Author Topic: Time to replace the Outlander has come...  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Time to replace the Outlander has come...
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2024, 12:53:30 pm »
When you're talking about used cars, and your search is extending across a wide geographic area, I don't think there's a clean answer to that question. No used cars are identical, and every market is a little different. It comes down to what you're willing to pay against how well suited the car is to you/your needs. For example, you're probably willing to pay more for a car that's local, in the colors and specs you want, from an easy to deal with seller, than you would in a different situation.

The car is EXACTLY what I want, to the smallest detail. The car is local and from the email exchange with the seller, he seems to be OK. Of course, I will reserve the judgment until I see the car, meet the owner, learn about the maintenance and everything else I can about the car's history.

But assuming all check out, I'm having hard time figuring out what the real value of the unit in today's market.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:57:44 pm by Dante »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2024, 01:10:37 pm »
When you're talking about used cars, and your search is extending across a wide geographic area, I don't think there's a clean answer to that question. No used cars are identical, and every market is a little different. It comes down to what you're willing to pay against how well suited the car is to you/your needs. For example, you're probably willing to pay more for a car that's local, in the colors and specs you want, from an easy to deal with seller, than you would in a different situation.

The car is EXACTLY what I want, to the smallest detail. The car is local and from the email exchange with the seller, he seems to be OK. Of course, I will reserve the judgment until I see the car, meet the owner, learn about the maintenance and everything else I can about the car's history.

But assuming all check out, I'm having hard time figuring out what the real value of the unit in today's market.

Like Firm said, their may not be a "real" value, its what it's worth to you.  Especially considering the trim level isn't abundant.  Another way I'd try to look at it; Is there anything else you could possibly buy that you would want more for the price the seller is asking".  If not, then there is your answer.  It sounds like you're worried about overpaying for the car based on someone else's evaluation.  Which, I guess most people are.

For what its worth, I did a general search for X3's within a 1000km radius from Saskatoon, and $30k for what you're looking for isn't out to lunch in my market.  Of course, your market is different. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 02:56:22 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2024, 02:51:13 pm »

It's easier for young families when putting kids into carseats, too.  Bending down to strap a kid into the back of a sedan sucks.  Strapping them into a minivan or CUV at upper body height is much better.

Ummmm...OK! LOL [emoji38]

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2024, 03:06:10 pm »
Cayenne Diesel.

Or what about a wagon instead? Surely a wagon can do everything you're currently doing with the Outlander?

What about a newer/fresher Outlander? You already know everything there is to know about these....

Absolutely nobody wants diesels anymore - values have tanked and they're virtually unsellable. As such, you'd think they'd be cheap, but private sellers who have clean examples still want the world for them.

Also, given how particular Dante is, I'm dead surprised he went for an Outlander in the first place, let alone considering another one...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2024, 03:21:45 pm »

Like Firm said, their may not be a "real" value, its what it's worth to you.  Especially considering the trim level isn't abundant.  Another way I'd try to look at it; Is there anything else you could possibly buy that you would want more for the price the seller is asking".  If not, then there is your answer.  It sounds like you're worried about overpaying for the car based on someone else's evaluation.  Which, I guess most people are.

For what its worth, I did a general search for X3's within a 1000km radius from Saskatoon, and $30k for what you're looking for isn't out to lunch in my market.  Of course, your market is different.

When it comes to new or used car transactions, at least in my limited experience, the asking price is hardly the selling price. I have never paid the asking price at least.

My issue here is that I have no reference what similar cars (MY, trim, mileage) really go for in my area (GTA) at this time. Insight from someone like @TheHire would help set a reference.
Forget the emotional part where I would pay extra just to get the exact color combo I want; that comes on top and it's purely at my discretion to quantify it.

This particular unit has been on the market at this price for 1-2 weeks so it's not like it's a smoking deal at this price. Previously it was posted at $33K I believe for few weeks.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2024, 03:28:17 pm »
Cayenne Diesel.

Or what about a wagon instead? Surely a wagon can do everything you're currently doing with the Outlander?

What about a newer/fresher Outlander? You already know everything there is to know about these....

Absolutely nobody wants diesels anymore - values have tanked and they're virtually unsellable. As such, you'd think they'd be cheap, but private sellers who have clean examples still want the world for them.

Also, given how particular Dante is, I'm dead surprised he went for an Outlander in the first place, let alone considering another one...

Just the man I needed here.....and can really help me with this one.

Forget the Outlander - I bought it 17 years ago and at the time it was the best option for me. It's been a great car for what it is, hence I kept it way past its expiry date, and still is if rust wouldn't finally do its number on it.

Shed some light here brother... what would be fair price for this unit I'm looking at? Feel free to tell all the bad you know about these, aside from the obvious stuff (oil leaks, water pump, blowing charge pipe) which doesn't scare me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 03:34:39 pm by Dante »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2024, 06:39:09 pm »

It's easier for young families when putting kids into carseats, too.  Bending down to strap a kid into the back of a sedan sucks.  Strapping them into a minivan or CUV at upper body height is much better.

Absolutely 100% true.  I hated putting those baby buckets into the Passat and V70R.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2024, 09:19:57 pm »

Absolutely 100% true.  I hated putting those baby buckets into the Passat and V70R.

Never heard 90lb IQ make a peep about it..and the first car carrying the kid around was a coupe!  Nor was it problematic in our sedans.

Maybe people are just softer now?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2024, 09:27:23 pm »
I'm not saying it isn't doable...I did it for four years with the Altima, but when we got the van, it was just a whole heck of a lot easier.

Also, IQ is probably a lot shorter than me...  Sedan height for her is probably CUV right for me...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2024, 09:56:46 pm »

Never heard 90lb IQ make a peep about it..and the first car carrying the kid around was a coupe!  Nor was it problematic in our sedans.

Maybe people are just softer now?

Shorter you are the easier it is since you are down at entry height lol.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2024, 10:39:33 pm »
I don't recall having a car I despised getting the kids into. Even my Celica when I was 27, although I'm sure not 27 year old me would not like it. I had my Fiesta last year but she was in a travel system. I like sitting close to the steering wheel/pedals but that was a tighter squeeze than I would've preferred.

It's easier in the minivans and crossovers for sure. Oh swiveling car seats are gaining popularity these days but we opted for regular convertible car seats as there wasn't enough safety data on the revolving ones.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2024, 10:48:48 pm »
I'm sure it's easier...But not enough to justify selling a car and buying a CUV for.

That's waaaaay more of a PITA.....and that's not even considering how terrible it is to drive a CUV vs a nice sedan.

Again...YMMV.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2024, 07:19:28 am »
I'd say that the door opening size/shape is more important than the height.  That's the real reason minivans are way easier for loading kids.

And It's not long before they can climb in themselves, so it's really a temporary concern
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 08:30:43 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2024, 10:14:04 am »
The other concern if the parents are tall (me 6 2" and wife  5 10") is actually setting the front seats at a reasonable position with all those seats/buckets in the back. And one kid at a time is not a big deal but if you have three kids with one in a chair and twins in buckets? Well you need back seat room. Surprisingly many wagons/CUVs fall short in that regard. I always wondered if Volvos V70 designers were 5' tall and had kids as it had one of the tightest rear seats ever. I guess in Europe they only have 1 max now..

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2024, 05:23:37 pm »
I run a tight ship in my 5. ;D my driver’s seat is adjusted for me and I’ve always preferred sitting closer to the controls. Baby sits behind me in a Graco Slimfit3 LX, one of the highest rated car seats in terms of crash testing, and also one of the smallest on the market. Then this leaves room for preteens in the 3rd row. Note my car does have LATCH but it’s only to be used when the seat is all the way back which left no leg room in the 3rd row.

Honestly though the kids have such different activities that all 6 of us traveling together happens once a month on average, it was a waste having such a large minivan that I didn’t particularly enjoy driving. I do like stretching out on road trips but figure we could rent a large vehicle if it’s all 6 of us going camping.

Some dealers may let you test drive a vehicle for hours without them, I’ve had some dealers offer overnight even if you’re serious. Use it to go shopping with all the kids and see if it works.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2024, 07:59:59 pm »
If you can make it work good on ya!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2024, 11:40:34 am »
Dude.

https://www.facebook.com/share/UKXyTtMuRfNG2tCQ/?mibextid=79PoIi

I think the V60 may have had more rear seat room than the V70 (which was the V70 Achilles heel) at the expense of cargo room. I think the 2nd row of the V70 was compromised by Volvo trying to stick the optional rear facing third row in.

Nice find but at those miles that engine needs a refresh of the READ (rear end aux drive) components. It's how Volvo finally figured out how to use a transverse inline 6 and have ok turning radius.  Price should reflect that major servicing. $2000k off?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2024, 11:44:01 am »
Maybe a more recent V6 Outlander would fit the bill?

If V6, then I'd look a bit at domestics for their steeper depreciation and less high-ticket maintenance costs. Cadillac XT5 is pretty roomy and is a smooth operator. The GMC Terrain impressed me too on our family road trip last year.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2024, 12:52:55 pm »
Maybe a more recent V6 Outlander would fit the bill?

If V6, then I'd look a bit at domestics for their steeper depreciation and less high-ticket maintenance costs. Cadillac XT5 is pretty roomy and is a smooth operator. The GMC Terrain impressed me too on our family road trip last year.

A newer Outlander V6 is out of question - aside from the powertrain, they didn't do anything for me (horrible designs).

Domestics, I don't really like anything compact - I like some of their older gen big V8s (Yukon, Suburban) but those are not real life vehicles for me. Same goes for the Japanese - e.g. RDX. For a while I contemplated Touareg and Cayenne (some can be had for decent money) and even X5 which surprisingly can also be had for decent coin, but they are just too big for my needs/wants.

So it looks like my search narrowed down to the three I mentioned. I kind of put back on the board the Q5 3.0T although I don't wholehearted like it. I don't know much about them though as they've never been a serious consideration for me and didn't research them in detail. Any input on these is welcomed.

Out of the 3 top contenders I started with, the X3 is the one that pops up at the top of my list every time I think about it. It's just a matter of finding the right one for me. I even tried to talk myself out of 6-cylinder and maybe open the door to other models I like - e.g. Discovery Sport, maybe a GLC, but then again, my strong wish is to get one more 6 cylinder SUV, so that sticks.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 12:54:35 pm by Dante »