Poll

Do you run winter tires or all-seasons during the winter months?

Winter Tires
354 (76.5%)
All-Season Tires
109 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: POLL: Winters vs All-Season Tires  (Read 358241 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: POLL: Winters vs All-Season Tires
« Reply #340 on: December 01, 2014, 04:24:07 pm »
   Maybe better winter driving technique might replace stupidity in your diatribe perhaps. There seems to be a concerted effort here to dis. All Weather tires also. Even cold dry pavement is in play now. Anyone done any tests on the temperature of all season rubber after a few miles of running on sub zero pavement.
   It seems to me that the slope tests were using Summer tires which I thought are not All Season. So perhaps harder compound to start with. Maybe the results would be similar but we will never know.
   The next stage is studs which would presumably be better still and require steeper slopes. Oh and more taxes to repair roads.
   What I think is appropriate is a decent median in one tyre and a scientific...and pragmatic approach to arrive at such a state. So that the learning curve that folk go through every year when 'and if' snow arrives...becomes easier.

No...we all know that there is little to no interest in becoming a better driver. Unless the government mandated skid control and re-testing every 10 years, very few of the A->B drones would care enough to improve their technique so thats right out. All season should be absolutely banned as a term in Canada, New Mexico, Texas and Arizona, sure, all seasons, Canada....maybe 3 seasons at best. All seasons are far too compromised to be good at everything, you cant expect mileage, handling, wet/ice grip and quiet out of one tire. I don't see why you have such a huge issue with winter tires, every test ever made against all seasons the winter tire kicked a$$, no ifs and or buts about it. Is it that hard to swap a set of tires twice a year?? Is a half an hour, a jack and tire wrench twice a year that difficult?? Is a 2-3' diameter spot in your garage that hard to find for storage?? Seems that you are willing to so easily dismiss winters as a plaything for the wealthy when in reality, they are quite reasonable and would help anyone facing snow and ice.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 01, 2014, 04:24:46 pm »
'Obviously'...or 'did not'. Which is it?

Gosh, no mention of All Weather now.

I suspect that A to B ers  get back to A again just as reliably as 'drivers'.

Snow tires are better in snow than All Season or All Weather. There is no doubt about this I would think. Arguably twice as poor environmentally though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:44:14 pm by Rupert »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #342 on: December 14, 2014, 09:19:36 pm »
I have been using winter tires seasonally since 2006. And I live further south than most everyone on this board.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline NorPlan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • Professional Tool Caddy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler 200
« Reply #343 on: May 13, 2015, 04:16:28 pm »
 ;) Here in Eastern Ontario less than an Hour's Drive from Quebec where Winter Snow Tires are a Mandated Necessity...  Absolutely No Agrument on the Pros & Cons..  ::). We've been using Winter Snows on the last 5 vehicles we've owned.. World of Difference  with Proper Traction...
Take Pride In Your Ride...

Offline zainmanji13

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda, Toyota, BMW, Acura, Ford, Chevrolet, Mercedes, Audi
« Reply #344 on: April 16, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »
I used to only put All Season tires on my Toyota because I found it a pain to SPAM my SPAM. But I've started using this company called SPAM, because they come to your home or office and will do SPAM changes and any other SPAM repair service. They're a mobile SPAM company. It was better because I didn't have to waste time at a shop. They're a really exciting and quality company, and I'd recommend them to anyone. I found them through SPAM and SPAM.

*Post modified by the admin. All complaints to Hornel @ Food Corp.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:55:51 am by JacobBlack »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #345 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:43 pm »
I bought two sets of winter tires last autumn and I really don't want to buy a set of tires this year. From May to September, I'm planning on doing about 4000km of driving. Can I just leave the winters on?

Should've listened to myself and bought all weathers.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 12, 2019, 04:55:50 pm »
Can you sell your winters in the fall and just put on all weather tires now?

I'm sure they'd be fine for 4000km. But they are Blizzaks sooooooo....

Not sure I'd want to tow a trailer with squishy winters.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #347 on: March 12, 2019, 07:43:47 pm »
Can you sell your winters in the fall and just put on all weather tires now?

I'm sure they'd be fine for 4000km. But they are Blizzaks sooooooo....

Not sure I'd want to tow a trailer with squishy winters.

That's something I've been considering, going with all weathers or all terrains that have the 3PMSS (3 peak mountain snowflake symbol). I've also been on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace looking for a decent set of used tires but almost everything's overpriced. There are some tire/wheel combos from 4Runners and Tacomas that could work. Worst case, I could get Motomaster APXs from Canadian Tire when they go on sale. I'm in no huge rush anyway since my tires will stay on until at least the end of April. We have a camping trip planned end of April.

There's this, like new take offs, $400.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1418873062&siteLocale=en_CA&requestSource=b