Author Topic: Audi Q5 Factory Trailer Hitch and Electrical  (Read 26307 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Audi Q5 Factory Trailer Hitch and Electrical
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:50 pm »
Wow, pushing $2000 for an installed hitch. The boys at the Audi store must get a chuckle when they are asked if they'll "throw one in."  ;D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:50 pm »
Wow, pushing $2000 for an installed hitch. The boys at the Audi store must get a chuckle when they are asked if they'll "throw one in."  ;D

You should have seen the look on the face of the SM when I wanted the $5k winter wheels and tires. FGC.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 07:09:06 am »
I forgot to mention that it has a built-in single cup espresso machine and an automated trailer hookup and self-parking system.  Put that in your liederhausen. ;)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 07:28:58 am »
I forgot to mention that it has a built-in single cup espresso machine and an automated trailer hookup and self-parking system.  Put that in your liederhausen. ;)
Really a espresso machine , what a lie  :nono:

Blutwurst oven and a beer tap I could see  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 10:55:34 am »

:rofl2: Auto trailer hookup....thats worth $2k  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 11:05:21 am »

:rofl2: Auto trailer hookup....thats worth $2k  ;D
And it makes me breakfast in bed and folds up the trailer for me.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »
Maybe ALL tow hitch installations should do this.  After all with computers controlling the engine, transmission, brakes AND the stability systems it is a good idea.  It is only software  but that takes a fair amount of money to design.

If only there was some vague standardization. Tow mode = short this pin. Else leave open.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:51 am »
Maybe ALL tow hitch installations should do this.  After all with computers controlling the engine, transmission, brakes AND the stability systems it is a good idea.  It is only software  but that takes a fair amount of money to design.

If only there was some vague standardization. Tow mode = short this pin. Else leave open.

Yeah, my truck has a little button on the end of the shifter for this, its called Tow/Haul mode. Would be easier to install a button then try to standardize the whole towing industry.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:07 pm »
Time to resurrect my own old thread.  I recently returned from a whirlwind 4-day round trip to Arkansas to fetch my daughter's stuff.  Packed the biggest dual axle UHaul trailer to the gunwales and lived to tell the tale.  We towed a round trip of 4500 km and averaged 8.6 l/100 km at a fairly steady 120km/h on the way down sans trailer.  Average l/100 km for the return trip hovered at around 13.3 though my calculations show a combined trip average of 11.3 l/100km.  Empty weight for the trailer is 1920 lb according to UHAUL --> https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/RV/  The thing was stuffed with my daughter's kaboodle, so I'm going to estimate 4000 lb laden.

Verdict:  The Q5 pulled like a champ.  The trailer was almost as heavy as the tow rig but there were no issues, probably because of the built-in hydraulic surge brake on the trailer.  Once I had it adjusted, the Q5 didn't feel it.  While the car does hold the gear longer when accelerating, it does so smoothly.  Braking wasn't an issue either.  Likely the Q7 will be just as good.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
Whatever.  A friend of mine towed one of those with a mid 90's Jetta TDI.  (Apparently the Uhaul guy was shocked they let him drive off with it)

Seriously though, that's really impressive.  The Q5 is not a large vehicle at all and for it to comfortably tow that is really impressive.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 03:13:14 pm »
Whatever.  A friend of mine towed one of those with a mid 90's Jetta TDI.  (Apparently the Uhaul guy was shocked they let him drive off with it)

Seriously though, that's really impressive.  The Q5 is not a large vehicle at all and for it to comfortably tow that is really impressive.
LOL!  I remember towing a UHaul trailer with my 1974 Audi Fox.  It was an Audi.  It was also 4 cylinders.  That is where the similarity ends!  I can't say the Fox was a good tow machine but it didn't blow up at least.  Here is the trip:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 09:01:30 am »
That's some seriously good fuel economy for pulling that much weight (and a square front).  What speed were you towing at?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 09:07:20 am »
That's some seriously good fuel economy for pulling that much weight (and a square front).  What speed were you towing at?
110 - 112 km/h on the cruise control.  GPS told me we were actually doing ~105 - 106 km/h