Author Topic: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT. The nanny state?  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
2023 Mazda CX-5 GT. The nanny state?
« on: July 20, 2023, 04:23:23 pm »
I know, I know what has not been written about the CX-5? I will not go on and on about what a great SUV it is (OK maybe a bit). But I will also bring up a few little disappointments and/or surprises.

This review is based on only 800 kms of mostly city driving after 2 months of ownership. Sadly my wife got hurt just after we bought the Mazda. I am busy playing caregiver. This mishap really messed up any plans for a road trip. She will be OK so it is just a delay.

First the good stuff.

The best thing about the CX-5 is it's refinement, The interior is classy and  I love the quietness of the ride. It truly does feel like a luxury brand. I have been in my friend's Lexus RX350 numerous times and I find this to be just as nice.

The level of equipment on my GT model is amazing. It has got everything I would want and more. It is a huge leap in technology for me as I have never had a car equipped like this before. Not even close. It has been quite a learning curve for me including living without a CD player. Such things as heads up display, lane keep assist, Cross traffic alert, automated radar cruise control, navigation, voice controls, power lift gate and keyless entry to name a few. The only thing I wish I had is the 360 camera that is on the signature model.

The Bose sound system is not talked about too highly in most reviews. I happened think it is excellent. Best system I have ever had in a car.  With the quiet environment of the CX-5 and this system I learning to enjoy listening to music in the car again.

I do not really hate the black trim around wheels near as much as I thought I would. It does looks pretty good with the black on white combo. Also the fact that many of the new waxes and ceramic sprays do not stain the black plastic makes life a lot easier when detailing / waxing.

The extra cost Rhodium White Metallic paint is quite nice. It really has a nice pearl finish. The only concern there is that I read that with this new color Mazda is using less paint. I think I read it is 2 coats vs 3. I hope the paint holds up, but so far so good.

Headlights perform very well. I huge improvement over cars I have owned.

Just like most owners have said, you get use to the lack of a touch screen. While not a pro yet,  I am certainly getting used to the rotary control and menu buttons. I think it going to work out just fine.

Now for the disappointments.

The Nanny State

The car is a bit of a nanny state where the car decides things for you. It drives me a bit nuts.

In my driving I very rarely use the re-circulate feature for heating and ventilation. But when you start the CX-5 it automatically selects the re-circulate setting under certain conditions. For example when the outside temp exceeds a certain temperature the car will default to re-circulate. The idea is to help with AC's performance. I would much prefer it just remember my last setting and let me decide if and when to use re-circulate.

The lighting in cluster gauge dims automatically at night. There is an adjustment you can use but it only allows you to select varying degrees of dimness. Not bright enough for my liking. But if you go past the max setting it jumps to over-ride the night time dimming function altogether and jumps dramatically to daylight brightness which is too bright. I suspect the dimming occurs with every drive so it means I have to override it each time. Why can I not just select the brightness level I want and have it stay that way.?

In Canadian versions it seems that at night you cannot turn the headlights off. When I back into my downward sloping driveway at night my car's lights point up and light up my neighbor's house across the road like prison search lights. Out of courtesy I tried to turn the lights off but found I could not.

Other things I am not crazy about.

Not a fan of tinted windows. While they look nice I find they impede my vision out the back at night. I really like to see what is going on around me.  Also I find it is hard to gesture to other drivers. For example if they let me into their lane I may give them a thank you wave but I do not think they can see me.

I am not crazy about the USB ports being in armrest. I would prefer at least one in opening in  dash ahead of shifter.

I wish there was more under floor storage in back. But I do have a spare tire. I also wish the 2 cubbies on each side where bigger.

I find the some gauge cluster displays a bit on small side.

Disappointed that seat memory function does not control settings on outside mirrors as well.

The manual is huge at about 500 pages, repetitive and confusing. It refers to functionality with different gauge cluster options. It is confusing to figure out which one I am to refer to.  It refers to functionalities and features my CX-5 may or may not have. There is one section (I think on cruise control) where is must have referred to 5 different variations of function. I was baffled about which one I was supposed to follow. I really wish the manual was pared down and referred to my model. It could be trimmed down to 200 pages.

In closing

So that is my impressions after 2 months. I know no car is perfect. Despite the smalls issues I have I am very happy with out decision to purchase the CX-5. Features, reliability, availabilty and price played heavily in our decision. Also the fact that it had a spare and a normally aspirated engine.

The CX-5 was delivered with no issues and so far it has been perfect. It seems extremely well thought out and very well built.  I would recommend this SUV for sure.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:27:41 pm by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
Re: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT. The nanny state?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 04:52:21 pm »
Did somebody say CX-5??     :bounce:  ;D

We are happy with ours as well.. not a surprise I guess because we liked our previous 2017.
Nanny state... yes ... you probably haven't experienced this one yet:  We make semi-regular drives to Toronto and back.. about an hour drive each way on a good day.  Behind the wheel on that drive a few weeks ago..45 minutes or so in... hear a BONG!!! with a message on dash saying "It's Time For a Break"   Okay...  ::)

I do find the 360 camera alerts/warnings overly sensitive.  It is clearly programmed to protect the most incompetent of drivers.

We've got about 3,200 km's on ours now... average f/e is showing 9.5  Our non-turbo 2017 had an average of 9.2
Part of that i guess is my wife puts most of the mileage on and she is a pretty docile driver.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:54:26 pm by Weels »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2023, 06:52:09 pm »
In my driving I very rarely use the re-circulate feature for heating and ventilation. But when you start the CX-5 it automatically selects the re-circulate setting under certain conditions. For example when the outside temp exceeds a certain temperature the car will default to re-circulate. The idea is to help with AC's performance. I would much prefer it just remember my last setting and let me decide if and when to use re-circulate.

I'm assuming you have it in 'auto', where the car decides the best settings?  On my 2019, I think, if I switch change any climate setting, it reverts to manual mode, and then stays that way until you press 'auto' again, even after a shutdown and re-start.

The lighting in cluster gauge dims automatically at night. There is an adjustment you can use but it only allows you to select varying degrees of dimness. Not bright enough for my liking. But if you go past the max setting it jumps to over-ride the night time dimming function altogether and jumps dramatically to daylight brightness which is too bright. I suspect the dimming occurs with every drive so it means I have to override it each time. Why can I not just select the brightness level I want and have it stay that way.?

Have you checked the vehicle settings in the central Infotainment?  There are myriad changes you can make, from door locks, to how long the headlights stay on, to probably even dash light dimming - I think you can tweak the sensitivity in there. 

We are happy with ours as well.. not a surprise I guess because we liked our previous 2017.
Nanny state... yes ... you probably haven't experienced this one yet:  We make semi-regular drives to Toronto and back.. about an hour drive each way on a good day.  Behind the wheel on that drive a few weeks ago..45 minutes or so in... hear a BONG!!! with a message on dash saying "It's Time For a Break"   Okay...  ::)

My 2019 does not do this, even though I Have the full speed auto cruise control and lane correction.  My 2018 Tundra had rest reminders but the CX-5 does not.  Honestly something I can do without. 

I do appreciate the little vibration that it gives the steering wheel if you're wandering over the line.  It beats an audible beep, which just clues in your spouse to your inattentiveness.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 07:15:26 pm »
From the manual...

The recirculated air position is the default position whenever the ignition is switched ON, the climate control system is on, and the outside temperature exceeds about 73ーF (23℃).

To exit the default recirculated air position, press the air intake selector switch to select the outside air position.

When the air intake selector switch is set to the outside air position and the outside temperature exceeds about 73ーF (23℃), the climate control system may automatically select the recirculated air position to improve the efficiency of the climate control system.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2023/cx-5/contents/06010100.html

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:39:59 pm »
Just a couple more shots of our CX-5 for those aficionados who cannot get enough of CX-5's.

Have to keep on talking about them as there are some Subaru Crosstrek owners trying to out-post us. :D

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 08:47:39 am »
From the manual...

The recirculated air position is the default position whenever the ignition is switched ON, the climate control system is on, and the outside temperature exceeds about 73ーF (23℃).

To exit the default recirculated air position, press the air intake selector switch to select the outside air position.

When the air intake selector switch is set to the outside air position and the outside temperature exceeds about 73ーF (23℃), the climate control system may automatically select the recirculated air position to improve the efficiency of the climate control system.

https://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2023/cx-5/contents/06010100.html

I paid a little more attention to this, and yeah, it seems like the auto climate control system does like to default to recirc in warmer weather.  I hadn't really paid much attention to it, prior.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 10:21:57 am »

We've got about 3,200 km's on ours now... average f/e is showing 9.5  Our non-turbo 2017 had an average of 9.2
Part of that i guess is my wife puts most of the mileage on and she is a pretty docile driver.

We are only getting 10.8 overall in our non-turbo. Mostly due to doing almost all short trips with all city driving. In our brief highway jaunts I have seen it registering under 7.0 in cluster so I am sure once we get a few little trips under our belt the average will drop.

Our 2015 Kia forte only average 10.8 of 26,000 kms. Once again it was victim of our driving patterns. So with that in mind the CX-5 is doing pretty good being a larger car and all wheel drive.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 10:30:11 am »

We are only getting 10.8 overall in our non-turbo. Mostly due to doing almost all short trips with all city driving. In our brief highway jaunts I have seen it registering under 7.0 in cluster so I am sure once we get a few little trips under our belt the average will drop.

This mirrors my experience exactly - the daily grind, short trips, I'm in the 10's, on longer highway jaunts I get into the 7's.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2023, 07:57:50 pm »

This mirrors my experience exactly - the daily grind, short trips, I'm in the 10's, on longer highway jaunts I get into the 7's.

Just got out on a mini 100 Km road trip today and pull off 7.0 round trip (if you trust the onboard display). Pretty damn impressive for an SUV. :banana:

Also finally gave a good test of the radar cruise control. Worked great. I assume (and hope) that when the CX-5 has to slow quickly due to slowing traffic that the brake lights are activated.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 09:35:50 am by Slow_lane »

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2023, 10:40:18 pm »

Just got out on a mini 100 Km road trip today and pull off 7.0 round trip (if you trust the onboard display). Pretty damn impressive for an SUV. :banana:

Also finally gave a good test of the radar cruise control. Worked great. I assume (and hope) that when the CX-5 has to slow quickly due to slowing traffic that the brake lights are activated.
I also tried the radar cruise during Vancouver rush hour and worked amazing. It freaked me out and I知 sure I won稚 use it again as I知 not ready to have the car drive itself.
My wife tried it on her MX30 and she feels same as me.
I知 sure other people are using it but it痴 not for me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 11:47:17 pm by sszoomzoom »

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2023, 08:00:33 am »

I also tried the radar cruise during Vancouver rush hour and worked amazing. It freaked me out and I知 sure I won稚 use it again as I知 not ready to have the car drive itself.
My wife tried it on her MX30 and she feels same as me.
I知 sure other people are using it but it痴 not for me.

I am quite surprised to read this. I am not a big adopter of technology. It all changes to fast for me. Not having a CD player was a huge blow. Did not even know what Apple Car Play or Android Auto was (nor did I care). Before I could figure out what the hell twitter was it changed into "X". The only screen shots I take are by accident and I do not even know what I hit to do it. But I have to say this adaptive cruise control is pretty cool. It allows me to use cruise control where I normally would not. I find it handy in highway construction zones (there are many in Montreal). Speeding fines are double so I lock in the reduced limit so I do not get into trouble. When congested it slows for me and keeps me far away from car in front. I always have it lock in at max distance (4 car lengths, I think). So overall I like it.

However, I have not used it on long road trips. I could see the potential for getting lazy and becoming inattentive with it on.

Do despite my age it seems I can still adapt to some things.  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2023, 09:59:02 am »
I don't use it in the city, the RX's older system can't go slow enough and the Crossie's kicks out if the vehicle stops for any amount of time due to the lack of an electronic parking brake (fixed for 2024)

But adaptive cruise on the highway rules. Never liked regular cruise much if there was any traffic

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 02:17:42 pm »
I don't use it in the city, the RX's older system can't go slow enough and the Crossie's kicks out if the vehicle stops for any amount of time due to the lack of an electronic parking brake (fixed for 2024)

But adaptive cruise on the highway rules. Never liked regular cruise much if there was any traffic

Probably a feature that's become "must have" in my daily driver.  I was never one to use dumb cruise, but adaptive makes highway cruising so effortless.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 08:24:05 pm »
All very nice, but it rips the sh*t of the brakes.  How do I know this?  The MDX has an icon that shows you when the rear brake lights activate.  On follow cruise, even at the longest distance, the ECM maintains an exact distance from the vehicle ahead. 

If you are in a line of cars, even 3, there is a 99% chance that one of those drivers are using their foot and the speed goes up and down constantly.

Currently, the ECMs are not intelligent enough to moderate the vehicle's speed with engine input.   No coasting like in the "olden" days.  You know the thing you once did with your FOOT.  :rofl2:

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 09:02:44 pm »
All very nice, but it rips the sh*t of the brakes.  How do I know this?  The MDX has an icon that shows you when the rear brake lights activate.  On follow cruise, even at the longest distance, the ECM maintains an exact distance from the vehicle ahead. 

If you are in a line of cars, even 3, there is a 99% chance that one of those drivers are using their foot and the speed goes up and down constantly.

Currently, the ECMs are not intelligent enough to moderate the vehicle's speed with engine input.   No coasting like in the "olden" days.  You know the thing you once did with your FOOT.  :rofl2:

Feel free to not use it if you're concerned about brake longevity and fuel efficiency, but for some of us, the convenience is worth it.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2023, 11:41:41 pm »

My car has about 150,000 kms on it and I haven't noticed increased brake wear in spite of frequent adaptive cruise use. I notice it does smooth out spacing. For example, if a car cuts in front of me, it doesn't slam on the brakes. Rather, it maintains speed as long as the vehicle in front is increasing in distance.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2023, 01:21:54 am »

I like to cruise in the left lane about 20-30 km/h above the limit. It seems like this keeps vehicle interaction to a minimum. Coming back from BC in an old Ridgeline loaded with camping gear and two motorcycles and must have overtaken about 300-400 vehicles. I wasn't the worst though 10-20  "jerks  ;D" passed me.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2023, 11:58:07 am »

I like to cruise in the left lane about 20-30 km/h above the limit. It seems like this keeps vehicle interaction to a minimum. Coming back from BC in an old Ridgeline loaded with camping gear and two motorcycles and must have overtaken about 300-400 vehicles. I wasn't the worst though 10-20  "jerks  ;D" passed me.

:D  Yeah, BC doesn't seem to care for the most part. Back in Alberta though things can be brutal, especially where the highway goes through places like Edson with aggressive photo radar

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2023, 06:19:28 pm »
Through towns I speak the queen's english.  Out on the freeway it seems like on our divided stuff the slow lane is 120km/h below and the left lane is 130km/h. Can't really sit in the middle (120-130) as it's too fast for the right and too slow for the left.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2023, 06:49:26 pm »
Through towns I speak the queen's english.  Out on the freeway it seems like on our divided stuff the slow lane is 120km/h below and the left lane is 130km/h. Can't really sit in the middle (120-130) as it's too fast for the right and too slow for the left.

You can get away with speeds like that here in Quebec on occasion but sooner or later the speeding tickets and demerit points would add up big time. If I did that all the time I would have my right to drive taken away. Our speed limit on highway is 100 kms/hr and I usually lock car in at 117 on long trip. I am careful and I have not had a ticket since early 90's.