Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz G-Class  (Read 7662 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2013 Mercedes-Benz G-Class
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 07:55:12 pm »
I have never seen one of these off pavement.

How come no one applies the same cost of ownership analysis to these sorts of thing as they do to hybrids etc?  Strange
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline robsaw

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 11:24:52 pm »

How come no one applies the same cost of ownership analysis to these sorts of thing as they do to hybrids etc?  Strange

Yeh, about as strange as the purchaser of the $15M mansion that doesn't consider the extra $200/month in heating costs over the $10M mansion.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 12:21:54 pm »
I would choose the Range Rover over this antiquated design any day.  It too is boxy but looks  a lot classier.  Its reliability may not be on par with the Merc, but who really cares at that price range.  The exterior of the Merc looks good, but that's about all it has going for it.  You can't even compare the interior of this thing to the Range Rover.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37:11 pm »
I would choose the Range Rover over this antiquated design any day.  It too is boxy but looks  a lot classier.  Its reliability may not be on par with the Merc, but who really cares at that price range.  The exterior of the Merc looks good, but that's about all it has going for it.  You can't even compare the interior of this thing to the Range Rover.

I guess it depends whether or not you're looking at the used market. I'd only consider one of these as a used buy, as few things depreciate faster than a brand-new, high-end luxury car/truck. The RR's long-term reliability is not just incrementally poorer than the G-wagon's; it's  downright abysmal. On the other hand, the G-wagon is known for being fairly bulletproof. I, too, love the interior and exterior looks of the RR, but those are immaterial if the darned thing will be spending the majority of its days in the shop.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:39:18 pm by lebowski »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
My dad is looking at Land Rover/Range Rover and while he loves the truck, the reliability is definetly holding him back on the purchase. The G wagen is not for him.....Ive tried, but no dice.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »
My dad is looking at Land Rover/Range Rover and while he loves the truck, the reliability is definetly holding him back on the purchase. The G wagen is not for him.....Ive tried, but no dice.

FWIW if your dad is keen on a Range Rover, it seems newer ones with the Jag components (i think MY 2006 and up) are markedly more reliable - still not Honda-grade, but better nonetheless.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »

FWIW if your dad is keen on a Range Rover, it seems newer ones with the Jag components (i think MY 2006 and up) are markedly more reliable - still not Honda-grade, but better nonetheless.

His first problem is he cant choose between the Land Rover or the Range Rover. He would be looking at brand new but the reliability is still shoddy when compared to Lexus/infinity/Toyota/Nissan.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

His first problem is he cant choose between the Land Rover or the Range Rover. He would be looking at brand new but the reliability is still shoddy when compared to Lexus/infinity/Toyota/Nissan.

Certainly a good problem to have 8). If reliability is the main criterion then Lexus is obviously hard to top. On the other hand, if he were leasing or at least planned to dump the car after 4 years, I'd skip the Toyota and the Land Rover, and go straight for the Range Rover - you only live once :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 03:22:15 pm »
He digs the Lexus LX570 and the Infinity QX56......I told him save the money and look at the Toyota Sequia and Nissan Armada and save the cash. My mom hovewer likes the interior of the fancier models. She does not like the RR, but it is going to be my dads car, so that doesnt factor as much.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
Why so the comments always get directed towards ego and these threads turn into and "us vs them?"

Why can't anyone buy this because they simply like it? I've always loved the G-Wagon; I think it's cool.

+ 1. I love the look of this vehicle. If I had boatloads of money, it'd be a great winter beater.  :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 03:27:43 pm by 1TSX »