Author Topic: What did you do to your car today?  (Read 2923516 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
What did you do to your car today?
« on: April 23, 2013, 01:05:08 am »
Not sure if we have a thread like this or not?

Will be good for little blurbs (or big ones!) about stuff you did to your car today.  I'll go first!

IS300:  Took it in for an e-test.  This is the new OBDII test..no dyno/tail pipe sniffer.  My OBD-WIZ software does the same test as the stealerhip. The car passed at home..and passed at the stealer.  Shame is cost $39 though.  Current mileage is 251,800...and still clean.

GS400:  Oil change with Amsoil 5W30 and Amsoil Ea oil filter.  Put in new LED wedge bulbs in the inner lenses that better match the color of the HIDs.  Much better!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: What did you do to your car today?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 01:23:45 am »
Today: Detailed the interior of the Corolla

In the last few days:

Oil and Filter in the Miata, Amsoil Signature Synthetic and filter
Oil and filter in the Corolla, as above.
Installed new rear wiper motor in the Highlander.  Simple job took 15min.  Paid $80 for the part, labour $0.00.  Dealer wanted $275 for the part,$225 labour.  What a joke.
Installed new Intermediate Steering Shaft in the Highlander.  Dealer wanted $450 installed.  Followed very easy TSB instructions, did it for $160.

Took the Highlander in and had new summer tires installed.  General Grabber AT2

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=Grabber+AT+2

Very streetable AT tire.

Had an alignment done at the same time.

This week:

Oil and Filter in the Highlander, yes Amsoil oil and filter.
Trans fluid drain/fill in the Highlander
Spark plugs and wires in the Miata
Swap summers onto the Corolla

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 01:34:36 am »
Swapped winters/summers on both vehicles this past weekend.  I also gave the Tundra an oil change.  Bit of a pain in the ass with the skid plate and canister filter, but it gets easier every time.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:13 am »
Great thread!  I cleaned out salt stains on carpet and swapped to summer tires.

Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 05:43:37 am »
Took a look at the Fit tires.   A bit close to the wear bars for my liking, after 6+ years but only about 36-37000 kms. Probably would have got through another summer but...
Went to tire store and ordered a new set. Michelin Defenders.  Originals were Dunlop SP31.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:50 am »
I may have sped a little bit. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:39:21 am »
Inspected for bug splatters and brake dust levels after my run into Down Town Toronto last evening.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:51:15 am »
Tapped a clean bolt hole for the passenger seat...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42:10 am »
I cut a big chunk out of the rear of the Mercedes a while back as the bumper support was rusted out. Welded in some new metal and slowly getting that sorted. I need to do an oil and air filter change on the Mazda today.

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:47 am »
Swapped winter/summer tires and reset the tire pressure monitor thingy on the Berlin taxi. Not that the summer Conti's are very good but what a difference getting the snows off...

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 11:04:54 am »
Installed my Summer tires.  Then left it at home so I could take the motorcycle...  ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 11:05:45 am »
got the winters off and the summer Conti Dw shoes on my Saab. Also got a strut brace and subframe brace installed so I can take the baby to the track and not have it fall apart in the corners [any more than it has to being FWD]. What a difference! I will get flung out of my seat before this car lets go...

Will be replacing the struts with Koni Yellows on lowered Lesjofor springs to improve my damping and cornering speeds. Needed to do this as my struts are pretty blown being as the car has 130k on it.

Also need to replace the strut mount bearings as well as the subframe bushings I think...there is a little knock going over bumps that wont go away...

oh and in a few days I will be doing my first thorough detail...need to get a lot of the swirls and scratches taken care of. When the Svelt Swede is all clean you can really see the years of weather and bruch strokes in her paint.  :'(

Love this thread!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 12:47:19 pm »
Swapped summers onto the Subaru, had to remount and rebalance 2 tires that were leaking around the rim (handy to have your own balancer and tire-machine).
Vacuumed it out and switched in the summer floormats.   
Also noticed I need to do front brakes again.  Outback brakes leave something to be desired, stupid sliders.

Also collected all old tires to take to a depot, truck is half full.
Mr Pickypants

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:53:10 pm »
2011 Toyota Matrix

been trying to solve a rattle...
put new plastic "pins" for the plastic undercover shield thing that's under the car.
seemed like it was solved but i'm sit getting a little bit of rattle, i'll have to get under the car again tonight and try and find the source.

i hate rattles!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 05:31:03 pm »
1998 Bug last week.

Swapped out the winter tires.
Installed a new antenna.
Cleaned the left rear ABS tone ring.
Noticed more wear on the right rear brake pads.  Going to have to clean and relube the caliper slider pins.  :(

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 05:32:07 pm »
Prepping the pedals in the 911 for installation of Rennline aluminum covers

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 05:41:18 pm »
Swapped the summer tires onto the Corolla.  The Forester will keep its snow tires for now, as, well, it's been one of those springs!

Took some old tires to the recycling depot and returned the 19yr old Panasonic battery from the Miata to East-Penn.  The core charge was only $7.50, but it's a good way to get rid of the old battery.

On the way home, I had the driver's window down, and could hear a "bang-bang-bang-bang" noise!  Whaaaa?  Speed dependent, still there with trans in neutral, not rpm dependent.  Definitely coming from the driver's side.

Got home, pulled cars out, rolled the HL into the garage, floor jacks called into action.  Cleaned out each tire, spun each wheel, didn't see or hear anything.  Dropped the car, went for another drive.

Noise gone.  Whew! Must have been a big rock in the tire.  Those knobby tires some to grab stuff, I'll have to get used to that.

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 06:49:45 pm »
Took a look at the Fit tires.   A bit close to the wear bars for my liking, after 6+ years but only about 36-37000 kms. Probably would have got through another summer but...
Went to tire store and ordered a new set. Michelin Defenders.  Originals were Dunlop SP31.
I was sure glad to get rid of my SP31 OEMs when the time came.  Only 35, 000 km and horrible tires.

As for today, I took my Sonata in to have the mounted tires swapped out, and just like this site, everyone else had the same idea, and I had no patience to wait.
Can't do it myself as I'm currently incapacitated, but fortunately can still drive.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 07:17:36 pm »
Just finished swapping out the Honda winter tires.   So much quicker with the new floor jack and impact wrench. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 08:11:26 pm »
Didn't do it myself this time....But I did pick up the SLK from the shop with new front wheel bearings and rotors....Annoying highway front end vibration still persists :(....Next step is a Road Force Balancing.

On the weekend I washed both SLK and the Firebird, and I repaired some peeling undercoat on the Firebird.