Author Topic: The Weather Thread  (Read 2413420 times)

avtoller

The Weather Thread
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:07:18 pm »
The end of the world is neigh! While the tsunami warning turned out to be unneeded, the storm warning was understated, at least for good old Port Alberni. I keep an informal rain gauge on my deck, and expecting a goodly rain last night, I emptied it at 9 pm. During the night I was woken repeatedly by window rattling thunder and the sound of the house being lashed by wind and rain. When I finally got up at 6:30 am, I checked the gauge and it had overflowed!! It only measures up to 80 mm, but still ... In the last 2.5 hours we've received almost 25 mm more, and there is no relief in sight.

I had an early appointment and when I went out at 7:45, there was extensive flooding to the point that my front license plate was severely bent - and I took it easy. I got several horror stories at my appointment. I decided to take the only other route to get back home and found it blocked by a sizable tree. The 3 minute drive home took me 30.  :P

As I'm sitting here writing, I'm watching a tug go up "the Canal". It looks like a cork bobbing in rapids. I sure would hate to be aboard. The wind and rain is making it very unattractive to try and walk in the open, and MUCH to dangerous to try and walk in the woods, so this may be the first day in almost 9 months that Daffi and I won't walk at least 16 km.  :'( :'( Guess it's time for some nice hot chocolate.  :thumbup: ;D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: The Weather Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:11:08 pm »
Oh, great, I can only look forward to it getting rotten here later today then. It's dry for now, and almost brought the Mustang, but in the end took the HL. Glad I did. The BC Hiway web cams are all showing rain except here and the NE BC area.  :P
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 12:15:43 pm »
Clear skys here  - 0C or so here - up to 8C or so by the weekend  8)

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
The end of the world is neigh! While the tsunami warning turned out to be unneeded, the storm warning was understated, at least for good old Port Alberni. I keep an informal rain gauge on my deck, and expecting a goodly rain last night, I emptied it at 9 pm. During the night I was woken repeatedly by window rattling thunder and the sound of the house being lashed by wind and rain. When I finally got up at 6:30 am, I checked the gauge and it had overflowed!! It only measures up to 80 mm, but still ... In the last 2.5 hours we've received almost 25 mm more, and there is no relief in sight.

I had an early appointment and when I went out at 7:45, there was extensive flooding to the point that my front license plate was severely bent - and I took it easy. I got several horror stories at my appointment. I decided to take the only other route to get back home and found it blocked by a sizable tree. The 3 minute drive home took me 30.  :P

As I'm sitting here writing, I'm watching a tug go up "the Canal". It looks like a cork bobbing in rapids. I sure would hate to be aboard. The wind and rain is making it very unattractive to try and walk in the open, and MUCH to dangerous to try and walk in the woods, so this may be the first day in almost 9 months that Daffi and I won't walk at least 16 km.  :'( :'( Guess it's time for some nice hot chocolate.  :thumbup: ;D

Welcome to the next El Nino winter.  In southern Ontario, we can expect mild temperatures, but some good dumpings of snow.  The last El Nino was in the winter of 1998-1999.  January 1999 was when Mel Lastman called in the army to shovel the snow in Toronto.

Fasten your seatbelts, folks... It's gonna be an interesting ride to spring.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 12:50:48 pm »
Clear skys here  - 0C or so here - up to 8C or so by the weekend  8)

Rain and wind on the Coast usually means a Chinook for Southern AB, so get ready to batten down the hatches, Arthur.  ;D

avtoller

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:58:16 pm »
The temperature has gone up 9c in the last 3 hours and gusts are now over 100km/h. Daffi, a devout water dog, asked to go out. I let her try the rear deck. I checked her 15 minutes later and she was bone dry. One thing she isn't is stupid.  She's now curled up in her bed - with her legs firmly crossed. It'll be interesting to see how long she can last.  ??? :rofl2: :rofl2: BTW, we've had more rain in the last 24 hours than we had June-September inclusive.  :o :o

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 01:02:12 pm »
Things already have been interesting here, a 27 car pile up on Highway #2 two weeks ago, and a closure of the Highway on Monday, with semis flipping left and right ... November is not even half done yet ... lots of little stupid traffic accidents in town, mostly single vehicle roll overs ... idiots idiots idiots ... most of the drivers are good tho.

Feels warm this morning at -2 C.  :)

kelli

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 01:30:21 pm »

January 1999 was when Mel Lastman called in the army to shovel the snow in Toronto.

I was going to Humber that year, staying in rez. Being from Sudbury, i thought that was hilarious =)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 01:38:11 pm »
The temperature has gone up 9c in the last 3 hours and gusts are now over 100km/h.

Postponed my trip to the Island until Friday, if at all this week.  Heavy snow reported between Hope and the toll booths on the Coq.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 02:03:27 pm »
Definitely some very tight isobars = strong winds.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 03:38:57 pm »
Been raining all week here and scheduled to continue on until Sunday.. :(

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 03:43:28 pm »
It was 15 degrees today and they are expecting 19 degrees on friday  :)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 04:02:56 pm »
The end of the world is neigh!

Well, that's a horse of a different colour, for sure.  :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 04:04:56 pm »
Welcome to the next El Nino winter.  In southern Ontario, we can expect mild temperatures, but some good dumpings of snow.  The last El Nino was in the winter of 1998-1999.  January 1999 was when Mel Lastman called in the army to shovel the snow in Toronto.

Fasten your seatbelts, folks... It's gonna be an interesting ride to spring.

Ice storm part II, then? :( :( :o

ghost

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 04:22:51 pm »
lots of heavy rain in GVRD. Kinda glad that I take the train to work and not have to worry about the traffic.  And my office is connected via underground path from the station. :)
But poor wifey today had to drive to Surrey for a convention meeting.  :-\

B2

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 04:29:21 pm »
I live in Squamish and commute to Vancouver every day, so I drive the Sea to Sky highway.  Normally it's among the nicest drives in Canada, but the recent rains is making it horrific.  Because of the highway construction, many of the trees that once shielded the winds off Howe Sound are cut, so the cross-winds on the highway blast hard.  Plus, much of the highway is like a river with newly formed "lakes" so I'm hydroplaning most of the way.

When will the rain STOP!!!!!

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 04:44:56 pm »
As I post this, BC highways Nos 4, 5, 16, 19, 28, 99, 101 and Head Bay are all closed at some point.  Plus NO sailings of BC Ferries so far today either.  Not a good day to travel in BC  :D

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 04:48:09 pm »
Travel is fine here yet and no rain, although I suspect, by the looks of the clouds, rain is coming. A bit of a breeze, but compared to the Coast today and the mountain passes, it's a walk in the park in Kelowna.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 04:50:47 pm »
Travel is fine here yet and no rain, although I suspect, by the looks of the clouds, rain is coming. A bit of a breeze, but compared to the Coast today and the mountain passes, it's a walk in the park in Kelowna.

Don't worry, it is heading your way   ;D    We are getting pummeled with rain and wind right now but looking at the highway cams, the Coq is getting all rain right now too.

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 05:34:05 pm »
Looking at a satellite picture of the area it looked like there was a rather large ARK floating around. Was that Noah"s by any chance? :rofl2: ;D

Here in Toronto we are supposed to get dumped on tonight but nothing like Vancouver is getting. Hope you guys all stay dry out there.