Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum  (Read 2143 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1234/-1048
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »
It's No-San...reason has no place here.

Well, I can lease a Camaro SS for $6-700 a month, but if someone is looking at a minivan, I doubt their wife would let them get a Camaro, right??
You gotta kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +724/-2053
  • Today was a good day, or so I keep telling myself
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 03:47:46 pm »
Lease rate is a ridiculous 5.99% though. But yeah, with the incentive you pay $618 a month instead of $1041.
Hmm, you can get an XC40 for between $600 and $700/month (USD) all-inclusive ;)
Why would you bring up xc40 and a USD lease  ???, that is just crazy
It was tongue-in-cheek.

Since I'm not a huge fan of the XC40, I'm suggesting that you can get so much more car for cheaper with the Pacifica.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-212
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '15 Jeep Renegade, '16 Wrangler Unlimited
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 04:07:17 pm »
some things lease well, others not. of my three hybrid sales thus far, one cash, one long term finance, and one lease. all bought the top of the line (a 17 platinum, and 2 18 limiteds... same options, different naming structure).

and solstice, to answer your 8 seater question, very VERY rarely. i am asked for a twelve seater as often.... or a 4x2 wrangler with a 4 pot... or a 6 cylinder truck... (the latter is surprising).

price wise, even with the grand caravan, i used to have to separate the CVP version with the others... a 20k van is insane... but it is what people associate with FCA people movers now. 30k is what a normal, more desirable grand caravan was worth... close to 40 for one with leather and all the doo-dads... sticker prices were close to pacifica pricing, but no one bought those vans at msrp... there were always incentives.

pacificas have minimal discounts... like 2k from the factory, and low rates. the hybrid, due to supply and demand (and that nice government cheque) has no incentive... no cash off, no low rates, and not even enough mark-up to give any kind of significant discount (like 500 is seriously pushing it).

is it a drastic change from previous? heck yeah. is it worth it... maybe.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline DKaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-270
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Sky 6MT, 2004 Toyota Sienna LE
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »
I have 8 in my van often enough that I'm thankful I have it. Mostly when family is in town or we're out of town. My minivan is a purpose third vehicle and it has to be able to do everything else my other vehicles can't.

Even if I only have 5 in the van, it's nice being able to seat 5 in the front and middle row and still have over 2,600 litres of storage available in the back. It's an oversized wagon.

Depending on the van and layout.  The 2nd row is often tighter than the 3rd row, to allow access to the 3rd row.  Fold/Remove the 2nd row, and have 3 sit in the 3rd row.  A little distance is always nice!  Since we are 4, plus grandparents from time to time, 6 is ideal.  But the bench in the lower trim GC is crap.  I would rather have the seats from a base model Odyssey in there.

In your Entourage maybe? My Sienna has a generous 67.5" of hip room in the second row which very comfortably seats three average size adults comfortably vs. 51.8" in the third row which is similar to my Mazda 3 and is a squeeze for three average size adults. Shoulder room is pretty much the same for both rows
(64" second, 61" third) but the extra hip room in the second row allows adults to at least have room between hips. Plus with second row seats slid all the way back, there's at least full size car like leg room.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-212
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '15 Jeep Renegade, '16 Wrangler Unlimited
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »
cvp vans are just 2 seater benches in the second row... no separations for the people, or for seatbacks, etc. you used to be able to put the back row into the second, but not with the advent of stow n go.

Offline DKaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »
I've seen people make 8 seater Caravans and Grand Caravans in the egg shaped gen.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1234/-1048
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »
I've seen people make 8 seater Caravans and Grand Caravans in the egg shaped gen.

Two 3 seater benches?? Do they just snap into the mounts in the middle?? How does one get into the very back??

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +922/-2295
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »
How does one get into the very back??

If you're lucky, in a body bag.  Because it would be torture sitting with 7 other people in that POS..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +108/-140
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
How does one get into the very back??

If you're lucky, in a body bag.  Because it would be torture sitting with 7 other people in that POS..

It's probably torture sitting with 7 other people in almost any other vehicle.

But still.   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline AP

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +159/-122
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 06:20:14 pm »
Another thing to consider is that the Pacifica Hybrid qualifies for a green plate.  That enables access to the HOV lanes even with a single occupant.  Depending upon where you live, that is either meaningless or definitely worth something.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, business vehicle, 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2017, 08:13:14 pm »
I have 8 in my van often enough that I'm thankful I have it. Mostly when family is in town or we're out of town. My minivan is a purpose third vehicle and it has to be able to do everything else my other vehicles can't.

Even if I only have 5 in the van, it's nice being able to seat 5 in the front and middle row and still have over 2,600 litres of storage available in the back. It's an oversized wagon.

Depending on the van and layout.  The 2nd row is often tighter than the 3rd row, to allow access to the 3rd row.  Fold/Remove the 2nd row, and have 3 sit in the 3rd row.  A little distance is always nice!  Since we are 4, plus grandparents from time to time, 6 is ideal.  But the bench in the lower trim GC is crap.  I would rather have the seats from a base model Odyssey in there.

In your Entourage maybe? My Sienna has a generous 67.5" of hip room in the second row which very comfortably seats three average size adults comfortably vs. 51.8" in the third row which is similar to my Mazda 3 and is a squeeze for three average size adults. Shoulder room is pretty much the same for both rows
(64" second, 61" third) but the extra hip room in the second row allows adults to at least have room between hips. Plus with second row seats slid all the way back, there's at least full size car like leg room.

Actually I was referring to how the 2nd row bench is setup in our GC,  It's shortened on the passenger side, so you have easy access to the 3rd row.  If they were captain chairs like the Odyssey I had, or the Entourage, I would prefer that.  Especially since the captain chairs move slide and recline.  Where as the 2nd row bench doesn't slide. 

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +50/-193
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 BMW 325i; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2017, 09:55:42 pm »
...but it is more feature-rich, newer, and relevant.

...and then when they're offered thousands off MSRP, vs $800 off a Sienna (or $800 OVER MSRP from silly Honda :P - kidding!), the Pacifica isn't such a bad choice.
Objectively, yes.

But when I think of the typical minivan-buying parents, they're not pouring through the brochure or researching in-depth. They're likely to think either a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna first, and then only consider the FCA products if its much cheaper than the aforementioned frontrunners.

And that's just the petrol versions of the Pacifica. At least in my not-so-wealthy neck of the woods, one rarely sees any top-trim minivans regardless what marque it is. So this Hybrid version is aiming at a market that doesn't really exist.

Wait, is this déjà vu? The original Pacifica crossover was a failure cuz it was too expensive for its market...... ::)
ø cons: 325i: Yamaha R3

Offline greengs

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-50
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Toyota Tacoma, 2012 Honda Odyssey, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2017, 11:01:01 am »
Because electrified magic. [Or just “electric motor”? –Ed.]
um, aren't you the editor?  :stick: ;D

My brother's Sienna XLE AWD came to about $50k all-in -- not a loaded model.  These vans are expensive.

A Highlander XLE AWD is around $53k all in with Ontario taxes.  I think vans are priced very well compared to the CUVs most people chose over them. 

I do think that most vehicles in Canada these days are getting to be too expensive in general though. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:02 am »
Because electrified magic. [Or just “electric motor”? –Ed.]
um, aren't you the editor?  :stick: ;D

My brother's Sienna XLE AWD came to about $50k all-in -- not a loaded model.  These vans are expensive.

A Highlander XLE AWD is around $53k all in with Ontario taxes.  I think vans are priced very well compared to the CUVs most people chose over them. 

I do think that most vehicles in Canada these days are getting to be too expensive in general though.

$50k is a quarter the value of my house.  Which I'm paying off over 25 years.  If I were to buy a $50k vehicle (after taxes) and pay it off over 6 years, I'd basically have another Mortgage payment.  No Thank You!!!!

It's CRAZY that mainstream family transportation vehicles cost this much.   This is probably why the cheaper Grand Caravans were so popular.  Normal people with normal families could get a vehicle large enough for their families, at the same price as a well equipped compact car.

As it is, my 5 year old Grand Caravan was worth only 6% of the worth of my house when I bought it.  I find that ratio a LOT easier to manage.  ALSO, considering I'm in the median range (low end) of earnings for Canadian families, WHO the hell is buying all these expensive vehicles?  And HOW?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:03:39 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline DKaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2017, 12:57:52 pm »
People who think they're the top 10%.

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2017, 01:32:49 pm »
WHO the hell is buying all these expensive vehicles?  And HOW?
It's really not so unfathomable that the majority of the population takes advantage of financing measures that allow one to own something for a reasonable monthly fee rather than a single expenditure.

Who are these people?  You're questioning where wealth comes from?  Wrong question:

"How are these people enabled to 'own' such expensive vehicles with young families?"

Financing, and potentially poor choices.  That's how.

Offline greengs

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2017, 01:41:57 pm »
Depends what part of country you live in I guess.  House prices and incomes can vary.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:43:29 pm by greengs »

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:39 pm »
Good job, SirO!

...but Shane pretty much kicks your as$.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:05 pm »
What's a 'reasonable' monthly fee?  I certainly don't consider another mortgage worth of monthly payment reasonable.

I mean, if I earned $200k per year, and my monthly mortgage payment was $4000/month, then $1000 for a car isn't unreasonable.  But when my monthly mortgage payment is $1000, then $900 for a car payment seems pretty ridiculous.

Offline greengs

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2017, 02:16:02 pm »
What's a 'reasonable' monthly fee?  I certainly don't consider another mortgage worth of monthly payment reasonable.

I mean, if I earned $200k per year, and my monthly mortgage payment was $4000/month, then $1000 for a car isn't unreasonable.  But when my monthly mortgage payment is $1000, then $900 for a car payment seems pretty ridiculous.

I personally don't like any car payment that's more than 1/4 of my mortgage payment.