Author Topic: The Motorcycling Thread  (Read 434480 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: The Motorcycling Thread
« Reply #3980 on: April 17, 2024, 10:33:18 pm »
You have a 3-4 week window to move it so time is right. If you price it well it will move. A new 250/300 set up with a few goodies is $16k. with tax out the door.

I'll hunt for your ad but what are you asking?  ;D

edit. Found it. That bike is a great deal at that price. Stay firm on the price. SX head is interesting choice, it must be snorty. I see a variable rate rear spring. What spring rates are in there? or what weight was it sprung for?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:37:10 pm by ktm525 »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3981 on: April 17, 2024, 11:32:32 pm »
Yeah, I had ProAction do the suspension. You might remember the guy - I think his name was Chris? Well known guy in the community, but died of cancer way too young. Probably around ten years ago.

Anyway, yeah progressive spring in the rear. Resprung and revalved for 195 lb intermediate rider (me) but I’ve got the original springs in a box.

SX head is a great mod for these bikes. Adds a ton of low-end grunt. Only problem was that the extra compression was too much for the stock starter/battery to handle, so had to install a lithium batt for a bit extra oomph. Works great and lost a couple pounds too.

Have had way more interest than I was expecting. Guy is driving up from Calgary tomorrow to look at it, so I expect it will be gone soon. Thought the market was still soft, but I guess not. Priced it at $4,500 last year and didn’t get a single bite. That was on kijiji though, so maybe that was the problem, not the price.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: April 17, 2024, 11:59:23 pm »
Yeah, I had ProAction do the suspension. You might remember the guy - I think his name was Chris? Well known guy in the community, but died of cancer way too young. Probably around ten years ago.

Anyway, yeah progressive spring in the rear. Resprung and revalved for 195 lb intermediate rider (me) but I’ve got the original springs in a box.

SX head is a great mod for these bikes. Adds a ton of low-end grunt. Only problem was that the extra compression was too much for the stock starter/battery to handle, so had to install a lithium batt for a bit extra oomph. Works great and lost a couple pounds too.

Have had way more interest than I was expecting. Guy is driving up from Calgary tomorrow to look at it, so I expect it will be gone soon. Thought the market was still soft, but I guess not. Priced it at $4,500 last year and didn’t get a single bite. That was on kijiji though, so maybe that was the problem, not the price.

Yeah Kijiji is dead.. It's a good bike!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3983 on: April 18, 2024, 06:00:21 pm »
His boys own handle bar pierced the inside of the leg and went in a couple inches. 

This is a fairly common injury on mountain bikes, too.  We call it being 'core sampled'.  Most of us use some sort of bar plug which helps protect against that.  Do dirtbikes also not use bar end plugs?

'Core sampled'.........that makes me    :hurl:

Never hurt myself on a motorcycle ever, despite having a couple dirt bikes as a kid, various street bikes most of my life, and tooling around on motorcycles both in Europe and Asia

Then a deer jumps out of a ditch an hour from home and in a split second I broke all kinds of things. You never know

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3984 on: April 18, 2024, 06:22:52 pm »
His boys own handle bar pierced the inside of the leg and went in a couple inches. 

This is a fairly common injury on mountain bikes, too.  We call it being 'core sampled'.  Most of us use some sort of bar plug which helps protect against that.  Do dirtbikes also not use bar end plugs?

'Core sampled'.........that makes me    :hurl:

Never hurt myself on a motorcycle ever, despite having a couple dirt bikes as a kid, various street bikes most of my life, and tooling around on motorcycles both in Europe and Asia

Then a deer jumps out of a ditch an hour from home and in a split second I broke all kinds of things. You never know

:o
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3985 on: April 18, 2024, 10:14:20 pm »
Well, that was easy. Had seven inquiries and sold the bike in one day to the first guy who looked at it. Got my $4,500 too. Think I bought it for $8,999 new, so can’t complain I guess.

Sold it to a younger guy who was looking to replace his KX that he sold last year. Came with his buddy who rides a ‘99 CR125. Nice kids and we had a good chat.

He seemed super happy to get it. Said he’d been looking for ages and passed on so many shady clapped out bikes from shady sellers. I’m happy to pass along a solid bike to someone who’ll appreciate it. He was stoked about all the spares too. Bike came with two sets of tires and three freshly-repaired pipes! He even got the KTM briefcase with all the manuals and the orange pen. Think he got a kick out of that.  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: April 18, 2024, 11:33:56 pm »
Well, that was easy. Had seven inquiries and sold the bike in one day to the first guy who looked at it. Got my $4,500 too. Think I bought it for $8,999 new, so can’t complain I guess.

Sold it to a younger guy who was looking to replace his KX that he sold last year. Came with his buddy who rides a ‘99 CR125. Nice kids and we had a good chat.

He seemed super happy to get it. Said he’d been looking for ages and passed on so many shady clapped out bikes from shady sellers. I’m happy to pass along a solid bike to someone who’ll appreciate it. He was stoked about all the spares too. Bike came with two sets of tires and three freshly-repaired pipes! He even got the KTM briefcase with all the manuals and the orange pen. Think he got a kick out of that.  ;D

Awesome. You don't get a paper manual anymore, just a web address.   ::)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3987 on: April 18, 2024, 11:56:47 pm »
 Nice, straightforward sale. Sounds like it’s going to a good kid.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #3988 on: April 19, 2024, 12:44:59 pm »

Most excellent. Congrats on the sale.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3989 on: April 19, 2024, 01:14:41 pm »
No rear brakes on my G450X.  Looks like it's a Brembo 13mm master cylinder, wonder if I can get a rebuild kit?
No dealer in town, nearest is Ottawa. :P

Lots of generic stuff on Ebay and Amazon that says it'll fit, but probably BS
Mr Pickypants

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #3990 on: April 23, 2024, 10:08:29 am »
No rear brakes on my G450X.  Looks like it's a Brembo 13mm master cylinder, wonder if I can get a rebuild kit?

Shop around, here and in the US. EME shows the Brembo as an 11 mm. I'd buy new.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #3991 on: April 23, 2024, 10:22:38 am »
Sold my 2003 BMW R1150 GSA that I bought new back then, so 20 years of 100% trouble-free use. Looking that I could have rented for 48-60 weeks (2010-2019, 2022 and 2023) and what that would have cost me, I was well ahead big time using my own motorcycle, doing my own maintenance, paying for insurance, tires, lubes and filters.

I wasn't there for the sale. A rider in Spain bought it from where I stored it in Germany. Said he was shipping it to Canada. I thought... ??? Yeah, OK.

Twenty-seven years of touring Europe, the Alps and Corsica, it was now time to ride the less technical, relatively straight roads back home.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3992 on: April 24, 2024, 04:50:28 pm »

I just got it working, it was air in the line, not sure why, will monitor...but it's a hard pedal now.

This shows 13mm, but doesn't matter as I don't need it. https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/oem-parts/bmw-motorrad-brake-master-cylinder-d-13mm-34317711344?
Price at a local shop (best bike mechanic around) was $170 plus tax.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: April 24, 2024, 11:01:51 pm »

I just got it working, it was air in the line, not sure why, will monitor...but it's a hard pedal now.

This shows 13mm, but doesn't matter as I don't need it. https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/oem-parts/bmw-motorrad-brake-master-cylinder-d-13mm-34317711344?
Price at a local shop (best bike mechanic around) was $170 plus tax.

Awesome. Always nice when it is something simple.

I had the new TE300 out for 4 days of single-track riding. Bike is awesome but range seems short. On our epic Sunday loop I burned through 8.5L tank in 55 kms. Singletrack and black/double black stuff but still...I am hoping range improves as it breaks in. The other KTM TPIs (mine is TBI) had fuel to spare. They have thrown a lot more fuel into the mapping.

Oh and I broke my rad fan and ripped the seat. That only took about 2 hours in.  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: May 03, 2024, 06:52:34 am »
Oakville bike night.  Ducati for Lamborghini. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3995 on: May 04, 2024, 10:10:17 pm »
that is some fancy looking bike there, so shiny...

went for the first ride of the year.  tried out my new solid helmet, new boots and, new riding jeans with kevlar lining and D3O ghost armors.
jean is heavy as fxck.  but comfy, and warmer than mesh pants.
new helmet isn't as quiet as i hoped for.  even with earplugs in, my ears were ringing at speed of 90+
super well ventilated though.  i guess that's good.
boots are high/shin length boots, vs ankle length one i had and made shifting more difficult due to lack of mobility.  comfy though.

i guess my over-winter gear shopping sprees resulted in more duds than i hoped for.

was worried i would have forgotten how to ride, but it came back soon as i left my street, so that was nice.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 10:27:57 pm by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: May 05, 2024, 12:17:47 am »

went for the first ride of the year.  tried out my new solid helmet, new boots and, new riding jeans with kevlar lining and D3O ghost armors.
new helmet isn't as quiet as i hoped for.  even with earplugs in, my ears were ringing at speed of 90+
boots are high/shin length boots, vs ankle length one i had and made shifting more difficult due to lack of mobility.  comfy though.

i guess my over-winter gear shopping sprees resulted in more duds than i hoped for.

was worried i would have forgotten how to ride, but it came back soon as i left my street, so that was nice.
Yea, finding gear you love and that fits your body can be tough. And expensive.

I've learned over the years to  just start with the quality gear...because you ultimately seem to end up there but with a few more steps thrown in along the way.

Yea, the purchase price can hurt, but riding in high quality gear is transformative.

I preferred a highly breathable overpant. Can wear whatever you want under and tailor layering as needed. Convenient for wearing to work as you can wear work clothes under. In the summer I just wore tights.  Can let in as much (or little) cool air as needed.

I always upgraded the body armor to my favorite brand. Ditto with the armor in my jacket. If you ultimately have multiple garments, you can just switch the armor around.

Once you figure out your head shape (round oval, intermediate oval, long oval) you'll know what helmets fit you best. And once that's figured out you can do mail order to open up options.

Keep at it....

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: May 05, 2024, 10:25:46 am »
You are right about mail order. I bought two extra helmets I liked from the UK because the fit is perfect and the best helmet I have used (Suomy Mr Jump). They were on closeout so got a good deal and now have dirt lids for life..

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: May 07, 2024, 07:40:48 am »

Remind me what you ride again?

Gear can be a bit hit and miss until you find a solution that's a total winner for you in each category. While you're figuring it out, best to buy from vendors with generous return policies.  I remember returning one pair of boots because I sat on my bike in the garage with them on and simply could not work the gear lever.  :-X

Once you get your choices sorted, buying from vendors in Urp can net you some really major savings - even after deliver and duties are factored in.  Returns, however, can be prohibitively expensive to the point of not being an option.

For me, I find I simply can't go wrong with Five gloves, HJC helmets (RPHA 70, now discontinued - so hoping the RPHA 71 fits the same), Revit jackets and Sidi boots.  My riding jeans are from a couple different brands.

Oh, and that Ducati was freaking GLOWING.  :o

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: May 07, 2024, 09:53:52 am »
If you can swing it having multiples of each item allows smooth transitions. A couple of pairs of active boots are a godsend.