Author Topic: '21 VENZA winter tire decision  (Read 32789 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: '21 VENZA winter tire decision
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 03:47:15 pm »
Might be worth watching this from Tyre Reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3WssIxusLU&t=908s
yea, many reviews i've seen have all praised the Cross Climate2 tires...if i choose to go this route, it's likely the tire i'd choose.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2021, 04:14:36 pm »
So storing the tires at your place and taking the 30-45 min twice a year to do the swap over isnt an option at all?? Like tires can sit very well outside under a cover in a forgotten part of your yard for the season, they don't have to be inside at 22C.
if he's like me he's old age is starting to do Triage on the DIY stuff...  ;D
  It does indeed.  Bad back, bad knees and  arthritis starting in the hands.    No lifting much, no kneeling and using a jar opener not just hands. 

Gets much worse and I'll want to be uploaded into a Tesla's computers!
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2021, 04:16:49 pm »
   If I decide not to get the Golf R ( heard nothing yet about delivery) and get an ID4 instead I think I'll get those Cross-Climate tires for all year.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2021, 05:04:22 pm »

yea, many reviews i've seen have all praised the Cross Climate2 tires...if i choose to go this route, it's likely the tire i'd choose.

Wonder how cold it got in that Finnish snow test? With my all weather tires that's really where the difference is. They're great up to about -10 or so, and the Nokian WR's on my parents car are the same way

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2021, 05:17:02 pm »
It doesn't get super cold in London that often.

I can see that being the case. The rubber can only be so flexible to deal with the summer heat.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2021, 05:34:40 pm »

Pay 50 bucks a season to a neighbour's kids to help with heavy lifting  ;)  Although it doesn't solve your storage issue.

Dedicated winters are the best option with 17" or 18" rims. Lots to choose from and affordable too.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2021, 05:56:23 pm »
I've never used tire storage but why are people so against it? Couple hundred dollars a year, no need to store tires, lug it around, dirty the interior of the vehicle. Just drive to the shop, swap, go home.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2021, 06:30:14 pm »
Reasons against:

- beholden to a shop and making an appointment having to go there yada yada
- tires/wheels in garage can put them on late if winter late..
- allows owner inspection of brakes and suspension components. Don't forget to grease the caliper pins!
- $200 is $200. Is there mount/dismount charges?
- keeps you current for roadside tire changes lol
-shop airgun set at 400 ft lbs .

For:

Convenience

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2021, 07:51:20 pm »
It doesn't get super cold in London that often.

I can see that being the case. The rubber can only be so flexible to deal with the summer heat.
we can get some pretty cold days, but if the weather is bad, i can just work from home now anyway...i'll likely work a day or two from home in the winter anyway...that's another reason why i was considering skipping it this winter to see how bad it is, but i'm a big supporter of winter tires so it's hard for me NOT to put them on...but winter tires, plus wheels/rims, plus install, plus TPMS plus taxes is looking like it will be $2500 plus another $160/year to store them...that's a lot of a money...if i got the all weather tires, it's about half that price and no swaps/storage needed...i could also sell my tires to get some of that money back, but i'm not really sure i'd find a buyer for these tires as they are pretty specific in size.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 09:43:05 am »
Honestly if I lived in southern Ontario I wouldn't bother with winter tires. Maybe one of the cars if I absolutely had to get somewhere.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 10:10:30 am »
I used winter tires in Vancouver. It just takes that one day of frozen rain to screw over anybody who doesn't have good ice tires on their vehicle.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 10:40:38 am »
Or you just work from home for that one day.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 10:45:31 am »
Or you just work from home for that one day.
yea, this is now and option for me.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 10:51:03 am »
An option for me. Not an option for many people.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2021, 12:52:12 pm »
Honestly if I lived in southern Ontario I wouldn't bother with winter tires. Maybe one of the cars if I absolutely had to get somewhere.

Depends on if you're using the province's definition of Southern. Definitely wouldn't be without winters in the Ottawa Area. GTA I can see where you're coming from but also I think it lets you avoid a lot of bad situations. One accident avoided pays for the entire set of wheels and tires and then some.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2021, 12:53:31 pm »

Depends on if you're using the province's definition of Southern. Definitely wouldn't be without winters in the Ottawa Area. GTA I can see where you're coming from but also I think it lets you avoid a lot of bad situations. One accident avoided pays for the entire set of wheels and tires and then some.

This is where I am at, the amount of floorlicking steering wheel holders I've been able to avoid because of the studded Hakkas, they've paid for themselves many times over.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2021, 01:41:37 pm »
Having lived in the GTA for 10 years I know all it takes is a shift of the wind to come off the lake and the city gets coated in snow making it a mess for days if not weeks. Want to travel north of the GTA, grab a firm grip of the wheel while you say hello whiteouts as cars/trucks are going all over the place. 

Same with London. Once that wind gets dialed in off the lake, the city can quickly turn into a horrible mess.

I guess if you can live without going anywhere and want to take chances, sure, go ahead and skip getting winter tires. Personally, it just isn't worth the risk.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:43:11 pm by quadzilla »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2021, 01:52:31 pm »
That's a good point, that area does get hit hard with the Lake Effect.  One could probably argue that it is easier to get around without winters in Ottawa than it is the GTA.  I find our roads are generally cleared quite quickly, so if you can wait a few hours before going out you'll be ok.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2021, 01:55:34 pm »
Might be able to trade in your stock tires at a tire shop to put towards the cross climates
could be an option...i'll have to look into that if i go that route.

I can foresee phrases like "we need to keep the lights on" and "used tires are used tires, I need to make a couple of bucks off them" being uttered and so in their mind $50 a tire will be a generous offer.
Keep them until spring and sell them when demand is high. Or better yet, keep them for when you sell the car.

And for what it's worth, I've driven a FWD Sonata (Michelin all season tires) to London and wholly crap, do you guys get snow there!
For as long as roads are flat you may be OK on the new all-seasons. Obviously, all-weather and snow tires will offer some/ more than some improvement in snow and ice traction.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:01:53 pm by EV Dan »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2021, 01:58:36 pm »
That's a good point, that area does get hit hard with the Lake Effect.  One could probably argue that it is easier to get around without winters in Ottawa than it is the GTA.  I find our roads are generally cleared quite quickly, so if you can wait a few hours before going out you'll be ok.
i'll give London credit here, they are pretty good snow removal.

keep in mind, if the roads do get bad, i can always take the Sorento as we have winter tires for that vehicle already...it's the Venza i'm trying to decide what to do with.