Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Toyota Prius PHEV  (Read 10472 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Toyota Prius PHEV
« on: November 26, 2014, 06:28:23 am »

Scrooge comes with a cord.
Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2015 Toyota Prius PHEV
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:55 am »
I agree with most of what Brendan says but I think he is being too hard on the lack of driving pleasure and too light on the fuel efficiency achievement.

The Prius handles twisties and a tight undulating road course amazingly well.  It is slightly ponderous around town and slightly strained on a continuous uphill but for people buying this car it is a near luxury, just fine handling and super efficient vehicle.

2.5 to 3.0 is a spectacular fuel efficiency range to play in and that is what Prius drivers do.   The challenge is to drive intelligently enough to drive down the numbers and be comfortable while doing it.  Paying less for gas and visiting the mechanic less often are two benefits for the long range thinker.

Those still obsessed with 0 to 100 numbers won't get this equation.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:12:01 am »
Nice concept, but 10 miles EV only on a charge??!! For about the same money, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Volt.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 09:53:20 am »
It is annoying that Toyota spent so much effort on H2 cars and listened so little to what ppl actually want to drive. All this Prius needs to be taken seriously is a larger battery pack, around twice the size. With such (8.8kWh to be exact) Audi's A3 e-tron manages a 50km all electric range and there is no shortage of demand. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the M.Y. 2016 Prii generation.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 10:10:42 am »
It's the US politics that are driving H2.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:01:09 am »
In fact, the only real excitement I’ve ever felt in one of these things is as a passenger in a taxicab driven by a gent who clearly missed his calling as a participant in Death Race 2000.
The days when Leo DiCaprio showed up to the Oscars in a Prius and South Park lampooned owners for being insufferably smug
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: God I love you, Brendan.  Why won't you love me back, like Jacob?  ;D

there’s also a strong element of cheapness here, and a pretty low-tech dashboard layout. The plastic surfaces feel hard and brittle, the greenish glow of the centre-mounted instrument panel is outdated
When we bought the Corolla, we contemplated a 2010 Prius (discounts were massive at the time), but though my dad loved it for its promised economical ownership, mother dearest felt that the inside was cheap sh!t and she immediately veto-ed its purchase.

I was surprised how 'well' (relatively speaking) it handled off-ramps and quick, fast turns.  It was planted.  Not sporty, but planted.  The usable interior space was immense, and fuel economy was without question.  Some things were stupid, like the beeping inside to let you know you're in reverse?  Da Fuk was Toyota thinking?  The centre-dashboard was also a killer.

...but above all else, every material inside was cheap and hard plastic.  At the price (something like a $6,000 premium over the Corolla), it just wasn't worth it, and we got the Corolla instead.

Which brings us to the pricing.

While Brendan is correct re: the $5k, that still takes the base model of the PHEV to ~$31k...or $11,000 more than the Corolla.  Ok, so in the City I average 9L/100km (the new one with the CVT is likely better), the payback would just never show up...and where there are other savings, or other intrinsic value-offers (I dunno, the liftback, or something), the economies just don't really fit.

...but if you compare the regular Prius to the PHEV, I would think the PHEV is the better one if the gov't is picking up most of the tab.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 12:50:08 pm »
Congrats Brendan, never read a more colourful article on the beigest of cars  :bow:

Amazing fuel numbers! A co-worker has a Prius-V and gets 5.5 out of it. Lately, I spent a week with a C-Max, and although I enjoyed many no-engine km, the end result was a 6.5 average.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:06:07 pm »
Plus, if we’re looking at rebate-eligible cars why not a Nissan Leaf then? Or the excellent electric version of the Kia Soul? Both provide enough range for the average Canadian consumer concerned about emissions.

Because you can not drive to Halifax, or Thunder Bay or Alantic city in a day in a Leaf or Soul  ::)

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 06:56:31 pm »
Right you are...For some insane, unthinking reason, George Bush et cabal thought hydrogen was a good idea.It might be, if their was some way to make the stuff available for use at anywhere near affordable prices....Maybe 50 years from now..but it doesn't seem like  anywhere in the foreseeable future...Jack

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:54:22 pm »
Right you are...For some insane, unthinking reason, George Bush et cabal thought hydrogen was a good idea.It might be, if their was some way to make the stuff available for use at anywhere near affordable prices....Maybe 50 years from now..but it doesn't seem like  anywhere in the foreseeable future...Jack

Didn't you read the hydrogen is free*  ;)

* it really is with the car's lease/purchase, but that is because they have no idea how to meter it at the pump  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:56:59 pm by EV Dan »

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 10:44:09 pm »
Not sure I agree with the degree of hatred of hard surfaces.  Especially if that is used to outweigh other more important aspects of a given car.  As long as the seats and armrests are soft and maybe the steering wheel isn't rock-hard, where else are you in contact with the thing?  Should hood release levers be padded?
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:43 am »
Too many auto journalists have convinced members of the general public to join their Dash-Strokers club.

Clearly every hard surface must be covered with a layer of crappy vinyl or foam crap that will peel and look terrible in 6 years.  Oh wait, no one keeps a car that long anymore...

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 09:54:39 am »
Too many auto journalists have convinced members of the general public to join their Dash-Strokers club.

Clearly every hard surface must be covered with a layer of crappy vinyl or foam crap that will peel and look terrible in 6 years.  Oh wait, no one keeps a car that long anymore...

hmm.  you are right.    I did join the dash-stroker club. and sometimes i think, what the heck for!?  i never really stroke the dash while the car's moving!!  only when i'm cleaning!!   However, only the SHITTTY implementation looks bad after few years.  (first gen 300 comes to mind).   my VW and bimmer both have soft dash/door panel, looks much more luxurious than harder plastics, even ones with good texture that hides the hardness well.

the dashes still look new.   

academically, i know it's not important..   but personally, i like the softer materials.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 11:08:02 am »

Look, I drive a Subaru too, and therefore care more about utility than interior quality. Even so, the Prius interior is miles behind most of the other hybrid offerings on the market (and it would be as it's a big aged). It's not just that it feels cheap, it looks cheap too. The refresh is on the way.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 04:30:46 pm »
I agree the Prius looks cheap inside, but it's not that bad.  Maybe I have low standards.  It was obviously designed for a price point, all the money went into the drivetrain.  Kind of like a WRX  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 04:43:39 pm »
I agree the Prius looks cheap inside, but it's not that bad.  Maybe I have low standards.  It was obviously designed for a price point, all the money went into the drivetrain.  Kind of like a WRX  ;D
FWIW, my parents thought the Prius looked cheaper inside than our Corolla...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »
I never thought the Prius' interior was that bad...I've been in a few and liked it.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 04:48:25 pm »
tried too hard to be distinct, but covered it all in solid plastic that made awful sounds when you touched it.  Why touch it, you ask?  Why not ;)?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 04:49:36 pm »
FWIW, my parents thought the Prius looked cheaper inside than our Corolla...

I've been in both and I believe the Prius' interior is MUCH better than that generation of the Corolla.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »
Toyota was making a statement with their veggy based plastic for the hard to touch surfaces .
The car is about reducing your carbon foot print