Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 857345 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +138/-122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 GTI; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #8100 on: December 13, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »

My old Volvo V70R used lug bolts as well. The theory behind them is there is less thread damage. Lazy tire installers "drag" the wheels off of conventional studs marring the threads. Many wheel changes degrades the threads to a point where safety is a concern (Volvo  ::)).. ;D

Yeah, tire shop royally buggered up the threads on our Xterra that way. I get that 31Ē LT tires are heavy, but you just need to be a little careful. Getting the wheels/tires on the Yukon XL is a bit of a :censor: without dragging across the studs, but still totally doable.

I donít mind the lug bolts on the GTI at all. If someone is really annoyed by it, you can get a slick little wheel hanger that threads into the hole and makes mounting a breeze. Like rrocketís pic above.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +114/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1986 Porsche 951, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude
« Reply #8101 on: December 13, 2017, 03:18:46 pm »
I suppose in theory that makes sense, but the lug bolts make positioning the wheel a PITA - couldn't imagine doing a changeover with >17" rims like that - far too heavy.

Thanks fellas, I do feel a bit better.
You will need to eat your wheaties to do 19's change over  :rofl2:

My JGC's summer alloy 20's are lighter than the winter 18" steelies... by A LOT!!
Past loves: 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 6-spd, 2006 Volvo V70 2.5T AWD, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR-600, 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5S 6-spd, 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4.7L 5-spd, 1998 Kawasaki ZX-6E, 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-spd, 1994 Mazda MX-6 5-spd, 1989 Suzuki GS-500, 1986 Mazda 323 Hatch 5-spd

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1302/-1119
    • View Profile
« Reply #8102 on: December 13, 2017, 03:25:38 pm »

My old Volvo V70R used lug bolts as well. The theory behind them is there is less thread damage. Lazy tire installers "drag" the wheels off of conventional studs marring the threads. Many wheel changes degrades the threads to a point where safety is a concern (Volvo  ::)).. ;D

Yeah, tire shop royally buggered up the threads on our Xterra that way. I get that 31Ē LT tires are heavy, but you just need to be a little careful. Getting the wheels/tires on the Yukon XL is a bit of a :censor: without dragging across the studs, but still totally doable.

I donít mind the lug bolts on the GTI at all. If someone is really annoyed by it, you can get a slick little wheel hanger that threads into the hole and makes mounting a breeze. Like rrocketís pic above.

I got the 33" mud tires on steelies off my old XJ with no thread damage, you would think on a dinky little car that wouldn't be an issue.
You gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +754/-2089
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
« Reply #8103 on: December 13, 2017, 03:37:16 pm »
Thanks for the offer, Ron - if it were my car, or if I were doing this frequently, I might have taken you up on the offer, but no need considering the Mazda and Fozzie both have the bolts in the hub (excuse my terminology if I still don't have this right).

Gurgie, know what?  I'm sick and tired of you comparing me to those strapping young lads!  They had a stellar upbringing with an awesome dad who taught them well/used them as child labour!  I just can't compete with that!

...nor their Biber-esque hairdo!

:-*

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +114/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1986 Porsche 951, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude
« Reply #8104 on: December 13, 2017, 03:44:19 pm »
Thanks for the offer, Ron - if it were my car, or if I were doing this frequently, I might have taken you up on the offer, but no need considering the Mazda and Fozzie both have the bolts in the hub (excuse my terminology if I still don't have this right).

Gurgie, know what?  I'm sick and tired of you comparing me to those strapping young lads!  They had a stellar upbringing with an awesome dad who taught them well/used them as child labour!  I just can't compete with that!

...nor their Biber-esque hairdo!

:-*

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

They're both taller than you as well... so you're right, not fair to compare   :stick: :rofl2:  :run:

Online johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +714/-844
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8105 on: December 13, 2017, 05:13:47 pm »
Mercedes includes a pilot stud in the car's tool kit.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-218
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 97 Alfa Romeo 155 V6, 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T. Past: 99 Mitsu Mirage RHD, Pontiac GP, R53 MINI, Mazda Protege, Audi A4 2.0T
« Reply #8106 on: December 13, 2017, 05:29:21 pm »
Mercedes includes a pilot stud in the car's tool kit.

as did Alfa [dont know about current models]
Objects in mirror are losing

If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Hi one Audi please.
Of course sir. What shape and how big?
*customer makes some hand gestures*
Excellent, there you are sir.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +127/-41
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Escalade, 2001 SLK320, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1997 Camaro SS 30th, 1996 Firebird, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB, 1972 MGB
« Reply #8107 on: December 13, 2017, 10:01:27 pm »
CT sells wheel hangers for this purpose: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/white-knight-wheel-hanger-1411197p.html#srp
(yes, the website is doing nothing to describe what this would be used for - noted)

And yes, my Mercedes came with one too - I've never used it because I didn't want to scratch the black paint on it  ::)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +115/-86
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '78 MB W-123 230, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, 2002 Renault Clio
« Reply #8108 on: December 13, 2017, 10:45:04 pm »
Between my father and me there have been 6 Volvos in our family, and they have all used lug-nuts rather than the Euro-style bolts.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Online johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +714/-844
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8109 on: December 13, 2017, 10:53:55 pm »
And yes, my Mercedes came with one too - I've never used it because I didn't want to scratch the black paint on it  ::)

:rofl2:

Offline BWII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +146/-235
    • View Profile
« Reply #8110 on: December 14, 2017, 08:17:51 am »
I think I am in for a world of hurt...car started making funny noises the other day.  Sounded like metal on metal.  First thought was "belts? Alternator bearing maybe?"   ???

So last night I remembered to put it on the ramps, and crawled underneath to listen.  And nope...that ching ching ching sound is not coming from the belt area.  I get under the transmission, and it sounds like the flywheel is hitting something loose internally.  If you took two round discs and one was bent just a little bit, rotated them in an engine running circular fashion, and they kept hitting each other, that's kind of what it sounds like.  Roh-roh...that doesn't sound cheap. ( :-[ did my mini hooning finally take its toll?  :'( I dread the outcome)

When I put it in gear, it stops...put it in neutral, and it's louder today than it was 2 days ago when it started.  Fack...there goes my permanent "Buy a Fusion Sport!" line...hope I can get in somewhere today...no one in my town so I have to drive it to work town to get it looked at anyway. Crap...right before Christmas too.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Escalade, 2001 SLK320, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1997 Camaro SS 30th, 1996 Firebird, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB, 1972 MGB
« Reply #8111 on: December 14, 2017, 11:25:47 am »
I think I am in for a world of hurt...car started making funny noises the other day.  Sounded like metal on metal.  First thought was "belts? Alternator bearing maybe?"   ???

So last night I remembered to put it on the ramps, and crawled underneath to listen.  And nope...that ching ching ching sound is not coming from the belt area.  I get under the transmission, and it sounds like the flywheel is hitting something loose internally.  If you took two round discs and one was bent just a little bit, rotated them in an engine running circular fashion, and they kept hitting each other, that's kind of what it sounds like.  Roh-roh...that doesn't sound cheap. ( :-[ did my mini hooning finally take its toll?  :'( I dread the outcome)

When I put it in gear, it stops...put it in neutral, and it's louder today than it was 2 days ago when it started.  Fack...there goes my permanent "Buy a Fusion Sport!" line...hope I can get in somewhere today...no one in my town so I have to drive it to work town to get it looked at anyway. Crap...right before Christmas too.

If it were an old RWD setup I'd suggest that the torque converter bolts were loose, which can produce a noise similar to what you're describing. I am not sure if that same is applicable to these new fangled FWD jobs...

Offline pi314

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +57/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #8112 on: December 14, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »
his is AWD IIRC

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8113 on: December 14, 2017, 08:11:09 pm »
his is AWD IIRC

I know. But the Fusion is a transverse mount driveline, the stuff I am most familiar working on is longitudinal...So I am not sure my diagnosis of loose torque converter bolts applies here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +197/-1035
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd ...... DD: 2016 Maxima SV
« Reply #8114 on: December 14, 2017, 09:27:20 pm »
Ignore the "sounds".  It's now in beater territory.  Embrace the freedom and drive it into the ground. 
After 9 long years the SACK of SH*T is finally gone.  150 Billion p*ssed away.  An economy gutted.  DEAD HEADS .... big congrats.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +31/-35
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline
« Reply #8115 on: December 14, 2017, 09:29:51 pm »
Between my father and me there have been 6 Volvos in our family, and they have all used lug-nuts rather than the Euro-style bolts.

The guys in Halifax wouldn't have known what to do with a bolt. I think it was a P2 thing.

Offline Tauri13

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-699
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Ford Focus RS, 2016 Ford Escape SE, 2017 Ford Escape Titanium
« Reply #8116 on: December 14, 2017, 10:11:10 pm »

Updates updates updates....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +149/-246
  • Professional Chewtoy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and Vehicles by age, newest first: BMW, Porsche, Suzuki, Subaru, Chevy, Suzuki, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, Suzuki
« Reply #8117 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:52 pm »
his is AWD IIRC

I know. But the Fusion is a transverse mount driveline, the stuff I am most familiar working on is longitudinal...So I am not sure my diagnosis of loose torque converter bolts applies here.

I think it still applies.
There should be a spot to tighten/check the bolts.

Offline BWII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +146/-235
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: December 15, 2017, 09:19:22 am »
Ignore the "sounds".  It's now in beater territory.  Embrace the freedom and drive it into the ground.

What! Beater!  >:( No way! It's mint! Well mostly. Found 3 rust bubbles between the driver side rear tire and the back door.  Same damn place old Taurus' rust first. 
But yeah, with almost 170,000 km on it no one would touch it.  People have no idea what "high" means anymore.  Maybe when they legalize MJ...maybe I can sell it then.  "It's not as high as you are!  ;D"

Updates updates updates....

Called the indie...seems he forgot to come pick it up yesterday.  Maybe today?   ::)

It's def transmission related.  When it's cold it's loud.  Put it in reverse, it stops instantly.  Neutral or park...chirpchirpchirp~...  When it's at full operating temp, nothing. No noises at all.  But, when you go from park to reverse there's a little metallic "ching!" between gears.  Into D nothing, just/mostly between P & R. 

his is AWD IIRC

I think it still applies.
There should be a spot to tighten/check the bolts.

Ever look under a new car?  I could barely see the belts...from top or bottom.  There's a 6" spot where you can see what might be the transmission.  Can't even tell what side of the engine the trans come out of.  Nothing under looks easy.  :P

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +754/-2089
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
« Reply #8119 on: December 15, 2017, 09:29:31 am »
Maybe it's a serpentine belt ;D