Author Topic: Auto Tech: BMW's Tech Innovations  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: BMW's Tech Innovations
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:26:24 am »

Trick building materials and magic road-reading transmissions cap off a tour of BMW's latest technical wizardry.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: BMW's Tech Innovations
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:13:56 am »
"sense slower moving cars ahead, and will downshift the transmission in preparation for overtaking."

I would think this would trigger a Pavlovian response in the driver's mind that strongly predisposes him to passing.  Like having someone in the passenger seat yelling "Go for it Lesley!"

I'm not sure this is a good idea for off-the-track driving.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:38:13 am »
All this techno stuff is indeed good...but I wonder if, industry wide, it would not be cheaper to pressure governments to make the standards easier...all the way up to bribes and blackmail.   I am always surprised when the EPA in the states puts out new rules that  a gang of Republican congresscritters doesn't  force them to stop.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:02 am »
" I am always surprised when the EPA in the states puts out new rules that  a gang of Republican congresscritters doesn't  force them to stop."

One small part of the US government seems to work.  I wonder for how much longer?  This is NOT to imply Canadians are doing any better.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:38 am »
I'm always a fan of innovation, and would love to award BMW for its contributions - but they have to get their electronics reliability in check and they have to stop pricing their vehicles so aggressively.  Then again, they sell, so why should they?

Well, at least their competitors will soon adopt their technology and then we'll have it at a lower price point ;D

Kudos, BMW, and Kudos, Lesley for a very, very interesting read!

Northernridge

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 11:56:56 am »
I'm curious to see how luxury car makers decide to handle innovation in the longer run. These days technology finds its way to lower priced cars super fast – more and more it's actually introduced in these cars. It seems the days have passed when meaningful innovations always appear first in the most expensive cars.

It hardly seems impressive to be riding around in a $100k car when similar technological features can be had in cars costing a third the price. I think there is increasing pressure on the Germans, Lexus, Cadillac, etc. to pull some new tricks out of their hat. Either that or consumers accept that technological innovations happen at every price point and are not the domain of expensive cars...this would put more pressure on the luxury, design and performance quotients.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 12:21:01 pm »
I'm curious to see how luxury car makers decide to handle innovation in the longer run. These days technology finds its way to lower priced cars super fast – more and more it's actually introduced in these cars. It seems the days have passed when meaningful innovations always appear first in the most expensive cars.

It hardly seems impressive to be riding around in a $100k car when similar technological features can be had in cars costing a third the price. I think there is increasing pressure on the Germans, Lexus, Cadillac, etc. to pull some new tricks out of their hat. Either that or consumers accept that technological innovations happen at every price point and are not the domain of expensive cars...this would put more pressure on the luxury, design and performance quotients.

me too.    i guess they could go old school, and start building cars with more human again...  convey the luxury in attention to detail rather than throwing more tech at it..

and integrating tech in a way that is totally not obstructive, not even perceptible to drivers (or passengers)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »

me too.    i guess they could go old school, and start building cars with more human again...  convey the luxury in attention to detail rather than throwing more tech at it..

and integrating tech in a way that is totally not obstructive, not even perceptible to drivers (or passengers)

Yeah, but people are really impressed by acronyms, the more the better and therefore the safer and more tech the car is.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 12:39:09 pm »

I want to hope that the extra coin going into the high end stuff will be spent on improving overall "quality".... reliability, how the doors sound when they close, nicer leather, thicker glass, that sort of stuff.

But I suspect they may just go down the route of putting ridiculously big touchscreens in the expensive cars and smaller ones in the cheap cars. That seems to be how the cell phone world works.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 01:04:18 pm »
I want to hope that the extra coin going into the high end stuff will be spent on improving overall "quality".... reliability, how the doors sound when they close, nicer leather, thicker glass, that sort of stuff.

Likewise.

I'd only really care about a certain level of tech when shopping for a luxury car:  Nav, LED lights, heated seats (tech?), auto closing/opening hatch and windows.   That's about it.   I can do without active lane, park by wire, blah, blah, blah.

All just frivolous stuff (for my driving experience at least) that I can't see caring about other than worrying about the sensors breaking.

I'd much rather save that money or put it into getting a bigger engine and crafting an interior out of the finest materials available.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 01:17:53 pm »
"Building cars with more human"   I'll go for that...lets have Morgan open a factory here and build cars for Canada...or even just start to sell cars here.
There was a Wheeler-Dealer episode where they replaced the chassis on a Morgan...could just about be done in a large domestis garage with a lift and a couple of friends.   That is way cars should be. Wood and hand shaped metal panels.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:19:44 pm by tpl »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 01:26:56 pm »
"Building cars with more human"   I'll go for that...lets have Morgan open a factory here and build cars for Canada...or even just start to sell cars here.
There was a Wheeler-Dealer episode where they replaced the chassis on a Morgan...could just about be done in a large domestis garage with a lift and a couple of friends.   That is way cars should be. Wood and hand shaped metal panels.

Hear hear...I saw that episode as well. I liked it better when they changed the chassis on that TVR

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:44 pm »
"That is way cars should be. Wood and hand shaped metal panels."

And with pedals.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 05:21:35 pm »
"That is way cars should be. Wood and hand shaped metal panels."

And with pedals.

Cheers,
John M.
Yep,  3 is a good number.  Not to mention RWD and manual steering.   I am not sure I'd want to go back to SU carbs and ignition with points tho...some of the modern stuff is worth keeping.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 11:32:22 am »
I'd only really care about a certain level of tech when shopping for a luxury car:  Nav, LED lights, heated seats (tech?), auto closing/opening hatch and windows.   

I'd much rather save that money or put it into getting a bigger engine and crafting an interior out of the finest materials available.
^^^This (these?).

When I get into the 2006 RX400h (no longer the 'pinnacle' of luxury), I appreciate the comfy seats, backup camera, the 1-touch open/close windows, rain sensing wipers, and fancy swivelling headlights.  I like that it's rattle-free and everything feels nice to the touch.  I could care less about whether it can park itself or stop by itself - safety does not equate to luxury - it should be standard no matter the car.  Features, materials, and build quality, on the other hand...that's what I'm after.

With that being said, that's why I like BMW so much.  Not content with the usual materials, they're bringing the benefits of carbon fibre to the volumes at a reasonable price, they're producing PROPER turbo engines that have excellent fuel figures, they're bringing updated diesels, reducing drag, active grille shutters, etc.  This, to me, is what drives society - innovation, not "hey, we have heated rear seats."  Likewise for Nissan/Infiniti - the new steering is great, the Pathfinder/JX/QX70's clam-shell second row seat (folds while a child seat is still installed), etc. - These are things we need and can better our driving experience (in some ways).

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:07 pm »

Likewise.

I'd only really care about a certain level of tech when shopping for a luxury car:  Nav, LED lights, heated seats (tech?), auto closing/opening hatch and windows.   That's about it.   I can do without active lane, park by wire, blah, blah, blah.

All just frivolous stuff (for my driving experience at least) that I can't see caring about other than worrying about the sensors breaking.

Me too. I would rather see the budget spent on closing the compromise gap than tech that I don't use or care about.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 07:36:10 pm »
" The new, water-cooled exhaust manifold gently warms the cooling fluid to keep the engine at optimum temperature and helps to reduce friction."

This makes no sense to this mechanical engineer: if the water-cooled exhaust gently warms the cooling fluid RATHER than the cooling fluid cooling the exhaust gases, we have a problem, Houston.

All new engines from all manufacturers now have two cooling circuits, one for the head, one for the block, because virtually all new engines have exhaust manifolds within the head which is aluminum. If you don't want to melt the aluminum immediately, you have to cool this internal manifold very aggressively. The cooled exhaust gases have a further benefit for exhaust gas recirculation which is used to lower peak combustion temperatures and thereby lower the formation of NOx. As well as leaving less deposits of coking carbon on the backside of intake valves in direct injection engines.

If BMW gave the original explanation, their marketers don't understand their engineers. Also, how does cooling exhaust gases lower friction? Where is the correlation for causality?

Did BMW provide any real explanation or was the trip just marketing puff? I think they're using free trips to influence technical naifs that they're doing something unique, when all manufacturers are all over this stuff worldwide. That's why there are constant technical symposia for automotive engineers to spread the word on advances. I suppose each maker wants ro seem it's run by geniuses and fudges the amount of "innovation" they're introducing.

Carbon fibre is where BMW excels.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Re: Auto Tech: BMW's Tech Innovations
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »

Their cars weight certainly doesn't seem to reflect this excellence.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Auto Tech: BMW's Tech Innovations
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 08:50:30 pm »
" The new, water-cooled exhaust manifold gently warms the cooling fluid to keep the engine at optimum temperature and helps to reduce friction."

This makes no sense to this mechanical engineer: if the water-cooled exhaust gently warms the cooling fluid RATHER than the cooling fluid cooling the exhaust gases, we have a problem, Houston.

All new engines from all manufacturers now have two cooling circuits, one for the head, one for the block, because virtually all new engines have exhaust manifolds within the head which is aluminum. If you don't want to melt the aluminum immediately, you have to cool this internal manifold very aggressively. The cooled exhaust gases have a further benefit for exhaust gas recirculation which is used to lower peak combustion temperatures and thereby lower the formation of NOx. As well as leaving less deposits of coking carbon on the backside of intake valves in direct injection engines.

If BMW gave the original explanation, their marketers don't understand their engineers. Also, how does cooling exhaust gases lower friction? Where is the correlation for causality?

Did BMW provide any real explanation or was the trip just marketing puff? I think they're using free trips to influence technical naifs that they're doing something unique, when all manufacturers are all over this stuff worldwide. That's why there are constant technical symposia for automotive engineers to spread the word on advances. I suppose each maker wants ro seem it's run by geniuses and fudges the amount of "innovation" they're introducing.

Lol.  You know that it is an alloy, right?  It's not going to melt instantly.    Typically, the coolant circuit is running series to help heat up the coolant to optimum temperature quickly and then in parallel.

Secondly, in their turbo applications, I can't see them cooling the exhaust pre-turbo otherwise it won't have the same energy to spin the turbocharger.