Author Topic: DeJardin denies claim because he changed his muffler and didn't tell them.  (Read 7003 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
https://globalnews.ca/news/7825120/vehicle-modifications-insurance-complications

Now that is what is called trying to weasel out of paying a claim.   Something to remember if you're with DeJardin
Mr Pickypants

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
https://globalnews.ca/news/7825120/vehicle-modifications-insurance-complications

Now that is what is called trying to weasel out of paying a claim.   Something to remember if you're with DeJardin

:censor: shysters.   >:(
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Oh Jesus I got to call my insurance company because I got the windows tinted and put weathertech floor liners in.  They might deny any claim.

Seriously though, I get that the insurance company would deny it if you modified it in such a way to make it unsafe, like jacking up your truck.  I could even see them denying the value of the exhaust upgrade, but the full thing.  I would be contacting a lawyer and forcing a judge to make the decision.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
first of all its not his car he is leasing it(the money goes to the leasing company)
second you did not mention that at the end they payed
third is it another Quebec bashing from Global!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
first of all its not his car he is leasing it(the money goes to the leasing company)

First of all, he's still responsible, or he wouldn't care.
Second, I said "trying to weasel out", they only paid once media got involved.
Third, WTF?  Quebec bashing?   This used to be State Farm until they were bought out, they used to try the same thing.

Fourth, is your last name Dejardin or something?   Do you think what they tried was fair, to deny a claim and find him at fault because the exhaust wasn't stock?

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL

Third, WTF?  Quebec bashing?   This used to be State Farm until they were bought out, they used to try the same thing.

Fourth, is your last name Dejardin or something?   Do you think what they tried was fair, to deny a claim and find him at fault because the exhaust wasn't stock?
and you sir you claim to have all the information to say he is not at fault in the accident
yes a modification on a car should be declared read the fine print

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)

and you sir you claim to have all the information to say he is not at fault in the accident
It says the driver was found at fault in the article, not that that should affect them denying the claim.  How can an exhaust affect the safety of a vehicle?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus

It says the driver was found at fault in the article, not that that should affect them denying the claim.  How can an exhaust affect the safety of a vehicle?
If anything it should become safer as you can hear the guy a mile away  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile

It says he wasn't charged by the police.   It also says the insurance company found him at fault, but they have their own laws.  It's also irrelevant who was at fault because it doesn't matter at all as he paid for that coverage, they didn't want to pay because of the exhaust.
I have plenty of experience dealing with insurance for modified cars, most people don't and haven't a clue that going to Speedy and getting a different muffler means your insurance will be voided and cancelled.  That is also one of the reasons Dejardins keeps losing business from me, every time I have to deal with them they lose another vehicle. (wife was with them for years, they don't seem to notice or care that they are losing our business)

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
I believe insurance companies now ask if the vehicle is modified in any way, and if you have IN ANY WAY, then you better tell them.  They're looking for any excuse to deny coverage.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Dejardins Has been around for a long time , the bought out Statefarm in Canada , and before that that bought the company I had my company insurance with
It is :censor: the insurance company wouldn’t anything until the media got involve

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Desjardins would deny any claim I made because I changed my taillights from red turn signals to amber turn signals.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
I believe insurance companies now ask if the vehicle is modified in any way, and if you have IN ANY WAY, then you better tell them.  They're looking for any excuse to deny coverage.

The problem is also that when you tell them you modified it, they drop you and now you have to go shopping.
People used to think they didn't want to pay out for the modifications, but no, they want to weed out the customers who modify their cars.

Funny story about State Farm/Dejardin, a guy in my auto club  had a 3-series BMW and State Farm insurance, they let him swap in an M3 drivetrain and didn't consider it a modification because it was all BMW parts.  But don't tint your windows, they'll drop you.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
This sounds like a pure and simple way to not have to pay out for a legitimate claim.

Only thing I can see is not paying for the upgraded exhaust system if it were damaged in a claim and needed to be replaced. Insurance would only pay to put car back to original condition, ie. stock exhaust system.

Interesting that they quickly reversed the decision to deny the claim after the media contacted them. I am no lawyer, but I am betting it would be questionable to have denied coverage should it had proceeded to court and a legal challenge by the owner.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Pretty scummy.  >:(

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I think the real robbery is the $7200 / yr insurance on a BRZ.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.  If he is paying that type of insurance rates, I suspect that he has driven in such a way as to get to those rates in the first place - i.e. he had has accidents, significant tickets previously.
Wasn’t there a member here who recently bought a car for his son for like $2k, and if I’m not mistaken it’s registered in his dads name and insured under the family policy and it was like $1,700 per year and that wasn’t even full coverage.

This guy likely isn’t more than 2 years older, has the car in his name, it’s 15 times more expensive, is a 2 door RWD sports car, and would have full coverage.  So $7,500 was probably a decent rate, and as it turns out it was too low because he didn’t even drive it long enough to break it in before totalling it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.  If he is paying that type of insurance rates, I suspect that he has driven in such a way as to get to those rates in the first place - i.e. he had has accidents, significant tickets previously.
Wasn’t there a member here who recently bought a car for his son for like $2k, and if I’m not mistaken it’s registered in his dads name and insured under the family policy and it was like $1,700 per year and that wasn’t even full coverage.

This guy likely isn’t more than 2 years older, has the car in his name, it’s 15 times more expensive, is a 2 door RWD sports car, and would have full coverage.  So $7,500 was probably a decent rate, and as it turns out it was too low because he didn’t even drive it long enough to break it in before totalling it.

My son who is turning 19 shortly has had a 2015 BRZ under his name and pays $3600 a year.  $1K deductible, however, but $2MM liability - full collision.  He isn't on my policy either.
I get that but he likely has been driving for 3 years and you were probably smart and made him do driving school.  Plus this BRZ is 5-6 years newer, leased, and likely $15k more expensive.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
We pay ~$1700 for my seventeen year old to be a part time driver on a 1992 Mustang that I paid $750 for.

My 19 year old pays $3400 or something crazy for his truck. He had a parking lot scrape. He did the right thing, left a note. Boom - $8000 damage on a Ford Escape. Bodyshop did well on that one.  ::)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
We pay ~$1700 for my seventeen year old to be a part time driver on a 1992 Mustang that I paid $750 for.

My 19 year old pays $3400 or something crazy for his truck. He had a parking lot scrape. He did the right thing, left a note. Boom - $8000 damage on a Ford Escape. Bodyshop did well on that one.  ::)

Gosh I love being in Manitoba.  Or any province with public insurance.

Less happy when trying to insure a motorcycle.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

My son who is turning 19 shortly has had a 2015 BRZ under his name and pays $3600 a year.  $1K deductible, however, but $2MM liability - full collision.  He isn't on my policy either.
I get that but he likely has been driving for 3 years and you were probably smart and made him do driving school.  Plus this BRZ is 5-6 years newer, leased, and likely $15k more expensive.

I guarantee you that the driver in the article has had multiple infractions which have resulted in high insurance rates.  Should Dejardins still cover the claim?  Absolutely assuming the at fault as described in the article is factual.
No question the insurance company should pay out but I also think it would be possible to have that rate without being in an accident prior and not have driving infractions.  But maybe so.