Author Topic: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup  (Read 11193 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2023, 08:18:04 am »
Van is out of the garage, gave the Chamberlain a whack and it came back to life  ;D.

I was able to read the exact part number and my board is 108$ from Chamberlain, but you have to be a "partner" to order from them. Found another source at 125$ CDN with free shipping, beats the 185$ from amazon.

Will do a quick check of connections after work before buying anything.

Undid all the connections, re-did them ... and it works fine now  :banghead:

Whapping the side of it and then resetting the connections are usually the first steps in professional troubleshooting.  ;D

It's on the fritz again. Three or four whaps with a floor mop brings it back to life, and when it works most of the times it goes into safety mode and requires one to hold the button for the door to close completely. So my options were:

1) buy a macro lens for my iPhone, inspect the welds, find the crack and repair - about $40 and an afternoon of my time

2) order a new circuit board - 125$ at a Canadian online retailer

3) buy a complete new kit - $279 - $900

Given the age of the overall components, we chose option 3. After looking at various promotions, I found out that different CTC stores had different prices on identical products, given that one or the other may "clear" certain products. So I found this kit on clearance for $389 at my local CTC, 1 box left, new and intact so not a return:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chamberlain-secure-view-ultra-bright-smart-garage-opener/1001588567

msrp is in the $600's. That generation is not current anymore on Chamberlain's own website, but as the ex-top shelf model, it comes with lifetime warranty on motor and belt, plus some extras like a battery backup, garage camera and others. The camera I won't probably use as it requires a monthly app fee - we'll see - but all the myQ content is there, with phone alerts and door activation. Spring project, I'll wait for better weather to arrive. Keeping the floor mop close meanwhile.

So the old one lasted 15 years before developping issues, and the new one 18 months. It started working really slowly, as if on the battery. Running the usual diagnostics - checking the door itself, lubing, unplugging etc. - did nothing. So I entered a chat session with Chamberlain support from the garage. They had me run a few tests, had me unplug the backup battery for a bit etc. - still slow.

Their diagnostic is a defective transformer, the free replacement unit arrived from Arizona in 5 days only. It's a plug-in type, with connectors, from what I can see and Chamberlain has installation videos whose links were sent to me. So a little project later today!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2023, 08:47:28 am »
Turns out they had no videos for replacing the transfo, and neither did anyone else. So I winged it. Not too complex, just that you're up on ladders working inside a box with room for an 8 y.o.'s hands. removed both side covers, unclipped the lights, removed the circuit board, unclipped the old transfo - had to cut some tiny ty-wraps, unscrewed the transfo (suspended in the box, to make things simple) and restart in opposite order with the new transformer.

Took about an hour and it now works as good as new!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2023, 09:03:48 am »
Nice work! Doesn't look too complex inside actually, but yeah, working up on the ladder always sucks, lol. Glad you got it sorted and that Chamberlain supported it with a free replacement part.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2023, 09:14:41 am »
Nice work! Doesn't look too complex inside actually, but yeah, working up on the ladder always sucks, lol. Glad you got it sorted and that Chamberlain supported it with a free replacement part.

Thanks! Motor and belt have lifetime warranties, the rest is 5 years IIRC. I like that their products have a lot of interchangeable parts and that they don't change designs for the sake of changing. The bracing, track, door attachments and belt are actually the prior ones, and I don't even think I installed the new sensors that came with the kit - so I have a bunch of spares  ;D.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2023, 10:40:44 am »

Thanks! Motor and belt have lifetime warranties, the rest is 5 years IIRC. I like that their products have a lot of interchangeable parts and that they don't change designs for the sake of changing. The bracing, track, door attachments and belt are actually the prior ones, and I don't even think I installed the new sensors that came with the kit - so I have a bunch of spares  ;D.

I replaced 2 X  ~30 year old Mastercraft or something openers with two new Chamberlains this year. Lot's of bracketry and parts were the same. It's a proven design with really the only stuff changing is guts and computers.

Hope they last!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2023, 10:34:34 pm »
Bought a Sky Link smart garage door controller today from Ctire. On sale currently for $50. Easy install and works well. The Chamberlain controller is not compatible with my Linear opener so this was an option. I’m guessing the install is little more involved than the Chamberlain(wire from unit to opener and sensor on door with 3m tape or screws) but simple enough.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.