Author Topic: UPDATE XICE it is.... Help me pick 17 Inch Winter tires for the Focus  (Read 19775 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: UPDATE XICE it is.... Help me pick 17 Inch Winter tires for the Focus
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Lesson learned. Give the dealer a chance on tires . You have nothing to lose.

Some dealers of some makes of car have a love affair with Pirelli Sottozero winter tires on OE alloy rims at MSRP  prices that would give you the night sweats.   By a strange coincidence these tend to be FGC dealers.  ( remember that Lamborghini, Rolls and Bentley are FGCs now as well)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: UPDATE XICE it is.... Help me pick 17 Inch Winter tires for the Focus
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:06 pm »
Lesson learned. Give the dealer a chance on tires . You have nothing to lose.
I find that you really have to fight with the dealership to get them to match KalTire/Costco/Green&Ross/OK Tire.  My brother was able to get Mazda to match the price, though he'd have to pay $80 seasonally for switchover/balancing, but it apparently took hours of haggling.

My only real issue with buying from KalTire/Costco/Green&Ross/OK Tire is that they tend to try to upsell what's in stock or what they get a commission from.  If I go in and say "I want the WS-80s" and they stock/can order them, then I don't get any sort of up-sell.  However, if I say "I can't decide between the WS-80s and Xi3s," I'll frequently get, "what about Nitto NT90Ws?  They're an incredible tire.  It's Toyo Tire's performance division."

I mean, I bit at it and got Nitto NT421Qs for the RX400h and think they're the best tire that's ever been made, but that doesn't mean I'll like every tire they produce.  The tread pattern, to me, is determinative of a tire's performance in certain situations.  The compound is important, too, but if the marketing ad reads: "tread designed for maximum grip.  3D sipes for maximum grip. etc." then I wonder why they can't be more specific as to why their tire is better than others.

Back to the point at hand, enjoy the tires!  I think the best reason to go to a dealer for winter tires is because they don't seem to 'sell out' like KalTire/Costco/Green&Ross/OK Tire.