Author Topic: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com  (Read 6111 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Brand new 12 year old Goodyears sold by PMCtire.com
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2024, 06:36:06 pm »
I wasn't impressed with the Hankook iPike winter tires that came with the Shitbox Civic I had a couple of winters ago.  Barely better than all-seasons, I thought.  But I've been running Blizzaks on everything else for a decade now, so perhaps I'm a little spoiled.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2024, 07:34:20 pm »
Now 30% off on Motomaster winter edge 2. Guaranteed fresh as they just started selling them last year.

Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My Civic could use some new winter tires but don't want to break the bank on a 17 year old sh**box.

No, but there are reviews on the CT website. I do like the original Winter Edge. To kind of predict what the new WE2 will be like, I'd look at how other Hankook winter tires score with consumer reports and other serious publications, because even though the tread pattern may differ, the rubber compound formula is what counts IMO.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2024, 07:54:02 am »
Now 30% off on Motomaster winter edge 2. Guaranteed fresh as they just started selling them last year.

Anyone have any personal experience with these tires? My Civic could use some new winter tires but don't want to break the bank on a 17 year old sh**box.

I'd look for a set of 1-2 year old used tires, to be honest.  Gotta be plenty of Civic-sized tires around.

Here is a set mounted on rims.  Not sure what brand they are, but it's a question that could be asked.  I bet if you offered $450, the guy would take it.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/winnipeg/225-40-18-honda-winter-tires-rims-as-new/1682185888

Yeah, I've got saved searches for 205/55r16 on kijiji and marketplace but mostly come across junk or tires with rims like your link. I already have a set of dedicated winter rims and would prefer not to deal with the hassle of selling another set.

I wasn't impressed with the Hankook iPike winter tires that came with the Shitbox Civic I had a couple of winters ago.  Barely better than all-seasons, I thought.  But I've been running Blizzaks on everything else for a decade now, so perhaps I'm a little spoiled.

Thanks for the input, this is about where my old xice tires are at this year, not too surprising as they are quite old. (2014)

ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2024, 08:51:57 am »
I'm not sure it's fair to compare an older, and likely worn, set of Hankooks to a new modem set.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2024, 09:38:25 am »
When we bought my daughter's ex-Accent, we put the cheapest Pirelli snows on it, bought at Costco (less than $100 each, in 14" !) They did pretty good in all sorts of conditions. Just drove a presser in a nasty PM peak hour one footer and was impressed with the tires - Pirelli winter Scorpions - more than $100 each  ;D
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2024, 06:54:27 pm »
I may have found some more of these hockey puck tires, this time being sold by CanadaWheels.ca   
https://www.canadawheels.ca/goodyear-tires/eagle-ultra-grip-gw2-t930220
Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW2
SKU: T930220
Size: 225/60R16
Load index: 97
Speed Rating: V
Availability: In Stock
Per Unit:$116.88Set of
$467.52

I emailed them and said I'd buy them if they aren't ancient, they replied that they have no way of checking and I'd be responsible for shipping them back if I refused them.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2024, 10:58:55 am »
I got this reply today from CanadaWheels.ca
"As previously mentioned all the tires shipped are within 3 years old so you are guaranteed to not getting 12 year old tires."

What are the chances I receive the same 12 year old tires?
Should I order them?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2024, 01:36:37 pm »
Depends which statement they go by  :D

Would think the chance of getting 12 year again is pretty low, you aren't buying Scotch

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2024, 08:42:15 pm »
So I returned the tires, got a refund.

Went to local Goodyear dealer who normally deals with commercial trucks, but I've bought there before and all the local dealers are owned by the same company anyhow, so deal from the same warehousing.
My first 2 choices went into their warehouse in 2017, finally settled on a set of Kelly Winter Access made in 2019.  After fees and taxes it's under $500, so decent deal. Rubber still feels normal and soft. I still have to wait to get my 2024 Goodyear rebates which are always late to hopefully get another $200 rebate coupon I can apply.

Anyhow, they look alright, put them on my old VDC rims.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2024, 10:10:12 pm »
Nice!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2024, 08:24:31 am »

Went to local Goodyear dealer who normally deals with commercial trucks, but I've bought there before and all the local dealers are owned by the same company anyhow, so deal from the same warehousing.
My first 2 choices went into their warehouse in 2017, finally settled on a set of Kelly Winter Access made in 2019.  After fees and taxes it's under $500, so decent deal. Rubber still feels normal and soft. I still have to wait to get my 2024 Goodyear rebates which are always late to hopefully get another $200 rebate coupon I can apply.

I honestly do not know how you are managing to find so many options for old tires. How can new tires that age still be on the shelves? Why weren't they sold long ago? How do these sellers manage their inventory? I would not buy tires made in 2019 either.

It like buying stale bread. Sure I can get a loaf for a $ buck $ but it is stale.  :(
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2024, 08:32:30 am »
If he were to buy the latest and greatest winter tires his cars value would double.  As long as they are okay for the short time left that the car might be on the road, I don’t see anything wrong with it. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2024, 08:57:01 am »
 @blur911 used to work at a rubber plant. I trust his judgement. If he says they’re compliant and soft and free of cracks, then they probably are. Remember, he sent the others back because they were like hockey pucks.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2024, 12:02:18 pm »

I honestly do not know how you are managing to find so many options for old tires. How can new tires that age still be on the shelves? Why weren't they sold long ago? How do these sellers manage their inventory? I would not buy tires made in 2019 either.

It like buying stale bread. Sure I can get a loaf for a $ buck $ but it is stale.  :(

I'm starting to think that Canada is a dumping ground for old stock tires because we have no laws about the age of tires being sold.   Most people probably don't check the dates and don't know.   
AFAIK, in a lot of Eastern Ontario one company/family, Benson's, owns most of the Goodyear tire retailers, a lot of the auto parts stores, plus warehouses most of the product.   So no matter where you go, they check Benson's inventory.   
At least I only paid about $110 plus tax per tire.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2024, 12:04:28 pm »
If he were to buy the latest and greatest winter tires his cars value would double.  As long as they are okay for the short time left that the car might be on the road, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

Yeah, we don't drive a whole lot now and they'll still probably outlast the car.    Cayenne is still in the driveway if snow is really deep.

(of course now that we have new winter tires there will be no more snow this winter)

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2024, 12:44:55 pm »

I'm starting to think that Canada is a dumping ground for old stock tires because we have no laws about the age of tires being sold.   Most people probably don't check the dates and don't know.   
AFAIK, in a lot of Eastern Ontario one company/family, Benson's, owns most of the Goodyear tire retailers, a lot of the auto parts stores, plus warehouses most of the product.   So no matter where you go, they check Benson's inventory.   
At least I only paid about $110 plus tax per tire.
When virtually every sector of the economy is a series of oligopolies, consumer protection legislation will have a difficult time getting traction e.g. lack of a lemon law