Author Topic: DYI - Paint protection  (Read 795 times)

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
DYI - Paint protection
« on: April 01, 2024, 11:58:19 am »
I've been looking at paint protection films.   it's quite expensive when you get it done.  Around $1,500.  I see you can buy some on Amazon, I'm not sure if they are better brands.   How easy is it to do? anyone had experience with this?   Seam it would be fairly easy is you take the time but I might be wrong.    I'm looking for the bottom of both sides 12" ish, A-pillairs and a 4" or 6" strip above the windshield, front of the hood.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: DYI - Paint protection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 12:07:34 pm »
I'm under the impression that for something like this, what you're paying for is the expertise and know-how to not screw up.  I'm no good at this type of thing, so I know for sure I would end up with a wrinkle in the film, or cut it wrong, or something stupid like that.  YMMV if you're better at this finicky stuff, though.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 12:11:39 pm »
I'm under the impression that for something like this, what you're paying for is the expertise and know-how to not screw up.  I'm no good at this type of thing, so I know for sure I would end up with a wrinkle in the film, or cut it wrong, or something stupid like that.  YMMV if you're better at this finicky stuff, though.

Maybe I should just order a small strip and do the top of the windshield.  This one should be straight forward.   go from there.

I just ordered a kit,  we'll see how hard it is.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 03:41:39 pm by WP v3.32 »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 09:45:25 pm »
I've never done it, but why not give it a go...You're not going to damage anything, and at worst you ruin some of the $25 material. You can buy a lot of 'practice' material for $1500, so even if you have to try a couple times to get it right, you're still ahead. Plus, you learn a new skill.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 10:26:11 pm »
I've never done it, but why not give it a go...You're not going to damage anything, and at worst you ruin some of the $25 material. You can buy a lot of 'practice' material for $1500, so even if you have to try a couple times to get it right, you're still ahead. Plus, you learn a new skill.
The film isn't hard to install.

Prepping and paint correcting before install is what you're paying for.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 07:33:36 am by Guy »

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 10:49:18 am »
You can also buy pre cut kits to match your car. Here’s an example.

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/395142798870?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8p_-9zt1r2s&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YDF6Hj9TQAq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

thanks that's good to know. 

I have to fix few small scratches and clean it before I start,  so I have to buy a touch up kit(still figuring this one out).    If  it's fairly easy I'll buy more and go to town on the bottom sides panels, box, tailgate, hood...etc.

Before all that it needs to stop snowing and fully clean my garage and the driveway with the pressure washer.  it's gross out there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 11:37:32 am »

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/395142798870?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8p_-9zt1r2s&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=YDF6Hj9TQAq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have to fix few small scratches and clean it before I start,  so I have to buy a touch up kit(still figuring this one out).    If  it's fairly easy I'll buy more and go to town on the bottom sides panels, box, tailgate, hood...etc.

Before all that it needs to stop snowing and fully clean my garage and the driveway with the pressure washer.  it's gross out there.
You have to remove any swirls and polish. And before that you have to clay bar...this is the part that's the job, man!

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 11:49:19 am »

You have to remove any swirls and polish. And before that you have to clay bar...this is the part that's the job, man!

Looks like I have a lot of hours into this  ;D

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
Re: DYI - Paint protection & Polishing
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2024, 03:17:10 pm »
Okay,  I haven't done any paint maintenance for a long time so I'm now planning on doing more, I've watched couple YT videos .  I have an old Armor All carwash soap it the garage that is probably at least 10 years old so i'll use that.  Before doing anything to my truck I will start with the better half's Highlander.  We won't call it training but a Mother's Day gift!  :P  Hercar paint could use quite a bit of TLC. 

Step #1
-Wash the car with  pressure washer and hand wash with one of those hand sponge, let dry

Step #2
-  Fix some of the scratched/scuffs with Meguiars Ultimate compound  (I used some last night and I like the results).   I wont get into wet sanding just buff what I can for now.
-  Do the entire car with  Meguiar Ultimate Polish get rid of all marring and get that mirrror look.
I bought a 3" kit that fits on a drill from amazon for do some of the repairs, just for now.  Try that a bit and probably get a 6" kit and a DA polisher (or orbital polisher, don't know yet)

Step #3 this one I don't know.  I've read old thread on here about Ceramic coating not worth the money so I'm thinking probably a Wax?  Also Rain X the windshield.

What would be ideal   - Meguiars ultimate liquid Wax or Gold Glass Liquid Wax?

For the interior I got a steam cleaner last year.  I'll have to look into carpet cleaner

The headlight needs to be polished too, they are pretty bad.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2024, 05:42:41 pm »
Sounds like a pretty good plan for a beginner. As far as the wax goes, either choice you've identified would be fine. Couple other things I'll mention:

You might want to use a claybar to remove contaminants before  polishing, otherwise you won't get the results you're hoping for and/or you'll need to work a lot harder with the polish to get there.

I'd skip that 3" drill kit. For a few reasons; small contact patch is going to take ages, small contact patch has a higher risk of burning the paint and will be harder to control, and you'll likely take some time off the life of the drill as most are not meant for that type of continuous run time. Grab a 6" DA, doesn't need to be a fancy one, and you'll enjoy the process a lot more. 

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 01:12:06 pm »
thanks, yeah I forgot to mention the clay bars.  only thing left now is the DA polisher.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 11:42:16 am »
Note to self,  not all microfibers are equal, if you don't want swirly holograms, pay up.  Learn that one the hard way.  There's so much to learn. 

-Washing, Polishing, waxing =   Meguiars'  Supreme shine microfiber towel. (around 375 GSM)

-Drying, Eagle Edgeless  350 is good, preferably 500

-Interior,  all other cheap MC towel but not too cheap..

Throw them in the washer before first use is a good idea.