Author Topic: BC bans the operation of Level 3, 4, and 5 self-driving  (Read 339 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
BC bans the operation of Level 3, 4, and 5 self-driving
« on: April 17, 2024, 11:36:28 am »
British Columbia Bans All Cars Equipped With Level 3 Driving Assists.

https://driveteslacanada.ca/news/bc-bans-level-3-and-higher-autonomous-vehicles/#:~:text=As%20April%205%2C%202024%2C%20the%20Motor%20Vehicle%20Act,driving%20at%20these%20levels%20without%20the%20system%20engaged.

As April 5, 2024, the Motor Vehicle Act in BC bans the operation of Level 3, 4, and 5 self-driving vehicles on public roads unless authorized by the province. The ban even extends to driving a vehicle capable of autonomous driving at these levels without the system engaged.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: BC bans the operation of Level 3, 4, and 5 self-driving
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 11:43:03 am »
good

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 04:02:28 pm »
Doesn't affect Level 2 autonomous driving systems like Tesla FSD, GM Super Cruise, and Ford Blue Cruise.

Mercedes Benz and BMW's upcoming Level 3 autonomous driving systems will be banned, but right now they're only permitted in California and Nevada anyway.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 07:01:56 pm »
Doesn't affect Level 2 autonomous driving systems like Tesla FSD, GM Super Cruise, and Ford Blue Cruise.

Mercedes Benz and BMW's upcoming Level 3 autonomous driving systems will be banned, but right now they're only permitted in California and Nevada anyway.

This is what I'd call the future; it'll be everywhere before we know it. There are all sorts of characters out there. Personally, I find it a bit strange—I buy a car because I enjoy driving, not to be chauffeured around. That would be a snooze fest for me. Maybe if I were a thousand years old, I'd change my mind.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2024, 11:17:19 pm »
Motorcycles and old cars are the last refuge...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 06:45:54 am »

This is what I'd call the future; it'll be everywhere before we know it. There are all sorts of characters out there. Personally, I find it a bit strange—I buy a car because I enjoy driving, not to be chauffeured around. That would be a snooze fest for me. Maybe if I were a thousand years old, I'd change my mind.

IDK   While I enjoy driving there are times when I could see it being appealing. There's often not a lot enjoyable about driving long distance on large divided highways.  Getting these systems to the point of being able to kick back and watch a movie or read a book during an 800 km day wouldn't be all bad. There is also the potential for higher speeds/shorter intercity travel times if we ever reach the point where all vehicles are under control of an autonomous system and moving in unison.

Obviously futuristic and far more advanced than today's systems but someday who knows......

Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 07:29:24 am »

IDK   While I enjoy driving there are times when I could see it being appealing. There's often not a lot enjoyable about driving long distance on large divided highways.  Getting these systems to the point of being able to kick back and watch a movie or read a book during an 800 km day wouldn't be all bad. There is also the potential for higher speeds/shorter intercity travel times if we ever reach the point where all vehicles are under control of an autonomous system and moving in unison.

Obviously futuristic and far more advanced than today's systems but someday who knows......
I have well over 50k kms on my self driving unit. And use it precisely in the way you describe...the boring, mindless trips and slogs.

It's just another tool like cruise control to be used where appropriate.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 08:37:14 am »

I have well over 50k kms on my self driving unit. And use it precisely in the way you describe...the boring, mindless trips and slogs.

It's just another tool like cruise control to be used where appropriate.

I guess it's a question of when does it reach the point when ongoing human supervision is no longer considered necessary?  Airliners spend most of their time on autopilot but one pilot is always required in the seat, alert and monitoring the systems. 

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1159
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 09:03:05 am »
It's the same for Level 2 autonomous driving which requires to keep your hands on the wheel or monitor your eyes to make sure they stay on the road; and that works, at least in the Ford Blue cruise system.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 09:53:02 am »
There is also the potential for higher speeds/shorter intercity travel times if we ever reach the point where all vehicles are under control of an autonomous system and moving in unison

That would be huge during heavy traffic in the commute, having a few driving under the limit and some way over is always a giant PITA. Throw in those that insist on checking/talking on their phones and it's not a good recipe

Farm equipment has had 'autosteer' for 30 years now, and it's been adopted to the point where it's basically standard on anything new