Author Topic: C7 Corvette  (Read 193256 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
C7 Corvette
« on: July 11, 2012, 12:58:41 am »
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-general-discussion/3090037-front-c7-bumper-leaked.html

Only 20 pages of discussion already on the 'vette forum!  :rofl2:

Looks good IMHO, can't wait to see the final product.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
Re: C7 Corvette
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:23:16 am »

The front and rear facsia in the video look identical to the Jalopnik rendering.  That being the case, I don't like the design at all.  I prefer the C6.  If this is indeed the C7, this is not the "world class" styling that was promised.  Instead it looks closer to a C6 with a tacky body kit. 

I'll stick with the C6 Z06 if this is indeed the new C7. 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 07:31:22 am »
I Like the design but as Ron said the styling is rather conservative and very North American....... But that is their market and you don't want to upset the loyal following.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:25:48 pm »

The front and rear facsia in the video look identical to the Jalopnik rendering.  That being the case, I don't like the design at all.  I prefer the C6.  If this is indeed the C7, this is not the "world class" styling that was promised.  Instead it looks closer to a C6 with a tacky body kit. 

I'll stick with the C6 Z06 if this is indeed the new C7. 

Is that C6 design a hatchback?!!! Wow, you would be able to carry some 2 x 4's now!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:04:26 pm »
I think it's all speculation. GM wouldn't allow the new design to trickle out like this...especially from a manufacturing vendor. They will have confidentiality and IP agreements in place. As for the rendering depicted, it's way too crude and most likely some freelance car illustrator's best guess. Interestingly, most speculative renderings of the next vette seem to be quite angular which causes me to wonder if the Cadillac design team has gotten their hands on the the Corvette. The Caddy guys seem to have an aversion to curves. Since the corvette design has always been curvaceous I am curious to see what actually happens.

Note the new Viper is completely curvaceous (like it or no), while the Camaro is a little of both and Cadillac are largely angles, straight lines and planes (flat surfaces).

My opinion...an angular Corvette design would be a disaster.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »
In that picture, I definetly see some GT-R squareness in the rear 1/4 panel.  While not bad looking to me, Im not a Corvette guy, Im sure the vette traditionalists will cry bloody murder at the styling changes.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:23:09 pm »
My dream of owning a c6 grandsport remains intact :))

sent via Tapatalk through the Interweb tubes

One for sale locally!  $50K

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »

The Corvette traditionalists on the forums are on suicide watch - but to paint them with a broad brush many of them are knuckle-draggers.

And very old!  It's the only forum I've seen with an obituary!!   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

SamuelOLee

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 02:28:22 pm »
I think it's all speculation. GM wouldn't allow the new design to trickle out like this...especially from a manufacturing vendor. They will have confidentiality and IP agreements in place. As for the rendering depicted, it's way too crude and most likely some freelance car illustrator's best guess. Interestingly, most speculative renderings of the next vette seem to be quite angular which causes me to wonder if the Cadillac design team has gotten their hands on the the Corvette. The Caddy guys seem to have an aversion to curves. Since the corvette design has always been curvaceous I am curious to see what actually happens.

Note the new Viper is completely curvaceous (like it or no), while the Camaro is a little of both and Cadillac are largely angles, straight lines and planes (flat surfaces).

My opinion...an angular Corvette design would be a disaster.
[/quote
]

Couldn't agree with you more Northernridge.  I was hoping for something more curvy and voluptuous like the Alfa Romeo 8C or even the Pontiac Solstice.

I'm still curious to see whether the C7 will implement the Bill Mitchell Era split window design element from the '63 Vette.  I'd be happy if GM borrowed some lines from the '68-'69 Vette as well. 

Last thing I want to see is a Cadillac XLR with more slavishly linear CAD CAM vector lines. It's the year 2012 NOT 2002, GM, and the original Stealth bomber has long since been retired...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:32:02 pm by M'Lordy GooGoo »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:58 am »
I really really like C6 Gran Sport Coup.  ..  and that rendering is ugly.   it looks like C6 was repeatedly beat literally with ugly stick to make it so angular, and not a sexy angular like F430 either.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

SamuelOLee

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:35:57 pm »
That rendering looks an awful lot like an old Toyota Celica. I've seen the most recent spy shots of a camouflaged C7 test mule and the body looks too much like a C6.  Hopefully they were using a C6 body for disguise as they sometimes do, but now that reports are saying that the '63 split tail design is not going to happen, I'm pretty disappointed. Hopefully GM will surprise me.  At least the new Vette will have an all-new interior--very very badly needed and long overdue.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »
That's right, like the Porsche 911, the 2014 C7 Chevy Corvette will be available with a seven-speed manual transmission. Surprisingly enough, our contact for this source, someone close to the C7 Corvette project, declined to be named specifically as the source for this rumor, but as sources go, we trusted this one.

More bean-spilling ensued with some discussion into the new engine which is likely to still be a pushrod V8, but with direct-injection and variable lift. Anyone who thinks that the Vette's engine (especially the LS7) is a dog or outdated because it's still a pushrod is wildly misinformed and this new one should push the boundaries of that technology even further.

Also up in the air is whether or not the 7MT is going to have another overdrive gearor if the Vette will use 7 in place of the C6's already-super-tall-27mpg-highway-isn't-a-problem 6th and tighten up the other 6. *Edit: Another benefit of tightening up the current ratios and adding a tall 7th means that they won't need to run different transmissions for different Vettes. The ZR1 currently runs a close-ratio Tremec TR6060 while the others deal without close ratios.*

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:26 am »
Can't wait too see it in the flesh.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 10:39:42 am »
The forums are ablaze and this is a very polarizing Vette. You have all the old traditional Vette owners on suicide watch and most reasonable young guys liking the design.

IMO they HAD to get away from catering to the old guard in order to bring the Vette to the mainstream and get away from the mid-life crisis image. A lot of these Vette dudes are knuckle draggers and have complained from everything about how are they going to fit into racing (read: proper) seats to calling the new Vette a Camaro.

New look, finally a good interior and seats, and the best performance ever.

Can't wait for Detroit.

I agree...and Detroit will be fun  :)

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 10:50:17 am »
Maybe I'm one of the old guys...All of the 'leaked' photos are regressive and make the corvette look like a Camaro-derived child's toy. The good news is that I believe none of the posted images really represent the new design for two reasons, 1) GM couldn't possibly design the Corvette to look this bad, 2) GM would be better at managing the 'leaks' and make sure preliminary images making their way into the public domain are far better than the amateur renderings posted here and elsewhere.

Every car magazine hires illustrators to create renderings of best guesses...current Corvette images are not even up to these standards.

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 11:13:16 am »
I hate to break it to you, dude. That is the C7 hi-po model.

The jalopnik rendering IS more or less the C7. You can see it's true by looking at the test mules rolling around New Mexico right now.

This is not an illustration but a leaked CAD drawing from a very inside source, who, has been vetted at being accurate.

You are the guy with the evidence but I'm skeptical...it's too ugly to be real.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: C7 Corvette
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 01:16:45 pm »
Internal CAD of the rear of the C7 leaked last night on the Corvette Forums. I'm a huge fan of the looks. What you see is the rendering of what will be the "high performance" model.

Why you messing around with that picture after I showed you the actual rear end with the actual mold pictures? Looks the same huh? :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: C7 Corvette
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »

IMO they HAD to get away from catering to the old guard in order to bring the Vette to the mainstream and get away from the mid-life crisis image.

Can't wait for Detroit.

Yea but they still are catering to the old with this new design! They could have really done something with this C7 but instead they tried to please BOTH camps. Instead the car looks like a C6 with overdone, aftermarket bodywork.

I would have preferred a much more modern look. Maybe better to have been styled by Cadillac. They seen to have the modern styling down.

And it will always be a mid life crisis car driven by mostly older people  because of the pricing
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:25:19 pm by rrocket »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 01:33:19 pm »
Those seats will turn into in a true sports car though... not that it wasn't but the seats were horrible.  In a car that performs like the vette you need to be held down at all times!