Author Topic: Need to replace the Cayenne, what to get?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Need to replace the Cayenne, what to get?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2024, 09:04:57 am »
How about this....

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-61457942

Not sure if I have this right, but Cayennes are fairly cheap at 10+ years although they are fairly well regarded reliability wise.

That is basically what I did 10 years ago.

So what's that catch with these? Expensive maintenance? Known problems expensive to repair?

There are a few 2014 with just over 100K for low to mid $20Ks...

I've had good luck with mine, cost maybe $1k per year in repairs and maintenance.   The Hire has a few stories of customer Cayennes costing much, much, more for servicing, so YMMV.
Basically though, if I can save $5k by going with an Audi or BMW or Toyota, etc., I would go with that, I'm not that stuck on the brand.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2024, 09:25:01 am »
How about this....

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-61457942

Not sure if I have this right, but Cayennes are fairly cheap at 10+ years although they are fairly well regarded reliability wise.

That is basically what I did 10 years ago.

So what's that catch with these? Expensive maintenance? Known problems expensive to repair?

There are a few 2014 with just over 100K for low to mid $20Ks...

I've had good luck with mine, cost maybe $1k per year in repairs and maintenance.   The Hire has a few stories of customer Cayennes costing much, much, more for servicing, so YMMV.
Basically though, if I can save $5k by going with an Audi or BMW or Toyota, etc., I would go with that, I'm not that stuck on the brand.
Vmango's mom had 2 Cayennes.

Both of them dead reliable from what I recall.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2024, 07:20:29 am »
Considering the VW Touareg shared a platform with the Cayenne, wouldn’t one of those be a decent option?  I wouldn’t think it would be much more unreliable than a BMW or Audi, plus VWs can be cheaper to fix than both.  Just steer clear of the V10 TDI.   ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2024, 07:28:54 am »
Another consideration might be something that the guys at throttle house talked about as a daily driver https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jEw6qhSILr0&pp=ygUUdGhyb3R0bGUgaG91c2UgZXh0cmE%3D and that would be a Land Rover LR3 specifically the later versions so 2008-2009, comes with a V8 and is supposed to be one of the most reliable Land Rogers ever made, not that it’s a big bar to clear.  Should be easy to find one in your preferred price range.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2024, 10:08:18 am »
Another consideration might be something that the guys at throttle house talked about as a daily driver https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jEw6qhSILr0&pp=ygUUdGhyb3R0bGUgaG91c2UgZXh0cmE%3D and that would be a Land Rover LR3 specifically the later versions so 2008-2009, comes with a V8 and is supposed to be one of the most reliable Land Rogers ever made, not that it’s a big bar to clear.  Should be easy to find one in your preferred price range.

I'm looking and there are no LR3 models in the right years near me to look at.  There are a lot of Range Rovers in the right price range though.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2024, 10:09:30 am »
Considering the VW Touareg shared a platform with the Cayenne, wouldn’t one of those be a decent option?  I wouldn’t think it would be much more unreliable than a BMW or Audi, plus VWs can be cheaper to fix than both.  Just steer clear of the V10 TDI.   ;D

Those are on the list, always seem to be high mileage on them and no more plentiful than a Cayenne.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2024, 11:12:25 am »
Touareg V6 TDIs and Cayenne Diesels are dead reliable. Q7 TDIs are pretty good as well.

X5 Diesels are "okay", but DPF issues, NOX sensors, etc. are way harder to come by. Merc Bluetecs are a hard no.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2024, 08:03:34 pm »
Touareg V6 TDIs and Cayenne Diesels are dead reliable. Q7 TDIs are pretty good as well.

Hmmmm.   Didn't really want another white vehicle,  but it seems interesting and not too far away.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/audi/q7/madoc/ontario/5_61576137_20201105142615342/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=3_15_159&sprx=250&modalXS=1

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2024, 08:42:26 pm »

Hmmmm.   Didn't really want another white vehicle,  but it seems interesting and not too far away.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/audi/q7/madoc/ontario/5_61576137_20201105142615342/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=3_15_159&sprx=250&modalXS=1

Looks like a very nice "ute". The driver seat's leather is barely broken it. Inquire about the carfax and go test drive it!  :D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2024, 10:07:39 am »
Shoot me a note if you need a Carfax run.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2024, 10:12:07 am »
Dang, think this was the 35d X5 I was going to look at.  Ad is gone.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10317919/theft-bmw-test-drive-belleville-police/

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
  • Cars: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2024, 10:34:56 am »
I'm selling my Cayenne GTS this spring, but it'll cost you more than $20k. I've got some interest from a friend and BIL, but they're waffling.

It's been dead reliable. Had the transfer gear replaced under warranty (10 years) a couple years ago. Everything else has been routine oil changes, spark plugs. Needs brakes and tires done.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2024, 11:21:34 am »
I'm selling my Cayenne GTS this spring, but it'll cost you more than $20k. I've got some interest from a friend and BIL, but they're waffling.

It's been dead reliable. Had the transfer gear replaced under warranty (10 years) a couple years ago. Everything else has been routine oil changes, spark plugs. Needs brakes and tires done.

How many KMs? What coior inside and out?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2024, 11:26:26 am »

Good to hear some more positive accounts of Cayenne ownership.
I know I should probably be looking at newer and lower mileage examples, I'm just having a hard time justifying the money for the amount we actually use a SUV.   I want to drive our motorhome, Miata, and 911 more, not an SUV

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2024, 12:02:28 pm »

About 95,000km. Exterior colour is "Auburn" and interior leather is extended two-tone - "Cognac" and ??. The exterior colour is certainly a bit different, but it stands out nicely compared to the usual black, grey and white Cayennes. I still get positive comments to this day about the colour.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2024, 12:49:03 pm »

About 95,000km. Exterior colour is "Auburn" and interior leather is extended two-tone - "Cognac" and ??. The exterior colour is certainly a bit different, but it stands out nicely compared to the usual black, grey and white Cayennes. I still get positive comments to this day about the colour.

Neat colour. Any idea on what the transfer case replacement would have cost out of warranty? That is the type of thing the next owner will be facing.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2024, 12:51:10 pm »
Ya that's a beauty.  Love that colour.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • www.clownpenis.fart
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2024, 01:30:25 pm »

Neat colour. Any idea on what the transfer case replacement would have cost out of warranty? That is the type of thing the next owner will be facing.

I was told about $6-7k

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2024, 04:29:04 pm »

I was told about $6-7k

How is the rust situation? Do you have underside shots? You anywhere near The Hire?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2024, 05:08:59 pm »

I'd love one just like that....but I can't justify it.     That's pretty low mileage compared to most of that year.    I got mine with 92k on it, has 253k now.