Author Topic: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs  (Read 21895 times)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
Re: Comparison Test: Mini-Crossover SUVs
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:42 pm »
I drove a friends Juke and must say it was a quick little bugger and a hoot to drive, just too bad its so darn.......well....ugly.  :rofl2:

I'd like that little Chevy better if they put the ATS`2.0L turbo in it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2013, 07:10:08 pm »
love the little Trax. Starting to sell well here at our dealership. Young suburbanites/urbanites love them. The Encore, which we should get in a week or two, will amp things up even more - and the premium is not as much as one would think actually as they can be had loaded for ~$33k. This vehicle really surprised me, and I hate CUVs.
i'm looking forward to some nice reviews of the Buick Encore...i really like the looks of that vehicle and looks to be a pretty solid offering...i wouldn't mind reading a comparo of that and perhaps an MB B250 and other premium compact UTES (include the Tiguan and other units in the $35-$45k range).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »
 Nice to see Subaru as the fuel economy winner in this comparo. That wouldn't be the case in the past.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2013, 08:02:33 pm »
Great review. The pricing of these smaller vehicles (not just in this test) is a bit of a surprise to me with most or all of them above $30k. Smaller size no longer equates to 'affordability' as we saw with the $43k Escape. I was interested to read of the Crosstrek's good cargo carrying capacity, as it doesn't look like it would win that category. Subaru's full time AWD combined with the excellent fuel numbers are a great combination and all trim levels are available with a manual transmission (albeit a 5 speed). The base version starts at $24,500.
WRONG!!!!

Try to be at least to be consistent with the comparison here please.
The $30k for this SUV comparison and the $43k INCLUDE Freight and PDI (but not tax)

The base version of the Crosstrek is $27k before tax (according to Subaru Canada, has some BS other fees)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2013, 09:44:48 pm »
love the little Trax. Starting to sell well here at our dealership. Young suburbanites/urbanites love them. The Encore, which we should get in a week or two, will amp things up even more - and the premium is not as much as one would think actually as they can be had loaded for ~$33k. This vehicle really surprised me, and I hate CUVs.
i'm looking forward to some nice reviews of the Buick Encore...i really like the looks of that vehicle and looks to be a pretty solid offering...i wouldn't mind reading a comparo of that and perhaps an MB B250 and other premium compact UTES (include the Tiguan and other units in the $35-$45k range).

yeah, Mike picked up a B 250 today and I had a similar thought, plus X1 and A3... each one slightly more crossoverish, from the low-slung mini-wagon audi A3 up to B 250, X1, then Encore the tallest. funny how they each take a different approach to the subcompact hatch/crossover...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 11:07:17 pm »
Are there no plans for two door hatch options here with FWD at a lower entry price.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2013, 11:44:55 pm »
...the Juke, which can be fairly described as the demented love-child of a crocodile and a gummy bear...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That one made my day.

;D I have always thought of the Juke as the bastard child of a SAAB 96 and a Lada Niva.

I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline vickenp

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: fit, civic si, protege 5
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 10:18:59 am »
If honda is listening.....u have a market waiting with ur more-fit cuv (when it comes out) - Please provide us something like the one making its rounds, stick shift, sunroof  - loaded and 4x4 capabilities - I'm sure it will easily eat this list up (the comparison list that is) in no time!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 10:24:23 am »
Fiat Panda 4x4 would eat this segment up I would think...awesome little car and was Top Gear's 4x4 of the year.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2013, 12:15:16 pm »
...the Juke, which can be fairly described as the demented love-child of a crocodile and a gummy bear...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That one made my day.

;D I have always thought of the Juke as the bastard child of a SAAB 96 and a Lada Niva.

:rofl: :rofl2:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 12:32:38 pm »

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2013, 12:47:48 pm »
I'll be driving the Encore next week.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »
Interested in knowing what happened to the first Trax.

The little metal clip that holds the rad hose on went AWOL

What you say, sir, is a conspiracy against GM and must, I repeat must, be a one off.

Just like the door release buttons on the Cadillac that didn't work.

The NewGM (tm), Mark of Excellence.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:43 pm »
I'll be driving the Encore next week.

so will I hopefully, on its way from MTL right now to our shop

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:00 pm »
so let me get this straight Lesley put her right foot down so hard it went thru the Trax's floorboard and knocked off the clamp on the rad hose..............

she'll absolutely destroy the Encore (again..again) then................. :stick: :think: :shuffle: .............is she on HGH!!?? 8) :o ..

damn thos Lil critters are expensive and not so expansive.....a niche within a niche  within a niche like those Russian nesting dolls????

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:03:17 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 02:01:22 pm »
so let me get this straight Lesley put her right foot down so hard it went thru the Trax's floorboard and knocked off the clamp on the rad hose..............

she'll absolutely destroy the Encore (again..again) then................. :stick: :think: :shuffle: .............is she on HGH!!?? 8) :o

as an English major your posts make me wince bud...but I understand that is your thing so keep goin...

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:23 pm »
i've always liked the XV...good to see it doing well.

and i don't see a problem with the Trax...i mean, a broken clamp on a rad hose is not really a big deal...sure, you can't drive the vehicle, but i mean, it's a hose clamp, not an engine fire we're talking about here.

good to see the Trax finish second, it looks like a decent vehicle as well...perhaps some day, they'll sell it in the US as well.
Yup, cars that come off the line in Korea with obvious defects, and this one could easily destroy a motor, are just fine, especially when one considers Daewoo's spectacular record of quality and reliability. The cars of The New GM (tm) are easily the highest quality and best engineered in the world. Sure, the last ones had some issues, but the cars of The New GM (tm) are really they Bee's Knees!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »
i've always liked the XV...good to see it doing well.

and i don't see a problem with the Trax...i mean, a broken clamp on a rad hose is not really a big deal...sure, you can't drive the vehicle, but i mean, it's a hose clamp, not an engine fire we're talking about here.

good to see the Trax finish second, it looks like a decent vehicle as well...perhaps some day, they'll sell it in the US as well.
Yup, cars that come off the line in Korea with obvious defects, and this one could easily destroy a motor, are just fine, especially when one considers Daewoo's spectacular record of quality and reliability. The cars of The New GM (tm) are easily the highest quality and best engineered in the world. Sure, the last ones had some issues, but the cars of The New GM (tm) are really they Bee's Knees!

It wouldn't destroy the engine.  As soon as it came off the engine went onto limp mode and told us to pull over when safe.  Like I sad before, we've had far more serious issues

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »
It wouldn't destroy the engine.  As soon as it came off the engine went onto limp mode and told us to pull over when safe.  Like I sad before, we've had far more serious issues with more GM vehicles

There, fixed it for ya  ;)
Did you mean the XTS, when you couldn't get it because the doors won't open?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2013, 03:42:23 pm »
It wouldn't destroy the engine.  As soon as it came off the engine went onto limp mode and told us to pull over when safe.  Like I sad before, we've had far more serious issues with more GM vehicles

There, fixed it for ya  ;)
Did you mean the XTS, when you couldn't get it because the doors won't open?

No, I mean BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and others

The caddy opened, just not with the buttons.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 03:43:58 pm by Mike »