Author Topic: Food  (Read 714439 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Food
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:35:53 am »
This article had me thinking:

http://www.blogjam.com/2007/06/28/silkworm-pupa-pizza/

What have you eaten that you think others would find bizarre?  I have eaten baby octopus and chips which was great, and frog/rabbit in France but nothing too weird (by my standards).  I draw the line at bugs though.. I just think I'd throw up!

I know it's a cultural thing so I'm not knocking anyone else's choices, just interested to know if anyone has eaten cat, dog, mice, bugs etc. on their travels?

:)

P.S. Is there any Western food that people find odd?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 06:57:04 am »
some find a proper Belgian/French Andouillette a bit gruesome, when you open it up and all the bits of pig intestines fall out... but with mustard sauce and fries... yummy. By the standards of your linky it is pretty normal tho'
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 08:38:57 am »
In my China travels I've tried water beatles..once. Crunchy and tasted kind'a weird...then again, maybe it was what I was drinking at the time.
The cold pickled pigs ear was far better.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 09:35:21 am »
I've eaten cow brains, lizards, fish eyeballs, and various animal innards that were hard to figure out in the translation.  The bugs I've eaten were from bicycling.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 09:49:07 am »
Like most people from the Western World, my diet has changed compared to what our ancestors ate.  It has lost many a body part but added food from around the world.

Compared to what the rest of the world eats, the North American diet has shrunk to an unbelievably narrow spectrum of dairy, beef, chicken, fish, certain fruits & veggies and of course grains.

So, before I complain about insects, I should at least try brain, tongue and other other organ meats to at recapture my own cultural history.

Then, and only then can I say with authority:   ewwwwww gross. :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:10:34 am »
This article had me thinking:

http://www.blogjam.com/2007/06/28/silkworm-pupa-pizza/

What have you eaten that you think others would find bizarre?  I have eaten baby octopus and chips which was great, and frog/rabbit in France but nothing too weird (by my standards).  I draw the line at bugs though.. I just think I'd throw up!

I know it's a cultural thing so I'm not knocking anyone else's choices, just interested to know if anyone has eaten cat, dog, mice, bugs etc. on their travels?

:)

P.S. Is there any Western food that people find odd?

Yes. I was born in South China, so have pretty much eaten a lot of foods that I wouldn't be able to stomach today, basically anything moves (with non-poisonous meat) is edible where I cam from.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 10:57:56 am »
I ate sting ray in Japan.  Have tried sheep's brain while on vacation in France, and I used to buy ground horse meat from a butcher in Montreal when I lived there.  Way leaner than extra lean ground beef.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 02:42:19 pm »
HMM, ive eaten snake eyeballs once in Malaysia (paid 100$ US for that buffet) and my colleagues in Korea took me out to a restaurant where we ate dog. There were several cages outside the restaurant and you could pick and choose which dog you wanted to eat.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 03:05:34 pm »
HMM, ive eaten snake eyeballs once in Malaysia (paid 100$ US for that buffet) and my colleagues in Korea took me out to a restaurant where we ate dog. There were several cages outside the restaurant and you could pick and choose which dog you wanted to eat.

Man, that would just kill me!  I could probably eat a friendly animal (e.g. horse/rabbit) if I hadn't met it, but I definitely couldn't choose it!

Great stories people, keep 'em coming!
 :) :( :o :P :-X :hurl: :rofl2:

Offline jcon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 03:08:43 pm »

You what I loved about Malaysia? Beef bacon. So, so good!

I don't think I've eaten anything really weird or odd. Not because I wouldn't try it, but have not been offered it.

Ate kangaroo. Gamey.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 03:13:15 pm »

Damn, you guys have tried some exotic stuff!
I thought I had tried some weird things in my relatively short life, like fried grasshopper and cow tongue, but wow, snake eye ball?  Never would have imagined that.

I've grown up in culture where dog is eaten, but personally never tried it.  I heard it's chewy and nice.   Koreans are also known to eat bear kidney and feet, make alchoholic beverage out of snake, eat frog, chicken galbladder, tiger balls, etc. ;D  never tried any of the above, except chicken one.  

Acquaintance of mine from china apparently tried monkey brain.   It was outlawed some time ago, but he said it was quite good.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 03:30:23 pm »

I could never, never, ever do that. The thought of it makes me incredibly angry and disgusted. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :shake: :shake: :shake: :hurl: :hurl:
The nonchalant cruelty to animals in asia just makes me sick. I'll eat almost anything, but not an animal that is considered a family pet.

My wife reactes the same way when i told her about it. She is a dog lover and a vegetarian.
Well life goes on, they told me if you are in Korea and you didnt eat dog then its like you didnt come here (like not seeing CN tower when you visit toronto)
Anyway other than that i had a huge traditional dinner with several different animals, types of fish, octopus, squid etc.. dont remember what i ate that night (I dont know why the waitress was surprised when i ordered coke to gulp everything down)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:32:15 pm by Chetan »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 03:42:09 pm »

Acquaintance of mine from china apparently tried monkey brain.   It was outlawed some time ago, but he said it was quite good.

A colleague of mine who visited our office in China in 2001 had money brain.
According to him this is how they serve monkey brain:
You go to the restaurant and everyone is sitting on the chairs with the table in front of them. And everyone orderd monkey brain
Suddenly they take away the entire table
Then there is a new table dragged in its place and there is a steel bowl upside down covering something in front of everyone.
When you remove the bowl you see the monkey brain cooked.
The brain is not in a plate but in the Monkey's skull which is sawed off from the top.
 the brain is removed, cooked and put back in the skull again..
Not only that when my colleague looked under the table the entire monkey was hanging below from the hole in the table.

They did not cut the monkey's head off, they have adjustable holes in the table to fit the skull.. Just that the table cloth is long enough that he did not see the monkey when they dragged the table..

Of all that i have eaten i dont think i would have been able to eat that...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:45:09 pm by Chetan »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 04:04:57 pm »

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 05:44:38 pm »
I've eaten MONKEY NUTS...................wot we called Peanuts in Africa........ :P..

Tried crispy catepillar..locals boiled them in season ..right off the tree into boiling pot then sun dried....hey I was 9 or so...also loved BILTONG...dried buffalo Jerky....But Mom cooked Ox Tongue,Ox Tails,Tripe (Stomach) and haggis,pigs trotters..one thing I would't try was called
 "POTTED HEID"..potted head...hope it wasn't MONKEY.... :stick:  Ooops just read the Wikepedia story about HEID....ya don't wanna KNOW........next time someone bugs ya fer some HEAD ladies...serve them this..... :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 05:48:42 pm by safristi »
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 07:12:04 pm »
Thanks, Chetan.  Who's got the next story?  Has anyone here eaten small children, puppies or kittens lately?

FFS.   >:(

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 08:08:17 pm »
;D  what's with personal offense being taken around here?  Some people like trying other culture's delicacy, however gross or weird it may seem to you, and I think one should respect that.

kittens, I would rather not, children, definitely not. :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 08:51:32 pm »
You do realize if you died alone in your house and your pets ran out of pet food, they will probably eat you after going hungry for a few days.  Sometimes I wonder about my cats are licking me when their food dishes are empty.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 08:55:59 pm »
;D  what's with personal offense being taken around here?  Some people like trying other culture's delicacy, however gross or weird it may seem to you, and I think one should respect that.

For the record, I have a great deal of respect for other cultures.  Now it's time to respect mine.  Thanks.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 09:22:31 pm »

I expect a young child could be treated like a suckling pig or even made into jerk human.   trouble is you can catch diseases from under cooked human like Mad Cow's human version Jacobs-Creuzfeld or some name like that.