Author Topic: Why do some drivers only speed up when someone tries to pass?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
A dog lay in a manger, and by his growling and snapping prevented the oxen from eating the hay which had been placed for them. “What a selfish Dog!” said one of them to his companions; “he cannot eat the hay himself, and yet refuses to allow those to eat who can.”

Does this anecdote from Aesop’s Fables sound familiar? If you have ever driven on a highway, it must. This fable tells the story of a “Dog in the Manger” who spitefully prevents others from using something for which it has no use. Aesop’s dog prevented the oxen from eating the hay. Other versions have him keeping a horse from its dinner. Whatever animal you choose, there is a striking similarity to the drives you find snarling on the road.

The modern-day “Dog in the Manger” is the driver who putters along slowly on the highway. When you attempt to pass him, however, he shows his fangs and speeds up in a dangerous bid to try to stop you from overtaking. He doesn’t want to go faster than a crawl and he doesn’t want anyone else to either. Pollara Strategic Insights recent February “Rage Index” found that 82 per cent of respondents were “very angry” or “annoyed” by “people who speed up when you try to pass them.” This move is especially common on long trips on two-lane highways. Let’s call men who do it “dog racers.”

I say “men” because it’s almost exclusively males who pull this asinine move. Sure, some females are guilty, but not that many.

What is it about “being passed” by another automobile that triggers a panic response from insecure male egos? Not to burrow too far down the psychoanalytical rabbit hole, but it seems to be painfully emasculating to some (mostly male) drivers. Perhaps they’ve watched too many car races on film and television. Think: the “Chicken Run” from Rebel Without a Cause or the “Thunder Road Race” from Grease.

I suppose the thinking is that a real alpha male would never let anyone pass him on the highway, even if he has been driving 85 kilometres an hour in a zone marked for 100. Such a grievous blow to their manhood would be the first step into Betaville.

I’ve narrowed it down to three theories, aside from ego, that explain why a driver might be a “dog racer.”

The first theory, which I call Tuned Out theory” (TOT) maintains that as a result of travelling slow speeds for long distances, drivers become zombie-like. The act of being passed jolts them to their senses. Once awakened, they snap to attention and try to keep up with the competition. It’s a nice theory in that it does not ascribe any ill-intentions. I believe TOT has some limited merit.

Some cite this behaviour as an example of Social Comparison Theory (SCT), which was popularized in 1954 by American psychologist Leon Festinger. He maintained that there was a primitive drive within human beings to compare themselves with others to evaluate their self-worth, skills and opinions. Festinger also developed the theory of cognitive dissonance. According to a PositivePsychology.com article by Alicia Nortje, individuals compare themselves upward and downward using SCT thinking. For example:

Upward: “My neighbour inspires me. If he can run a half-marathon, then so can I.”

Downward: “I feel happy knowing that I beat my neighbour in the half-marathon.”

With dog racers we can theorize that the upward and downward SCT beliefs are as follows:

Upward: “That other driver is driving fast and will pass me. If he can drive fast, then so can I and I will do it right now, at the exact same time as him, on the exact same road, travelling in the exact same direction, even at the risk of causing a terrible accident.”

Downward: “The other driver is passing me. I am worthless, there is no point in living. I may as well speed as fast as I can now, even though I was content for what seemed like hours to crawl along like a slug. I will perish in one last glorious act of self-immolation. If we all die, so be it.”

The last and most compelling theory is the Bad Driver Theory (BDT). Created earlier this week by me, it holds that anyone who speeds up to prevent you from passing is a very bad driver and probably an awful human being.

Whatever theory you buy – TOT, SCT or BDT – drivers who speed up when you try to pass them are a menace. Don’t be one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/drive/mobility/article-why-do-some-drivers-only-speed-up-when-someone-tries-to-pass-i-have/

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
Re: Why do some drivers only speed up when someone tries to pass?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 11:18:09 pm »
 ;D I have tested this on a few occasions, typically on three lane highways. You come up slowly on somebody in the middle lane doing say 100-105. You creep up on him (and it's always a him), then pull over into the fast lane and start creeping by him. Say you are going 110...he will start doing 110 and keep up with you, preventing you for overtaking and pulling back into the middle lane. So you increase your speed to 115 and he matches it, then 120 and he matches it, then 125 and he still matches it  ;D And if at this stage you don't ruthlessly accelerate and shock him into submission, this will go on forever.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:28:23 pm by warp »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 11:39:28 pm »
It’s very frustrating in BC for this. From Golden to Sicamous there are some passing lanes. For the most part it’s a two lane affair. You’ll be following someone doing 80-90Km in the two lane, as SOON as the passing lane hits they speed up! Like wtf!!!!???? The offenders are 99% out of province plated. And I have no words whatsoever for Saskatchewan drivers in BC. They’ll fly past you in any opportunity they can get during a straight, then when the corners hit they turn into Grandma driving the Grand Marquis to Sunday mass.  >:( >:(

Also have axe to grind with people who aren’t comfortable or able to at least do the speed limit on mountain roads. Don’t make everyone behind you suffer.  Lots of little pull outs along the way- let everyone pass for heavens sake! Sometimes the passing lanes are very far apart, and by the time you hit one the bottleneck of vehicles is so massive not everyone can get by.  >:( >:(

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 12:49:11 am »
Remember driving a U-haul truck on one of those two lane roads with the occasional passing lane, and that behavior would drive me absolutely nuts, as you don't have the power to blow past the asswipes that go from 80 to 120 as soon as the passing lanes appear

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 07:03:10 am »
On two lane highways I typically do the opposite, if I see someone trying to pass me I’ll slow down a touch so they can do so quicker.

On 4 lane or more I always just keep the cruise control on so if my car “speeds up” it’s because it was a little down from the speed I set.  If I attempt to pass someone while on cruise and they speed up I don’t mind if it takes longer or if I end up sitting next to them for a bit before they speed up enough that I tuck in behind them.  Now if there is traffic I won’t do that, I’m not one to keep someone behind me who is driving faster blocked in the passing lane, but if it’s me and “dog racer” I don’t mind being a little annoying to them.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 10:50:12 am »
On two lane highways I typically do the opposite, if I see someone trying to pass me I’ll slow down a touch so they can do so quicker.

On 4 lane or more I always just keep the cruise control on so if my car “speeds up” it’s because it was a little down from the speed I set.  If I attempt to pass someone while on cruise and they speed up I don’t mind if it takes longer or if I end up sitting next to them for a bit before they speed up enough that I tuck in behind them.  Now if there is traffic I won’t do that, I’m not one to keep someone behind me who is driving faster blocked in the passing lane, but if it’s me and “dog racer” I don’t mind being a little annoying to them.

Wait until you get a sports car.  Slower drivers seem to want to stifle your progress even more.   ::)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 11:18:30 am »
In Alberta I recall another annoying habit. Flat and straight four lane, cruise set at 120, someone overtakes in the left, just to settle in front of me and proceed to slow down. Pass them, resume cruise control, and it happens again.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 11:32:24 am »
Also annoying is one semi passing another at 0.05 KPH faster than the guy being passed. Sometimes it seems to take miles for the passing truck to clear left the lane.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 11:33:48 am »
Also annoying is one semi passing another at 0.05 KPH faster than the guy being passed. Sometimes it seems to take miles for the passing truck to clear left the lane.
Up a hill usually... :rofl:

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2024, 12:13:23 pm »
People ALWAYS feel the need to pass the Prius. Particularly those in trucks.

Doesn't matter if I'm speeding....it's like a principal thing for them to not be behind a Prius.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2024, 01:12:56 pm »

Those company trucks are almost always governed at 105 K. Some many live dangerously and govern at 106 lol. Those guys know they have that extra jam to overtake.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-39
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 01:45:47 pm »
On the rolling hills of the Toronto-Kingston stretch of the 401, you'll have one tractor trailer with a lighter load overtaking a heavier tractor trailer on an uphill section, painfully crawling past one foot at a time over that 2-3 km uphill stretch, only to reach the top of the hill where the heavier tractor trailer starts going faster because of weight and momentum and at the bottom of that stretch, they are again neck and neck :rofl2: And you along with a dozen other light vehicles are stuck behind watching this see-saw battle play out!!

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2024, 02:07:54 pm »
On the rolling hills of the Toronto-Kingston stretch of the 401, you'll have one tractor trailer with a lighter load overtaking a heavier tractor trailer on an uphill section, painfully crawling past one foot at a time over that 2-3 km uphill stretch, only to reach the top of the hill where the heavier tractor trailer starts going faster because of weight and momentum and at the bottom of that stretch, they are again neck and neck :rofl2: And you along with a dozen other light vehicles are stuck behind watching this see-saw battle play out!!
Yeah, that's why I've been avoiding the damn 401 on my trips to the GTA. Only take hwy 7 now.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2024, 04:32:43 pm »

:D  Remember doing that myself on the autobahn with a 50hp car. I could blow past at 160 the big trucks when going downhill or on the flat, but on a long hill going up their massive hp would catch me again. Like being caught by a turtle

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2024, 05:26:12 pm »

Been there, done that.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2024, 05:39:49 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 09:13:41 am »
And I have no words whatsoever for Saskatchewan drivers in BC.

Not sure if it's still a thing, but in SK, if you're on a 2 lane with a decently paved shoulder, if you come across a slower car they'd pull to the right and leave enough room so that any oncoming traffic could also pull to the right and you could get past without having to use all of or any of the "passing" lane.  Kinda like lane splitting but for cars and the slower drivers would get out the way.  So maybe when they're in BC they're thinking YTF aint this guy moving over so I can squeeze by! Fine, I'll make room...people will move.  Only no one else on the planet or another province does this...it's like how they can't say hoodie (bunny hug?  :-\ WTF?) or gitch (gonch? Again..WTF?  :think:)...or who knows what else.  They have their own language and drive their own style...or used to anyway.

I think a lot of times too those who speed up aren't using their CC or maybe don't have it? I can't imagine living in a place where there's actual traffic like what you guys live with.  I'd be flipping the bird, a lot.  I don't even like Wpg and it's nothing like TO or lower BC.  (A lot of) Wpg drivers all drive 10 kmh or more under, rain or shine.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2024, 11:48:43 am »
And I have no words whatsoever for Saskatchewan drivers in BC.

Not sure if it's still a thing, but in SK, if you're on a 2 lane with a decently paved shoulder, if you come across a slower car they'd pull to the right and leave enough room so that any oncoming traffic could also pull to the right and you could get past without having to use all of or any of the "passing" lane.  Kinda like lane splitting but for cars and the slower drivers would get out the way.  So maybe when they're in BC they're thinking YTF aint this guy moving over so I can squeeze by! Fine, I'll make room...people will move.  Only no one else on the planet or another province does this...it's like how they can't say hoodie (bunny hug?  :-\ WTF?) or gitch (gonch? Again..WTF?  :think:)...or who knows what else.  They have their own language and drive their own style...or used to anyway.

I think a lot of times too those who speed up aren't using their CC or maybe don't have it? I can't imagine living in a place where there's actual traffic like what you guys live with.  I'd be flipping the bird, a lot.  I don't even like Wpg and it's nothing like TO or lower BC.  (A lot of) Wpg drivers all drive 10 kmh or more under, rain or shine.

Jees man, thats like driving through Brandon when we go see the wifes family, just a bunch of Qtips in Buicks going 10-15 under the speed limit with absolutely no idea where they are headed. Its like everyone in that area and south is at least 95 years old.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2024, 07:20:33 am »
Why do some highway drivers speed up, pass you, pull in front of you, then 2 minutes later they're going slower than you.  ???

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2024, 09:10:23 am »
Why do some highway drivers speed up, pass you, pull in front of you, then 2 minutes later they're going slower than you.  ???

Because they don't use cruise control and don't know how to keep a steady pace. I don't think it's intentional, just stupidity.