Author Topic: Which (newish) Jeep should I buy for $20-$30k?  (Read 13457 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
Which (newish) Jeep should I buy for $20-$30k?
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:36:35 am »
OK, so after running through all the possible options for my next vehicle, I'm 90% sure that my next vehicle will be a Jeep!  In the last two years, I've driven all the current models (including the new Compass) with the exception of the Wrangler and although I'm well aware of their shortcomings compared to the competition i.e. not the most powerful or economical, relatively expensive, a bit stingily equipped and perhaps not the best reliability record, they do have presence and character, feel extremely stable in all conditions and have a first-rate AWD system that allows some power oversteer in snowy conditions.  Our family car is a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan and although the build quality is a little sub-par it has been pretty reliable and the Jeeps that I have driven feel better built than that.  But which one should I go for?  Budget will be around $20-$30k.  I would like a few toys, so heated seats and steering wheel, backup camera, remote start, dual-zone climate control, possibly nav.  The fact that these are usually extra and don't come as standard on new vehicles, unlike the competition and that interest rates on finance/lease for Jeeps aren't very competitive dissuades me from buying new.

So:

1) Renegade?  I had a great time in one of these in the snow last winter, surprisingly spacious, felt as stable as the larger Jeeps but playful too when you wanted it to be.  A cheeky character that I quite like (a bit like my MINI) but I appreciate that not everyone will.  I would probably be looking at a North with a few toys or a Trailhawk.  The manual transmission is an interesting prospect but super rare and the 2.4 Tigershark engine is plenty adequate really.  That 75th Anniversary edition in black with bronze wheels, Smokey and the Bandit-style looks pretty cool too.

2) New Compass?  It looks smart (a bit like a mini Grand Cherokee) and more grown up than the Renegade but by the same token a bit less character too?  I think in terms of MSRP, this is probably the best value new Jeep.  A bit more space than the Renegade and despite having the same powertrain, felt a bit quicker, more refined and marginally more economical than the Renegade!  I've seen some nice ex-demonstrator Norths with the nav, backup camera and cold weather packs going for around $30k.  Not bad value.  The Limiteds with the black roofs look pretty cool too but $40k+ new is pushing it a bit, so I would need to wait for them to come down and I don't think the Trailhawk-spec suits the Compass/Grand Cherokee as much as the Renegade/Cherokee.

3) Cherokee?  Being the eldest of the newish models, I could pick up a 2014 for a bit less than the others.  It would have to be the V6 though, as I think the 2.4 would feel a bit limp in the heavier Cherokee and it only appeals to me in Trailhawk guise.  The orange one that I had on test looked pretty cool and had decent power but the fuel economy was full-size truck bad, the headlights were a bit weak and I think the Trailhawk mods possibly compromised its on-road ride and handling.

4) Wrangler?  Not driven one but I would want one with the Pentastar V6 and a few toys, so a Sahara or Rubicon Limited with the hard top.  The manual transmission would be my preference too, so it's not going to be cheap!  Very cool and iconic but probably not great on gas or a very refined highway vehicle.

5) Grand Cherokee?  OK, I could go back to 2011 to get one of these but I really want a 2014- for the improved interior and the 8-speed transmission.  With our other vehicle being a Grand Caravan, I don't really need a vehicle this big and excellent though the Pentastar V6 is, I have it in my van, so the Ecodiesel for the torque and fuel economy or the V8 because Hemi appeal to me much more.  Also, i'm not really interested in a Laredo, as I would want leather in my Grand Cherokee, so I would need to be looking at a Limited or Overland.

So, for my $20k-$30k budget, which would be the best newish Jeep to go for?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Which (newish) Jeep should I buy for $20-$30k?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:07 am »
1st Gen Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:06:43 am »
1st Gen Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8

What do you mean by 1st gen?  Are they in budget?  Certainly none of the recent ones that I have seen for sale are.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:52 am »
FWIW, I'm not a fan of any Jeep that isn't a Wrangler or a Grand Cherokee.  IF you are intent on buying one that is not those two, the Renegade gets my vote - but stay away from the Trailhawk since its on-road manners make it behave more like a trucklet than a small CUV.

See here for what I mean re: Trailhawk:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-crossovers-suvs/?all=1

Ninth Place: 2015 Jeep Renegade, Lesley Wimbush

I’m perhaps a little, shall we say “more intimately acquainted” with the Jeep Renegade than my colleagues on this exercise, having attended the vehicle’s launch in California’s Gabilan Mountains.

Suffice it to say, I was able to experience the Renegade in an environment more suitable to its skill set than the range of practical testing our comparo subjects go through.

I think we all were taken with the Renegade’s chunky, cartoonish styling. A bright blue, oversized Tonka toy, the Renegade’s every design cue is exaggerated – from the numerous “Easter eggs” to the X-shaped taillamps, like the eyes of deceased or, um, ‘dazed’ characters. It’s the puppy-dog mascot of the Jeep lineup.

Inside, the Renegade features all the requisite Jeep cues, the upright, chunky dash, grab handles and large dials. It’s rugged and chunky with lots of hard plastics, and at this level, features “paintball splashed” gauges. It’s an opinion-dividing environment that’s reflected in its mid-pack scoring for overall Interior Styling. In the ‘Anti’ camp, Noah: “The interior was similar to the 500X’s (I wonder why…), with a sea of black plain plastic and small screen. The screen, while housing UConnect (which I still have yet to fall in love with) is rather small, but it was very visible at all times.” On the ‘Pro’ side, Sabrina: “However the interior styling, I found, was a lot of fun. I found the interface appealing and the system was probably one of the easiest ones to navigate.”

But it earned top marks in Usability and was bested only by the loaded Tucson for Features and Content – thanks to the truly excellent UConnect infotainment system and powerful sound system.

The Renegade had the worst rating for ease of entry and was near the bottom for practicality and flexibility. That funky, rounded box shape produced inferior sight lines than some of the more conventional crossovers in our group, which no doubt contributed to its low scores for parking and ease of driving.

I liked the Renegade’s firm handling. It’s based on FCA’s new Global platform, which also underpins the 500X. It may be a bit harsh for some, but in this sort of vehicle it’s infinitely preferable to one that errs on the side of comfort and its resultant body roll. It was interesting to see that the Jeep scored higher in ride comfort than the 500X in terms of ride comfort. Perhaps it was given a psychological handicap due to the fact that as a purposeful off-roader, it’s not expected to provide a luxurious ride.

The 180 hp/175 lb-ft 2.4L Tigershark is not a particularly nice sounding engine, and although the less powerful turbocharged 1.4L has a better engine note, its lack of horsepower is more than offset by its 184 lb-ft –making it actually feel quicker. Unfortunately, that engine – and its six-speed gearbox were not available on this model. This brings me to the Renegade’s biggest fault: that nine-speed transmission. Functioning adequately most of the time, step on the throttle to merge or perform a passing maneuver, and the nine-speed occasionally hesitates, and sometimes results in an alarming lapse in power. Leaving Sport mode engaged all but alleviates this, but at the expense of fuel economy. And that ninth speed only comes into play on light throttle coasting on the highway. Only the HR-V scored lower for powertrain refinement.

The Renegade’s all-wheel-drive system is a big compensation for its other practicality drawbacks. Working on demand, it’s FWD biased during regular, everyday driving to conserve fuel, the reconnects the rear axle within milliseconds when it senses slippery conditions. I suspect that this capability that earned the Renegade a mid-pack ranking for value, despite its abysmal scores for price and fuel economy.

Fuel economy is an important consideration for subcompact crossover buyers, and unfortunately the Renegade and its platform brother Fiat 500X were at the very bottom. At $38,825, the Renegade was also the most expensive vehicle of the bunch – a jaw-dropping $7,375 more than the XV Crosstrek.

Needless to say, the Renegade is more purpose-driven than this assortment of little boxes and jelly beans, most of which strive to provide all-around utility in every area. Jonathan offers some consolation to our last-place finisher: “This Renegade, being the burly Trailhawk edition, had skid plates, practical off-roading ground clearance and extra software to manage the little box’s AWD over rough terrain. It’s the only one I would have been able to take through the streambed ditch I tackled with it, and it handled it like a champ, making full use of its approach and departure angles, if not really testing its low-range 4WD. However, the heaviest, thirstiest and most expensive in test is never a recipe for winning. It is a purpose-built tool in this trim and perhaps a more modest trim would have climbed the ranks a bit better, but gosh-darnit this was a lovable and endearing car that I wanted to spend more time with.”

Such differences in these very crucial areas strongly influenced the eventual outcome, with the niche-oriented Renegade coming in last.

Warranty:
3 years/60,000 km; 5 years/100,000 km powertrain; 3 years/unlimited distance corrosion perforation; 5 years/100,000 km roadside assistance
Pricing: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4×4
Base Price (Sport): $19,995
Base Price (Trailhawk): $30,995
Options: Trail Tow Group – $350; Premium Leather Group (dual-zone auto A/C, heated front seats, power driver’s seat, heated steering wheel, windshield wiper de-icer, remote start, keyless entry) – $1,895; Premium Navigation Group (Uconnect w/ 6.5” touchscreen, GPS navigation) – $1,100; Safety & Security Group (security alarm, blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic detection) – $795; “My Sky” power/removable roof system – $1,595; Black Hood Decal – $150; 9-speaker system w/ subwoofer – $400; back-up camera $450
Destination: $995
A/C Tax: $100
Price as Tested: $38,825
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:08:12 am by No-san »

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:19:48 pm »
FWIW, I'm not a fan of any Jeep that isn't a Wrangler or a Grand Cherokee.  IF you are intent on buying one that is not those two, the Renegade gets my vote - but stay away from the Trailhawk since its on-road manners make it behave more like a trucklet than a small CUV.

See here for what I mean re: Trailhawk:
http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-subcompact-crossovers-suvs/?all=1

Ninth Place: 2015 Jeep Renegade, Lesley Wimbush

I’m perhaps a little, shall we say “more intimately acquainted” with the Jeep Renegade than my colleagues on this exercise, having attended the vehicle’s launch in California’s Gabilan Mountains.

Suffice it to say, I was able to experience the Renegade in an environment more suitable to its skill set than the range of practical testing our comparo subjects go through.

I think we all were taken with the Renegade’s chunky, cartoonish styling. A bright blue, oversized Tonka toy, the Renegade’s every design cue is exaggerated – from the numerous “Easter eggs” to the X-shaped taillamps, like the eyes of deceased or, um, ‘dazed’ characters. It’s the puppy-dog mascot of the Jeep lineup.

Inside, the Renegade features all the requisite Jeep cues, the upright, chunky dash, grab handles and large dials. It’s rugged and chunky with lots of hard plastics, and at this level, features “paintball splashed” gauges. It’s an opinion-dividing environment that’s reflected in its mid-pack scoring for overall Interior Styling. In the ‘Anti’ camp, Noah: “The interior was similar to the 500X’s (I wonder why…), with a sea of black plain plastic and small screen. The screen, while housing UConnect (which I still have yet to fall in love with) is rather small, but it was very visible at all times.” On the ‘Pro’ side, Sabrina: “However the interior styling, I found, was a lot of fun. I found the interface appealing and the system was probably one of the easiest ones to navigate.”

But it earned top marks in Usability and was bested only by the loaded Tucson for Features and Content – thanks to the truly excellent UConnect infotainment system and powerful sound system.

The Renegade had the worst rating for ease of entry and was near the bottom for practicality and flexibility. That funky, rounded box shape produced inferior sight lines than some of the more conventional crossovers in our group, which no doubt contributed to its low scores for parking and ease of driving.

I liked the Renegade’s firm handling. It’s based on FCA’s new Global platform, which also underpins the 500X. It may be a bit harsh for some, but in this sort of vehicle it’s infinitely preferable to one that errs on the side of comfort and its resultant body roll. It was interesting to see that the Jeep scored higher in ride comfort than the 500X in terms of ride comfort. Perhaps it was given a psychological handicap due to the fact that as a purposeful off-roader, it’s not expected to provide a luxurious ride.

The 180 hp/175 lb-ft 2.4L Tigershark is not a particularly nice sounding engine, and although the less powerful turbocharged 1.4L has a better engine note, its lack of horsepower is more than offset by its 184 lb-ft –making it actually feel quicker. Unfortunately, that engine – and its six-speed gearbox were not available on this model. This brings me to the Renegade’s biggest fault: that nine-speed transmission. Functioning adequately most of the time, step on the throttle to merge or perform a passing maneuver, and the nine-speed occasionally hesitates, and sometimes results in an alarming lapse in power. Leaving Sport mode engaged all but alleviates this, but at the expense of fuel economy. And that ninth speed only comes into play on light throttle coasting on the highway. Only the HR-V scored lower for powertrain refinement.

The Renegade’s all-wheel-drive system is a big compensation for its other practicality drawbacks. Working on demand, it’s FWD biased during regular, everyday driving to conserve fuel, the reconnects the rear axle within milliseconds when it senses slippery conditions. I suspect that this capability that earned the Renegade a mid-pack ranking for value, despite its abysmal scores for price and fuel economy.

Fuel economy is an important consideration for subcompact crossover buyers, and unfortunately the Renegade and its platform brother Fiat 500X were at the very bottom. At $38,825, the Renegade was also the most expensive vehicle of the bunch – a jaw-dropping $7,375 more than the XV Crosstrek.

Needless to say, the Renegade is more purpose-driven than this assortment of little boxes and jelly beans, most of which strive to provide all-around utility in every area. Jonathan offers some consolation to our last-place finisher: “This Renegade, being the burly Trailhawk edition, had skid plates, practical off-roading ground clearance and extra software to manage the little box’s AWD over rough terrain. It’s the only one I would have been able to take through the streambed ditch I tackled with it, and it handled it like a champ, making full use of its approach and departure angles, if not really testing its low-range 4WD. However, the heaviest, thirstiest and most expensive in test is never a recipe for winning. It is a purpose-built tool in this trim and perhaps a more modest trim would have climbed the ranks a bit better, but gosh-darnit this was a lovable and endearing car that I wanted to spend more time with.”

Such differences in these very crucial areas strongly influenced the eventual outcome, with the niche-oriented Renegade coming in last.

Warranty:
3 years/60,000 km; 5 years/100,000 km powertrain; 3 years/unlimited distance corrosion perforation; 5 years/100,000 km roadside assistance
Pricing: 2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk 4×4
Base Price (Sport): $19,995
Base Price (Trailhawk): $30,995
Options: Trail Tow Group – $350; Premium Leather Group (dual-zone auto A/C, heated front seats, power driver’s seat, heated steering wheel, windshield wiper de-icer, remote start, keyless entry) – $1,895; Premium Navigation Group (Uconnect w/ 6.5” touchscreen, GPS navigation) – $1,100; Safety & Security Group (security alarm, blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic detection) – $795; “My Sky” power/removable roof system – $1,595; Black Hood Decal – $150; 9-speaker system w/ subwoofer – $400; back-up camera $450
Destination: $995
A/C Tax: $100
Price as Tested: $38,825

Thanks for that, I get what people are saying about the Wrangler and GC being the only "proper" Jeeps but in the context of my budget, they will be significantly older/higher mileage.

Yes, the other three are car-based and more crossovery but I think Jeep's AWD system still has the edge over the competition and I feel a lot more confident battling through deep snow than in say a Tucson/Sportage.  Both very impressive vehicles but the AWD is more there for traction I feel and the Tucson felt pretty skittish in a snow storm.  This may have had something to do with the small sidewall tires I guess, you still seem to get more sidewall on a Jeep.

I accept your point about the Trailhawk spec.  Looks cool on the Renegade/Cherokee in my opinion but adds weight and complexity that has a negative impact on performance, economy, handling and ride on the road in the interest of off-road performance, which in all honesty isn't going to get used that often, if at all! :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:30:21 pm »
I would say Wrangler or nothing. Its a 4 door, convertible, 4x4....where else are you going to get that?? Sure, an SRT8 GC would be cool, but convertible 4x4 for the win. Make sure the one you get has a 3.73 axle gears at the minimum or they will be vastly not as much fun. Unless you are actually planning to go offroad, I say take the Rubicon off your list, you do not need a twin locked, front axle disconnecting, rock railed rig to get around town, Sahara would be more than fine. I will even show you a product that makes the rear seat a true 3 seater instead of 2 people ok and one person in purgatory.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:40:37 pm »
Tooscoops has this one in stock:

https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/used/Jeep/2014-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-86ab9e130a0e0a6b137305211b369fb8.htm

2014, V6, 4x4, ~84,000km (a bit high...).  Asking $22,950. 

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »
Tooscoops has this one in stock:

https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/used/Jeep/2014-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee-86ab9e130a0e0a6b137305211b369fb8.htm

2014, V6, 4x4, ~84,000km (a bit high...).  Asking $22,950.

Meh, wait for at least a Hemi.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:29 pm »
https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/certified/Jeep/2016-Jeep-Cherokee-22827a340a0e0adf748d53f426308d71.htm

There is what i suggest. come buy it from me today please... heh.

20-30k you don't really want many of the wranglers you'll find in that range. grand cherokee, there are some... i just sold a 2014 laredo for 22900 with 80k. judging by the calls, there must not be too many like that out there though. most higher level ones will be a fair amount more coin.

renegade... finding used is tough. hell, finding new is tough. i own one and it's fine... but not all that jeepy. comparing it to tucsons and such though, i guess it's fine.

compass... i have a loaner 2017 sport 4x4 with like 4k on it... it's 4x4, heated seats/steering, remote start, auto... but everything else is pretty basic. have it on for 29900. give you an idea what you can actually get.

cherokee, while you said v6 (and yeah, i guess i would prefer it too), as long as you don't go 2014, you can get away with the 4 banger. in 14 and part of 15, the 9 speed was still a bit goofy... especially so with the 4 pot. later years, it seems to be fine though, so don't count out the 2.4 there, especially if it is what you are looking at in the other cars.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 12:53:29 pm »
Wrangler or Renegade - I like the chunky, blocky looks, both have character.  GC is nice as well.  The other two are MEH.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:56:37 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 12:55:49 pm »
FWIW, I'm not a fan of any Jeep that isn't a Wrangler or a Grand Cherokee...

Agreed.

My wife had a GC Limited V6 for a week while her car was getting repaired last month.   I'd never spent any time in one before that.   It's a pretty nice rig inside.   Not sure of your space requirements (as you already have a caravan), but I found it to be about the ideal size for a family of 4.   Not too massive, but not small either.

Only complaint was it felt a bit sluggish relative to her wagon.   I'd want the Hemi.   Don't think the it costs much more than a comparable V6 on the used market.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 01:00:22 pm »
I would say Wrangler or nothing. Its a 4 door, convertible, 4x4....where else are you going to get that?? Sure, an SRT8 GC would be cool, but convertible 4x4 for the win. Make sure the one you get has a 3.73 axle gears at the minimum or they will be vastly not as much fun. Unless you are actually planning to go offroad, I say take the Rubicon off your list, you do not need a twin locked, front axle disconnecting, rock railed rig to get around town, Sahara would be more than fine. I will even show you a product that makes the rear seat a true 3 seater instead of 2 people ok and one person in purgatory.

:iagree:

If you're going to buy a Jeep, get the real deal.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 01:22:02 pm »
i was using salesman tactics here guys... come on! heh... brit isn't a wrangler style driver. i was trying to make him knock it out of the running already...

i mean, the list of wants/must haves... remote start, dual climate, heated steering, back-up camera... that's 4 of 6 that aren't even AVAILABLE on a stick shift wrangler. plus mentioned in other comments, fuel economy? refinement? headlights? fit and finish? all weak points for a wrangler.

this would be the kind of shopper i get who wants me to explain why they should get a wrangler instead of the santa fe they are cross-shopping... if you need to be convinced to get a wrangler, you don't want a wrangler.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 01:23:24 pm »
https://www.grimsbychrysler.ca/certified/Jeep/2016-Jeep-Cherokee-22827a340a0e0adf748d53f426308d71.htm

There is what i suggest. come buy it from me today please... heh.

20-30k you don't really want many of the wranglers you'll find in that range. grand cherokee, there are some... i just sold a 2014 laredo for 22900 with 80k. judging by the calls, there must not be too many like that out there though. most higher level ones will be a fair amount more coin.

renegade... finding used is tough. hell, finding new is tough. i own one and it's fine... but not all that jeepy. comparing it to tucsons and such though, i guess it's fine.

compass... i have a loaner 2017 sport 4x4 with like 4k on it... it's 4x4, heated seats/steering, remote start, auto... but everything else is pretty basic. have it on for 29900. give you an idea what you can actually get.

cherokee, while you said v6 (and yeah, i guess i would prefer it too), as long as you don't go 2014, you can get away with the 4 banger. in 14 and part of 15, the 9 speed was still a bit goofy... especially so with the 4 pot. later years, it seems to be fine though, so don't count out the 2.4 there, especially if it is what you are looking at in the other cars.

Thanks for the advice.  I had pretty much come to the same conclusion.  Wranglers will be older/higher kms, Grand Cherokee is fabulous.  I love the styling, my BIL used to have a 2011 Laredo and it drove great, the only let down was the interior, which felt a little plain.  Limited/Overland interior feels much more special.  There was a 2015 Renegade North 4x4 available for $22k for a while fairly local to me but I wasn't keen on the red, so never went to see it.  The new Compass that I had on test for 24 hours was a North 4x4 on 18 in rims, nav and cold weather pack, backup camera, remote start, dual-zone climate.  They wanted $31k for it with about 7k on it.  Seemed like a pretty good deal.  Looking at new prices, Compass looks cheaper than Renegade spec-for-spec in a lot of cases, despite being bigger?  Large rebates on Renegade/Cherokee recently seems to have reversed that situation slightly though.

The Cherokee doesn't do much for me in terms of looks apart from the Trailhawk but it's a decent enough vehicle and the V6 motor is a USP compared to other vehicles in its class.  I still think that I would want the V6 but I was surprised by its thirst, especially with the 9-speed.  I've also driven a 200 V6 with the nine-speed and it was great on gas and our Grand Caravan does pretty well despite having the clunky old six-speed.  Was this just because it was a Trailhawk or are all V6 Cherokees juicy?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:27:33 pm by BritWRX »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:13 pm »
i was using salesman tactics here guys... come on! heh... brit isn't a wrangler style driver. i was trying to make him knock it out of the running already...

i mean, the list of wants/must haves... remote start, dual climate, heated steering, back-up camera... that's 4 of 6 that aren't even AVAILABLE on a stick shift wrangler. plus mentioned in other comments, fuel economy? refinement? headlights? fit and finish? all weak points for a wrangler.

this would be the kind of shopper i get who wants me to explain why they should get a wrangler instead of the santa fe they are cross-shopping... if you need to be convinced to get a wrangler, you don't want a wrangler.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:39 pm »

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »

Are you using reverse psychology on me now? :)  Must get Wrangler...