Author Topic: Looking for my first car.  (Read 46599 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: Looking for my first car.
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2018, 03:55:54 pm »
Being a lawyer, I'd read the excess damage waiver terms and conditions and then decide.  The Foz was leased and then bought out, so it was a waste of money in any event :P, but it increased the size of allowable dents from a penny to a loonie.  Basically took dents on the doors out of our concern.

Heck, based on what you've now said, you should absolutely not lease a vehicle...tools etc lined up beside your car...it's fairly likely that you're gonna have a few woopsie moments.  Buy a gently used Mini and enjoy it for a few years.  Problem solved.
Right now We're just waiting to see, but getting a car now has been pushed about until probably September November, as We're discussing if we're going to continue living in the current apt or not after we talk with the land lord some more and see what's going on
If you're living in an apartment right now & paying rent, save your cash for a house & buy a good used $10,000 car.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: none
« Reply #261 on: January 24, 2018, 02:29:36 pm »
So after further talks and looking at everything, it seems like the car thing is going to be put off until late this year, possibly early next year, I will be renting out a couple of the cars I'm very interested in the mean time to get a day to day feel for them, Hopefully it changes but that's the situation now.

So I'll try to update this thread as i go and post here when I do eventually get the car, or have any other questions for you folks, and in the mean time feel free to hijack the thread lol.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #262 on: January 24, 2018, 02:45:21 pm »
Can you a car if you are under 25 ?

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 24, 2018, 06:17:22 pm »
Sorry, what are you trying to ask?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 24, 2018, 06:23:35 pm »

I'm guessing "Can you afford or insure a car if you are under 25?"  or something similar.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 24, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »

I'm guessing "Can you afford or insure a car if you are under 25?"  or something similar.
Gotcha, well if that is what he is asking, yes i can afford to insure a car as long as its below $2,800/yr if i go higher than that it might affect my ability to pay my share of the rent and other bills, which is why I'm considering a "Cheap" 250-325/mo lease for 3-4 years, which is why for my first car if it is a lease I want to give a NA company a shot to prove to me that they are reliable, and what i heard about them being bad was just from the old days or haters.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #266 on: January 24, 2018, 06:31:11 pm »

Sorry, can you rent a car under 25 ?
, I will be renting out a couple of the cars

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2018, 06:41:30 pm »

AH okay, To be 100% honest I'm not sure I haven't check into the legality's of it yet, but on the hertz website it does have a box to check that says are you under the age of i think 23? or something like that, and when you do it doesn't say you can't it just proceeds to booking the car, so with that in mind I'm making the assumption I can, as I have a Full license and about 2 years of insurance history now on 2 separate vehicles that might help me with rates as well, ontop of the fact I'm not trying to rent a sports car.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:37 pm »

Alright so i checked after you brought it up the age restriction is 20-24 excluding Quebec with an age differential of $25/day so it will be pricey for me but i only plan to rent 2-3 vehicles and for 2-3 days at a time, so it'll be what it'll be

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2018, 07:02:06 pm »
I remember renting a car when I was 20 or 21.  Certain conditions.  Had to have your own insurance policy, and some kind of hold on your credit card. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:30 pm »
not to be a jerk here or anything, but this is precisely why so many dealers/salespeople don't take young customers as seriously. they want to know all the answers, want to drive cars, want your final numbers.... all while they are *possibly* thinking about a car months down the road if it is even possible at all given insurance coasts these days, etc. etc....

and this is a kid (you) who seems to have his head on straight.

again, mean no offense, but just realize this is the reality the next time some middle aged guy at honda doesn't want to hand you the keys or come out and talk with you on the lot. we've all wasted a LOT of time on young kids who think they are ready to buy a car.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2018, 08:08:38 pm »
not to be a jerk here or anything, but this is precisely why so many dealers/salespeople don't take young customers as seriously. they want to know all the answers, want to drive cars, want your final numbers.... all while they are *possibly* thinking about a car months down the road if it is even possible at all given insurance coasts these days, etc. etc....

again, mean no offense, but just realize this is the reality the next time some middle aged guy at honda doesn't want to hand you the keys or come out and talk with you on the lot. we've all wasted a LOT of time on young kids who think they are ready to buy a car.

Well okay cool, but I also told every sales person before i even sat in something that I am looking at stuff ahead of time for later this year, so I didn't go there and pretend like it was going to be a now purchase, So I wasn't trying to lead any of them on. If they choose not to take me seriously thats their choice but it'll also reflect heavily when I do come back to purchase a vehicle, cause that says a lot about how future service would be.

Secondly Honda was the only dealer out of pretty much everyone that gave me any kind of hard time and for that I won't be returning, regardless of if the sale is now or down the road a customer is a customer.

With the whole they've wasted their time, Idk if thats true cause if they do come up and talk to me and show me stuff etc that's establishing a relationship with a potential Customer who can bring in revenue down the road. But every salesman is allowed to choose how he reacts to customers that's their right.

I didn't mean to offend anyone here if that's what just happened with you, its unfortunately a situation that happened outside my control, I had all the greenlights but just wanted to wait until summer unless i found an amazing deal cause that's when you can see some new models that might make you want to hold off or when better sales happen, but then the land lord stepped in and now the talks about moving have commenced so I just figure its the safest bet to hold off until September or late this year so we don't move and suddenly my car turns into a burden financially.

Anyways I'm tired so I'll end my comment here I had to rewrite it twice cause i initially read your message the wrong way, so I'll take that sign as time to catch some sleep.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »

Well this is why he (and the brand) won't get the sale...or get a recommendation from the kid when someone else needs a car. Or any of the sales for the next 50 years of this kid's driving and buying life.  And get badmouthed every chance you get.  How do I know this?  Because I've been treated like that.  Have walked on lots before where a salesman has said "Just dreaming?" instead of "How can I help you?".  Or got the "We don't give test drives in this car" after watching someone else take the car for a test drive.  And any other crooked ploys salesmen are prone to.  And there are lots of them.

Most salesmen I've known are total garbage.

I'm closing in on 50 year old fast....and I can count the names on one hand (with fingers to spare) of good salesmen I've known since I was old enough to buy a car.  As I get older, I keep hoping that the car buying process from a dealer will have less and less garbage as I age.  But nope...it hasn't happened yet. 

Heck493...go through as many dealers as you need to until you find a good salesman/dealership.  There's LOTS of garbage out there.  Be choosy.  And don't apologize or feel guilty for asking questions or taking up anyone's time.  It's (allegedly) their job. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »

Well this is why he (and the brand) won't get the sale...or get a recommendation from the kid when someone else needs a car. Or any of the sales for the next 50 years of this kid's driving and buying life.  And get badmouthed every chance you get.  How do I know this?  Because I've been treated like that.  Have walked on lots before where a salesman has said "Just dreaming?" instead of "How can I help you?".  Or got the "We don't give test drives in this car" after watching someone else take the car for a test drive.  And any other crooked ploys salesmen are prone to.  And there are lots of them.

Most salesmen I've known are total garbage.

I'm closing in on 50 year old fast....and I can count the names on one hand (with fingers to spare) of good salesmen I've known since I was old enough to buy a car.  As I get older, I keep hoping that the car buying process from a dealer will have less and less garbage as I age.  But nope...it hasn't happened yet. 

Heck493...go through as many dealers as you need to until you find a good salesman/dealership.  There's LOTS of garbage out there.  Be choosy.  And don't apologize or feel guilty for asking questions or taking up anyone's time.  It's (allegedly) their job.
^^^ Yep. Ppl can be jerks on both sides of the desk. At one Toyota dealer I had to pass on two "product consultants" who I didn't think deserved my business. The second guy stood up and walked out on me, and right there and then I asked for someone else who could help me and a fleet manager with experience took his time and ended up selling me a top trim level SUV.
At Hyundai, the same thing. One old school lying SOB told me to go and come back when I was "serious" and a couple of days later I stopped by again, spoke to a young Korean kid who was just hired and seemed genuine to me. 4 hours later the same day we inked the deal and that's when the SOB shows up. I've never before seen a guy so pissed  :rofl2:
Anyway, you just got to put on your thick skin and be patient with the reps because even a good guy sometimes has a crappy day in this business.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:08 pm »

Well he's going to have to travel from ocean to ocean to find even one OEM dealer that will let him behind the wheel of a demo.  Additionally, no OEM leasing division will lease the OP a vehicle even with a co-signer.

I will give you this; one of the best FANTASY threads in years.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2018, 10:07:59 pm »

Well he's going to have to travel from ocean to ocean to find even one OEM dealer that will let him behind the wheel of a demo.  Additionally, no OEM leasing division will lease the OP a vehicle even with a co-signer.

I will give you this; one of the best FANTASY threads in years.

Financial requirements by OEMs is different than how one is treated by a salesman.  And he should be able to get a test drive (~25 year old here just bought a new truck and confirms he tested it before driving).

I do agree he likely will need a co-signer....which, again, has nothing to do with being treated like crap from a salesman.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2018, 10:20:00 pm »
I thought the OP was 19?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2018, 10:40:52 pm »
I thought the OP was 19?

I dunno how old he is.

But I'm reasonably sure he'll be able to secure a test drive at some point.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2018, 11:24:00 pm »
When he gets a job.  His opening post says he's 19, finished high school with no job.

Be quite a few years me thinks ... quite a few.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2018, 11:32:51 pm »
When he gets a job.  His opening post says he's 19, finished high school with no job.

Be quite a few years me thinks ... quite a few.

So a 20 year old can't test drive a car?  Not even some mid size sedan?  Even with a co-signer?  How do young people buy cars?