Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Focus SEL hatchback  (Read 4049 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Focus SEL hatchback
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:04:30 am »

The 2012 Focus is a better driver's car than the previous generation, but sacrifices some practicality to get there.

Read More...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Focus SEL hatchback
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 08:36:15 am »
Not so sure buyers willing to pony up the cash for this model. Call it tied for 6th spot in April sales.
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2012/05/canada-car-sales-charts-april-2012.html

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:31:23 am »
I was able to get a more thorough test drive a month ago when I test drove it back-to-back with a Golf TDI, and this time it was a Titanium hatchback model so it came with more goodies and sport suspension/tires, although the MSRP was an eye-watering $28,700 US. I want to like this car, but ultimately there were a couple issues that bugged me.

1. 5-speed manual. Many other cars offered a 6-speed today, and the compromise in gearing shows in the Ford. It's not horrid, but around town, it's more difficult to squirt in and out of traffic because the gaps between gears are larger and thus you have to be in the right gear before executing a quick lane change or merge. And given that I do a lot of prolonged highway driving (120-140km/h, sometimes faster), 5th gear is too short and revs too high for comfort and fuel consumption.

2. Like the article mentioned, interior room is tight. I'm not tall at all (1,73m) but the rear seat passengers better be children or else headroom is gonna be a real issue. Not much comfort upfront either in terms of space. Also, no rear vents for the passengers, something the Golf has.

3. No xenon headlights available, once again, available on the Golf (US). Deal-killer for me; I drive rural roads at speed at night.

Given the Focus' price right near the Golf TDI, the latter is a better car and a better deal, plus has superior fuel consumption and emissions figures. Ford in the US offers a bunch of incentives to move the Focus but unless they can fix the options packaging and not force consumers to buy a top-end model to get sport suspension and summer tires, I don't see it being a sales-winner. Pity too, because it drives very well and has good road-manners in a good all-round package. I hear rumours of an even better, 1 litre engine coming in the near future with Stop-Start tech.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:34:17 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:15 am »
I really like the looks of this vehicle and the driving dynamics sound good, but I'm surprised that the interior is as cramped as is stated, considering it's size.  Also, the auto transmission doesn't sound like something with which I'd want to have to live.

So, I'm not the least bit tempted to ditch my Golf, which is, in imho, still the overall best small car out there, for a Focus.   On another note, it's too bad I can't say the same holds true any more for the Jetta.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:13 am »
I really like the looks of this vehicle and the driving dynamics sound good, but I'm surprised that the interior is as cramped as is stated, considering it's size.  Also, the auto transmission doesn't sound like something with which I'd want to have to live.

So, I'm not the least bit tempted to ditch my Golf, which is, in imho, still the overall best small car out there, for a Focus.   On another note, it's too bad I can't say the same holds true any more for the Jetta.

I totally agree with you.  I do like the design of this Focus very much, but the tight interior would throw me off.  I want to go down in size for my next car and will most likely go for the Golf TDI.  I've driven the Jetta you've mentioned as a loaner car while my VW was getting regularly serviced a number of times and it's got to have the cheapest interior on ANY car today...would never buy that thing.  I understand why people would buy it (much cheaper than most) but there's no comparison to the Golf.  Doesn't the Focus seem a little too expensive?

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:28:11 am »

I will definitely cross shop the Focus ST hatch and the Golf GTI MKVII when they are both here in 2013.  I will prefer a MT in either car but I'll settle for a DSG transmission in either one .

I will insist ( Ford are you listening!!!) on proper HID lights with self leveling and washers on either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline jekelly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:56:06 pm »
I totally agree with Chris, tigh interior and searching were are these 160HP. I red the 9 articles about the contest and almost all car have been evaluated on their fuel economy. Why the Focus do not have this stat?

Thanks.

J-E

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:36 pm »

despite the visual appearance of the new Focus hatchback looking larger than the previous generation (of which i had 3 of), it isn't really that "big" inside...when i was looking at cars, i cross shopped the Rio5 against the Fiesta (as both are subcompacts), but noticed the Rio5 is a fair amount larger inside...the Fiesta feels skinny and small...when i compared the Rio5 against the Focus, there isn't much of a difference...i didn't mind getting a small car, but the Fiesta just "felt" too small...i find the room in my Rio5 to be sufficient for my needs without it feeling like i am squished in a sardine can...the comparatively equipped Focus is close to $8k more than the Rio5...i couldn't see where the $8k was, and i actually preferred the Rio5 anyway, so it was a no brainer...i think both cars look great, so there isn't really a difference there...and the new 2013 Fusion looks like it should be $20k more than it is (looks like an Aston Martin).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 09:22:17 pm »
ford is definately more into design, technology (a bit too much for me) and driving dynamics than space and practicality. People with families here in Canada will go with something else.

The problem is... The old focus was a lot bigger inside (1st gen 2000-2007) I had a svt one. You're supposed to improve ergonmics and practicality with each new gen... and they did the opposite

the other problem is if I want something small, sporty and good looking. I will be able to get a  Fiat abarth 1.4 turbo or if I want a 4 door, a Dodge Dart 1.4 turbo, a Cruze turbo for cheaper/in the same price range (turbo motors are always more appealing to an enthusiast). They also plan to release the fiesta st which will be cheaper/similar as a titanium but with more power and almost the same usable space inside.

They need to bring the 1.6 petrol and diesel with a 6 speed manual from europe and the new 1.0 I3 for fuel economy.

Give us more choice and rethink the packaging.

PS: a ST sedan, a DCT (on the ST), and recaro seats without MFT(on the st) should be available.  A sedan and DCT would be a smart move to move a LOT more units of the st.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 10:47:53 pm by alexdc »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 12:03:04 am »
They also plan to release the fiesta st which will be cheaper/similar as a titanium but with more power and almost the same usable space inside.
the Fiesta is a fair amount smaller than the Focus...mostly noticeable in width...it's a small car, and feels like it...i wasn't overly impressed, especially considering it was $23k, which was more than the Rio5 i bought, which has every feature offered (many of them not even available in the Fiesta), plus it is bigger...the Fiesta is pretty small.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 12:19:02 am »
I really enjoyed my testdrive of the '12 Focus SE Hatch. Solid interior, quiet and supple ride, adequate acceleration with excellent handling & direct steering. The car reminded me of a VW Golf. I hope to get one as a rental next week in Calgary (or a Mazda 3). It seems to be a good fit for driving through the Rockies.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 12:21:18 am by 1TSX »

Offline alexdc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Mazda3 Sport GS, 2.3 5 speed manual. commuter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 02:10:04 am »
They also plan to release the fiesta st which will be cheaper/similar as a titanium but with more power and almost the same usable space inside.
the Fiesta is a fair amount smaller than the Focus...mostly noticeable in width...it's a small car, and feels like it...i wasn't overly impressed, especially considering it was $23k, which was more than the Rio5 i bought, which has every feature offered (many of them not even available in the Fiesta), plus it is bigger...the Fiesta is pretty small.

I was talking about the fiesta st though with 1.6 turbo 6 speed manual.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:57:13 am »
ford is definitely more into design, technology (a bit too much for me) and driving dynamics than space and practicality. People with families here in Canada will go with something else.

The problem is... The old focus was a lot bigger inside (1st gen 2000-2007) I had a svt one. You're supposed to improve ergonomics and practicality with each new gen... and they did the opposite

the other problem is if I want something small, sporty and good looking. I will be able to get a  Fiat abarth 1.4 turbo or if I want a 4 door, a Dodge Dart 1.4 turbo, a Cruze turbo for cheaper/in the same price range (turbo motors are always more appealing to an enthusiast). They also plan to release the fiesta st which will be cheaper/similar as a titanium but with more power and almost the same usable space inside.

They need to bring the 1.6 petrol and diesel with a 6 speed manual from europe and the new 1.0 I3 for fuel economy.

Give us more choice and rethink the packaging.

PS: a ST sedan, a DCT (on the ST), and Recaro seats without MFT(on the st) should be available.  A sedan and DCT would be a smart move to move a LOT more units of the st.
A real Focus ST has to be a hatch with a proper well fitting luggage area cover. Far more useful although someone who was going to the track might consider a sedan more rigid.  As for the DCT in the ST, yes, with proper ( mounted on the steering column) paddles. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 04:09:22 pm »
I was talking about the fiesta st though with 1.6 turbo 6 speed manual.
that's fine...it's still a small car...i believe a Rio5 Turbo will also likely be out, which will likely have more power too...my point wasn't about the power/turbo...it was about what it is like in the Fiesta...i wasn't overly impressed, and certainly not for its $23k price either.