Author Topic: DeJardin denies claim because he changed his muffler and didn't tell them.  (Read 7004 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I think the real robbery is the $7200 / yr insurance on a BRZ.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.  If he is paying that type of insurance rates, I suspect that he has driven in such a way as to get to those rates in the first place - i.e. he had has accidents, significant tickets previously.
Wasn’t there a member here who recently bought a car for his son for like $2k, and if I’m not mistaken it’s registered in his dads name and insured under the family policy and it was like $1,700 per year and that wasn’t even full coverage.

This guy likely isn’t more than 2 years older, has the car in his name, it’s 15 times more expensive, is a 2 door RWD sports car, and would have full coverage.  So $7,500 was probably a decent rate, and as it turns out it was too low because he didn’t even drive it long enough to break it in before totalling it.

My son who is turning 19 shortly has had a 2015 BRZ under his name and pays $3600 a year.  $1K deductible, however, but $2MM liability - full collision.  He isn't on my policy either.
I get that but he likely has been driving for 3 years and you were probably smart and made him do driving school.  Plus this BRZ is 5-6 years newer, leased, and likely $15k more expensive.

I guarantee you that the driver in the article has had multiple infractions which have resulted in high insurance rates.  Should Dejardins still cover the claim?  Absolutely assuming the at fault as described in the article is factual.

Ontario has "no-fault" insurance, it doesn't matter who is at fault.   
His car should be covered if he paid for collision insurance because that's what it's for.
Mr Pickypants

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
We pay ~$1700 for my seventeen year old to be a part time driver on a 1992 Mustang that I paid $750 for.

My 19 year old pays $3400 or something crazy for his truck. He had a parking lot scrape. He did the right thing, left a note. Boom - $8000 damage on a Ford Escape. Bodyshop did well on that one.  ::)

Gosh I love being in Manitoba.  Or any province with public insurance.

Less happy when trying to insure a motorcycle.

A lot of people rail against ICBC here in BC, but overall, the stories with some of these profit driven private insurers scare me more. Seems like at any point they can increase rates significantly, deny coverage for silly reasons or drop you as a customer leaving you scrambling for coverage elsewhere.

BC just went to no-fault this month. My mom was curious what her upcoming renewal will cost on her Jetta. It is going from around $160 to $80 per month. This is with full coverages too...

ltruong

the three DDDs  Deny Delay Decline.   

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I think the real robbery is the $7200 / yr insurance on a BRZ.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.  If he is paying that type of insurance rates, I suspect that he has driven in such a way as to get to those rates in the first place - i.e. he had has accidents, significant tickets previously.
Wasn’t there a member here who recently bought a car for his son for like $2k, and if I’m not mistaken it’s registered in his dads name and insured under the family policy and it was like $1,700 per year and that wasn’t even full coverage.

This guy likely isn’t more than 2 years older, has the car in his name, it’s 15 times more expensive, is a 2 door RWD sports car, and would have full coverage.  So $7,500 was probably a decent rate, and as it turns out it was too low because he didn’t even drive it long enough to break it in before totalling it.

My son who is turning 19 shortly has had a 2015 BRZ under his name and pays $3600 a year.  $1K deductible, however, but $2MM liability - full collision.  He isn't on my policy either.
I get that but he likely has been driving for 3 years and you were probably smart and made him do driving school.  Plus this BRZ is 5-6 years newer, leased, and likely $15k more expensive.

I guarantee you that the driver in the article has had multiple infractions which have resulted in high insurance rates.  Should Dejardins still cover the claim?  Absolutely assuming the at fault as described in the article is factual.

Ontario has "no-fault" insurance, it doesn't matter who is at fault.   
His car should be covered if he paid for collision insurance because that's what it's for.

When I mention 'multiple infractions,' I am referring to traffic violations. i.e. speeding, stunting, hanging your ass out of a sunroof or is that under some sort of bizzare Ontario legislation.

Oh he could indeed drive like an a$$hat and have multiple charges, but he still paid for insurance and paid a lot.
In Ontario insurance companies can't deny selling you insurance, but what they do is broker you on through to Facility which is very pricey and the realm of DIU drivers and license losers.   I would think if Dejardin was denying his claim, he was still with them and not Facility.

Any Ontario insurance experts on here to chip in?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Yes , it getting crazy in Ontario
$1100 with taxes for the RX 350 as personal vehicle and the pick up is $1450 with taxes
We live in one of the cheapest ares of the province

After Brampton,$2700,  the top-list list rounds out with Mississauga ($2,372); Vaughan ($2,334); Richmond Hill ($2,286); Markham ($2,222); Toronto ($2,201); Ajax ($2,141); Pickering ($1,961); Whitby ($1,777); and Hamilton ($1,755). The estimated averages are calculated for a 35-year-old driver with a clean record in a 2017 Honda Civic.

You’d think more drivers equals more collisions, but a city’s population isn’t the sole factor. Larger cities that are still below the province’s average include London ($1,509); Windsor ($1,412); Kitchener ($1,341); and Ottawa ($1,213).

Want to pay even less? Among towns or cities with more than 15,000 residents, the least-expensive are Grimsby and Waterdown ($1,192); Sudbury ($1,165); Sarnia ($1,159); St. Thomas ($1,124); Cornwall, Petawawa, and Russell ($1,107); and Kingston, Napanee, Port Hope, Cobourg, and Brockville ($1,103).

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
A lot of people rail against ICBC here in BC, but overall, the stories with some of these profit driven private insurers scare me more. Seems like at any point they can increase rates significantly, deny coverage for silly reasons or drop you as a customer leaving you scrambling for coverage elsewhere.

BC just went to no-fault this month. My mom was curious what her upcoming renewal will cost on her Jetta. It is going from around $160 to $80 per month. This is with full coverages too...

The previous government drained ICBC financially dry (as conservative governments like to do to fund tax cuts for their friends) and hopefully that mess is reversed.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy