Author Topic: Exclusion (Thumbs way way down)  (Read 11803 times)

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Volkswagen Rabbit
Exclusion (Thumbs way way down)
« on: May 15, 2014, 10:57:26 pm »
The Facts:

I am married. I have one at-fault accident (2010) and a couple of tickets over the past two years.
I drive a 2008 VW Rabbit and my wife drives a 2012 KIA Soul.

I'm insured with TD, and she is insured with Intact. I cannot switch my insurance to another company as all the quotes I've gotten are way more than my current price.

Intact (and turns out everyone else) is requiring us to both sign an exclusion agreement, essentially excluding me from driving her car.

My questions are:

Does anyone know of any insurance company that won't require me to sign such an agreement? Will my insurance cover me and/or her car if I actually drive it? Is it in fact illegal for me o drive her car? Is there any way around it?

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Exclusion (Thumbs way way down)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:10:06 pm »
The Facts:

I am married. I have one at-fault accident (2010) and a couple of tickets over the past two years.

I'm insured with TD, and she is insured with Intact. I cannot switch my insurance to another company as all the quotes I've gotten are way more than my current price.

Intact (and turns out everyone else) is requiring us to both sign an exclusion agreement, essentially excluding me from driving her car.

My questions are:

Does anyone know of any insurance company that won't require me to sign such an agreement? Will my insurance cover me and/or her car if I actually drive it? Is it in fact illegal for me o drive her car? Is there any way around it?

Thanks!

You sound like a huge risk, so I'm not surprised they want exclusions.  If you drive her car and crash it and you've signed an exclusion, I can't see why they'd cover you.  And depending on the wording of the exclusion, yes, it might be illegal (ie no insurance) if you drive her car.

Any way around it?  Pay up!  Or call a broker and see what they can do for you.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:16:31 pm »
I could give you my usual speech about how international corporations have superseded our governments and societies, but for now lets get some facts:  what your premium?

Essentially, if you have an accident in the wife's Soul her collision coverage would be denied and the liability paid out to third parties would be charged back to both of you.  The legal fees would equal the liability.  In other words, the insurance company would do a Mexican hat dance on you.

ONTARIO:  the worst jurisdiction to be drive and to be insured in North American.  Was once the best.  ::)

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
I'm currently paying 2,100 a year.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:24:42 pm »
I'm currently paying 2,100 a year.

That doesn't sound bad at all given your sketchy driving history

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:38 pm »
Its not bad, but I can't drive my wife's car. That is the issue you see....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 11:31:47 pm »
Its not bad,

Why the need to drive the wife's car??

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:33:55 pm »
The Facts:

My questions are:

Thanks!

Why doesn't your wife switch to TD? If TD is okay with you driving your own car, then surely they'd be okay with you driving her car.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:38:25 pm »
Why doesn't your wife switch to TD? If TD is okay with you driving your own car, then surely they'd be okay with you driving her car.

If she switches to TD, she will get his rating by default.

Obviously you are in no hurry to move here.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 11:39:58 pm »

Yep...they ask "Are there any other licensed drivers in the house"?  Once you answer yes, they ask for the driving record of that person and ZING...there goes the rates!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 11:43:03 pm »

What's wrong with you tonight  ???  :rofl2:     Can't a husband drive his wife's car to gas up, or her funeral  even.   What has this province/country come too.  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:49:36 pm »

What's wrong with you tonight  ???  :rofl2:     Can't a husband drive his wife's car to gas up, or her funeral  even.   What has this province/country come too.  :P.

HAHAHAHA!!  Yea, sure he can.  Was just wondering why it was a "deal breaker" type of thing... :rofl2:

F-you, BTW.... ;D :rofl2:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:07 pm »

Yep...they ask "Are there any other licensed drivers in the house"?  Once you answer yes, they ask for the driving record of that person and ZING...there goes the rates!

Well, yeah, but it sounded like it still might be cheaper than him switching companies and have his own rate go even higher.

I also figured they'd get a discount for having two cars on one policy instead of two separate policies, but I'm probably out to lunch on that one, too. :)

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:57:12 pm »
Her driving record is good.... Hmm.... If I switch her to TD, think they would allow me to be insured driving her car?

Her car is comfortable for her, so we'd like to use if for road trips.... but if I can't drive it, I'll be in charge of the music and GPS, which is lame.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:58:59 pm »
Her driving record is good.... Hmm.... If I switch her to TD, think they would allow me to be insured driving her car?

Her car is comfortable for her, so we'd like to use if for road trips.... but if I can't drive it, I'll be in charge of the music and GPS, which is lame.

Get a rental car for road trips and buy the insurance for it!  Problem solved!

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 12:02:53 am »
:) Yes, that would def. work....

I got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago. Do you think if I call them to add my wife's car they will re calculate my rate higher? I'm thinking it's a poking-a-sleeping-bear situation. I could be way off. Not sure if they can raise my rate just like that....

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:39 am »
Why wouldn't your own coverage through TD for non owned vehicles apply here?

Because they are married and registered to the same address.  "not at arm's length" applies in these instances.

Offline vwshawn

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2014, 12:04:15 am »
AP:

Because I've had o sign an exclusion agreement to not drive the wife's car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2014, 12:10:06 am »
:) Yes, that would def. work....

I got a speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago. Do you think if I call them to add my wife's car they will re calculate my rate higher? I'm thinking it's a poking-a-sleeping-bear situation. I could be way off. Not sure if they can raise my rate just like that....

So you got ANOTHER speeding ticket?  So that's 3 in 2 years?

FFS......

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2014, 12:13:48 am »
 Do you think if I call them to add my wife's car they will re calculate my rate higher?

If you and your wife enter into a JOINT policy both rates will be based on YOU.   It is not fair, it is not right, but that is the way the Insurance MAFIA has arranged it.  DONE DEAL. 

We Ontarians are facked.  My sister lives in KY, USA.  I live in rural Ontario.  Wife's 2012 loaded Camry Hybrid 2 x cost to insure than my sister's 2012 loaded V6 Camry.

Rationalize that!  You can't.  Ontario was once the greatest jurisdiction of all Canada/USA for auto insurance and driving.  Now it's at the very bottom.  Nothing can or will be done to change this.

Embrace it.  Sign up for Yoga.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:15:28 am by ArticSteve »