Author Topic: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT. The nanny state?  (Read 3857 times)

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
Re: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT. The nanny state?
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2023, 12:12:40 am »
I remember some VW/Audi models from the mid-2000s had heated seats that were so strong they would catch the seat on fire.  :rofl2:

Edit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vw-jetta-driver-terrified-by-burning-seat-warmer-1.1354602

My '07 Touareg feels like this... they are seriously toasty when on the highest setting (level 5) and warm up significantly faster than the vehicle's actual heater (also a diesel, so takes a bit longer to warm up inside than a gasoline car).
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2023, 07:53:02 pm »
I remember some VW/Audi models from the mid-2000s had heated seats that were so strong they would catch the seat on fire.  :rofl2:

Edit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vw-jetta-driver-terrified-by-burning-seat-warmer-1.1354602

My '07 Touareg feels like this... they are seriously toasty when on the highest setting (level 5) and warm up significantly faster than the vehicle's actual heater (also a diesel, so takes a bit longer to warm up inside than a gasoline car).

Do you have a Webasto heater in it? Can't remember if it was an option or standard on the V10s in certain markets.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2023, 09:34:18 am »

Do you have a Webasto heater in it? Can't remember if it was an option or standard on the V10s in certain markets.

Yeah I do, but up until now I also forgot it exists.  :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2024, 10:08:17 am »
- Wish the hatch had a button that would both closed and lock the car.
- Hatch opens just barely high enough. I am 6ft and I can hit my head on it.

The CX-90 has a "close and lock" button that we really like. Hit the button, walk away while the hatch closes and the car locks down.

I do have to look into the manual to see if there's extra height to be had under the hatch. I fit near the window, but the door has a curve in it and I often bump my head (and swear  ;D) on the lower portion.

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2024, 12:26:04 pm »
Agree about the additional  "close and lock"  button. I find it very useful at times.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2024, 12:39:01 pm »
RX has a height setting function on that button. Handy as the stock setting is too high, went straight into the garage door when I first got it. Had wondered why the emblem on the back was scratched when we got it, guess the previous owner did the same thing

Prefer the light manual hatch on the Crosstrek, but the power hatch is sure useful for Uber drivers

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2024, 09:15:30 am »
Another minor update with more discoveries on my CX5.

The longer I own it the more I like the looks. I have even grown fond of the black plastic molding. On the white CX-5 I find it looks pretty good after all. Thank god for today's waxes that offer options that does not stain plastic. If I had to worry about masking off plastic just to wax it I would lose my mind.

The Bridgestone Blizzaks WS90 I installed on it are really great. They are pretty quiet. They do not feel sloppy or squishy at all. They really inspire confidence in the snow. Great winter driving. The extra ground clearance of the SUV is nice is deep snow as well. Very pleased.

Recently found out that the glove box is not lighted. Obviously if it took me 6 months to discover this it is not a huge issue. But I am surprised it is not lighted given Mazda's near luxury aspirations. Being a GT it is a pretty well equipped model so I would have expected it.

I am using the Mazda app on my phone for as long as it is free. There is not enough value in it for me to ever pay a monthly fee. I basically use it to remote start on really cold days. The irritating thing about it is there is no way to open a door without engine turning off. It drives me nuts. I just want to unlock it and grab a brush to clear snow and the bloody car shuts down. So I have to jump in seat and turn it back on. I have searched for a work around but it seems that is the way it is designed to function.

Another thing about app. I do not have TPMS monitors on my winter wheels. The app registers a Vehicle Issue alert every time I use the car. I had a ton of alerts. Thankfully I have an option to delete all vs deleting one by one.

The only issue I am having right now is a rumble or vibration when I put it in gear right after start up on cold days. If I start it and a few second later put it in reverse the engine seems to vibrate almost like it is running rough while I have my foot on the brake. As soon as I start moving it stops and does not happen again. So it goes away immediately as soon as car is moved even just out of driveway. I park on sloping driveway with nose of car facing down the slope. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I want to arrange to park in neighbor's flat driveway over night to see if same thing happens. As the roughness only occurs when placed in gear I think it is related to the transmission. Hopefully it is nothing.

Average 10.2 liters per 100 kms so far. We do a lot of short trips and a lot of city driving so that is not bad. The average will no doubt get a bit worse when I add on more winter fill ups as the last fill up was 12.2. With our driving habit I averaged only 10.0 with our Kia Forte. I compared to that it is pretty fantastic considering the size difference.

So that is the latest update. Still loving it!!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 09:20:45 am by Slow_lane »
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2024, 09:55:24 am »

The only issue I am having right now is a rumble or vibration when I put it in gear right after start up on cold days. If I start it and a few second later put it in reverse the engine seems to vibrate almost like it is running rough while I have my foot on the brake. As soon as I start moving it stops and does not happen again. So it goes away immediately as soon as car is moved even just out of driveway. I park on sloping driveway with nose of car facing down the slope. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I want to arrange to park in neighbor's flat driveway over night to see if same thing happens. As the roughness only occurs when placed in gear I think it is related to the transmission. Hopefully it is nothing.

I think this is normal.  Mine does it too.  I believe the issue is on very cold days, the transmission fluid is cold.  When you put the car in D or R, now the engine is trying to turn a cold transmission, and it's placing a load on an engine which is at idle, and basically lugging it.  Being a 4-cylinder, you're likely to notice that more than with, say, a V6 or a V8.  Once you start driving, and the revs of the engine rise, it's better able to handle the load from the cold transmission.  Ditto once the tranny fluid warms up just a little.

I've experienced the same phenomenon in other 4-cylinder cars with automatic transmissions. 

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2024, 02:10:43 pm »

I think this is normal.  Mine does it too.  I believe the issue is on very cold days, the transmission fluid is cold.  When you put the car in D or R, now the engine is trying to turn a cold transmission, and it's placing a load on an engine which is at idle, and basically lugging it.  Being a 4-cylinder, you're likely to notice that more than with, say, a V6 or a V8.  Once you start driving, and the revs of the engine rise, it's better able to handle the load from the cold transmission.  Ditto once the tranny fluid warms up just a little.

I've experienced the same phenomenon in other 4-cylinder cars with automatic transmissions.

Relieved to hear you have similar experience. Thanks for sharing that with me. I will just accept it for what it is.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2024, 06:58:37 pm »
The irritating thing about it is there is no way to open a door without engine turning off. It drives me nuts. I just want to unlock it and grab a brush to clear snow and the bloody car shuts down. So I have to jump in seat and turn it back on. I have searched for a work around but it seems that is the way it is designed to function.

I wonder if this is a theft safety thing? If somebody was to open the door while the car is warming up, it turns off and they can't drive away. Can't think of another reason to do it that way.

Have you tried it with the doors unlocked to see what happens?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2024, 07:13:23 pm »
The irritating thing about it is there is no way to open a door without engine turning off. It drives me nuts. I just want to unlock it and grab a brush to clear snow and the bloody car shuts down. So I have to jump in seat and turn it back on. I have searched for a work around but it seems that is the way it is designed to function.

I wonder if this is a theft safety thing? If somebody was to open the door while the car is warming up, it turns off and they can't drive away. Can't think of another reason to do it that way.

Have you tried it with the doors unlocked to see what happens?

No I have not tried unlocking doors before starting. I will give that a try. Another funny twist is the when using the starter the mirrors unfold (which usually indicates the car has been unlocked) but the doors remain locked.

As far as safety goes. You still need to have key fob to get into the car so it is fairly secure.

Either way it is not the end of the world but just very irritating. Just trying to share my experiences with CX-5.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2024, 07:40:12 pm »
The Crosstrek stays running when you open the door after a remote start, but you have to hit the starter button when inside (assuming with the fob present, never tried without) before you can drive away

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2024, 07:46:21 pm »

No, just crappy tech.  The remote start via the app is case in point. 

Acura:  Start vehicle via the fob.  It will tell you if the remote start is successful.  Shuts off after 15 minutes.  Will accept one additional 15 minute start.  Vehicle remains locked until you stick your hand into the door handle.  Door opens, engine still running.  If one attempts to move the vehicle without hitting the start button it shuts down without FOB present.

You get what you pay for.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2024, 08:18:15 am »

Acura:  Start vehicle via the fob.  It will tell you if the remote start is successful.  Shuts off after 15 minutes.  Will accept one additional 15 minute start.  Vehicle remains locked until you stick your hand into the door handle.  Door opens, engine still running.  If one attempts to move the vehicle without hitting the start button it shuts down without FOB present.

Subaru's remote start is also via an app and I love that the car keeps on runnin' when you open a door.

My daughter's CX-30 has the same issue noted above, grab a door for the snowbrush and the engine stops. Drives her nuts!

We have not used it with the CX-90 yet as it sleeps in the heated garage.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2024, 09:16:30 am »

Subaru's remote start is also via an app and I love that the car keeps on runnin' when you open a door.

My daughter's CX-30 has the same issue noted above, grab a door for the snowbrush and the engine stops. Drives her nuts!

Yeah. Remote starting inside a garage is not a good idea.  :rofl2:

I am not crazy about have a remote start system on a car stored inside. Like the aftermarket Viper system we have on our Fiat 500. Worried that some malfunction could possibly cause car to have unintended start. I do not lose sleep over it but it has crossed my mind.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2024, 09:26:00 am »

Yeah. Remote starting inside a garage is not a good idea.  :rofl2:

I am not crazy about have a remote start system on a car stored inside. Like the aftermarket Viper system we have on our Fiat 500. Worried that some malfunction could possibly cause car to have unintended start. I do not lose sleep over it but it has crossed my mind.

Remote start + lithium battery + plugged into the 240V = we live dangerously  ;D

Since it's a PHEV, once the "free trial" fades out on the crappy app, we can program the car to heat up the cabin while plugged in, which works well in the shoulder seasons when the car is outside and the TR6 claims the garage.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2024, 09:11:13 am »

This is normal for most brands with app-based remote starters now. Our IONIQ 5, LC500 and S 580 are all like this.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2024, 11:19:11 am »

This is normal for most brands with app-based remote starters now. Our IONIQ 5, LC500 and S 580 are all like this.

Not with Subaru. Engine keeps running when app-started and you open a door. Designed with winter in mind they are!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2024, 01:56:04 pm »
I would imagine designed so the thieving methhead doesn't abscond with your ride.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2024, 02:16:02 pm »

Not with Subaru. Engine keeps running when app-started and you open a door. Designed with winter in mind they are!

Hey, spend a little more, get a little more   :D

Being as you have to hit the starter button once inside before you can drive off, assume that is an anti theft thing linked to the fob being present