Author Topic: Three years and 80k with a 2015 GTI  (Read 1219 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +167/-248
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Mini Clubman JCW, 2017 Mini Cooper
Re: Three years and 80k with a 2015 GTI
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 10:21:25 am »
Geez that thing had a higher residual than my truck!! (mind you my lease was 4 yrs - but still...was the GTI $48 new?)

I guess that's a  :rofl: on me, eh?  :P

About $36k new.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, 2016 VW Golf R
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 01:06:49 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with the GTI and that it was rather trouble free.  The gearing is definitely different in my Golf R so maybe if your GTI had that you'd find it a bit more sporty.  Really impressed with the fuel economy you got out of it.  I know you're a Mini fan so I can understand why your new JCW was a good replacement for your GTI.  Here's hoping you have the same luck with the Mini that you had with the GTI.

Was their an admin fee when you leased your GTI?  If yes, why would their be another one at buy out?  Seems like double dipping.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:12 pm »
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time with the GTI and that it was rather trouble free.  The gearing is definitely different in my Golf R so maybe if your GTI had that you'd find it a bit more sporty.  Really impressed with the fuel economy you got out of it.  I know you're a Mini fan so I can understand why your new JCW was a good replacement for your GTI.  Here's hoping you have the same luck with the Mini that you had with the GTI.

Was their an admin fee when you leased your GTI?  If yes, why would their be another one at buy out?  Seems like double dipping.

There was. There's an admin fee when buying out the lease because it's done through your local dealer rather than directly through VW Financial.

Offline No-san

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +725/-2054
  • Today was a good day, or so I keep telling myself
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Fozzie XT; '10 Mazda 3
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:22 pm »
I will also admit that the GTI is a touch boring. It's just so refined. I can appreciate that it's hard to strike a balance between making a quiet, comfortable car that at the same time is fun to drive and has a lot of personality.
I've only ever driven one - in Edmonton, my buddy's 2015 GTI with the DSG.  It was quick, it was playful, and it was a great car.

...but it left me a bit cold for exactly the reason you allude to above.  That's not to say that it's a bad car at all - as I said, it's a great car.  ...but being so well-refined, it just makes everything seem too easy.

Not terrible criticism  :rofl2:

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +88/-68
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 01:25:50 pm »
Great write-up! Glad to read  the GTI was such a positive experience.

Slightly O/T and apologies if you have mentioned this previously in your description of your Mini JCW:  I'd be interested to hear how your GTI compared, handling and roadholding-wise, to your AWD Mini. I'm looking for my next car and have been wondering if the GTI's [extremely well-sorted] FWD chassis would provide nearly the same high-speed surefootedness, specifically on curvy and frequently wet/snowy roads (with proper tires), as a comparably sporty AWD car. (of course the Golf R would make the most sense, but I'm tempted by the lower price (and sunroof) of the GTI.)

Offline G.Bombay

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jetta TDI , 2013 SantaFe, 2008 KLR 650
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 07:43:11 pm »
Thanks for the review, I have always had a soft spot for the GTI but it has always been slightly above my price range. I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep my TDI or have it bought back but the new base 5 door GTI with the 1.5 loyalty rate reduction can lease monthly for around $365 right now.  Very tempting.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, business vehicle, 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 08:42:27 pm »
Thanks for the review, I have always had a soft spot for the GTI but it has always been slightly above my price range. I still haven't decided if I'm going to keep my TDI or have it bought back but the new base 5 door GTI with the 1.5 loyalty rate reduction can lease monthly for around $365 right now.  Very tempting.

Glad to hear the good feedback from the GTI.  I would be more interested in a 6 year, 160k review myself.  I am in new territory with the 6 and GC since I have had them since new.  41k with the 6 at 3 years, and 7k with the GC at 8 months with no problems with either of them.  Just oil changes and filters.  But I won't have these cars for long, I don't think anyway. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:01:51 am »
Slightly O/T and apologies if you have mentioned this previously in your description of your Mini JCW:  I'd be interested to hear how your GTI compared, handling and roadholding-wise, to your AWD Mini. I'm looking for my next car and have been wondering if the GTI's [extremely well-sorted] FWD chassis would provide nearly the same high-speed surefootedness, specifically on curvy and frequently wet/snowy roads (with proper tires), as a comparably sporty AWD car. (of course the Golf R would make the most sense, but I'm tempted by the lower price (and sunroof) of the GTI.)

I never felt that the GTI was lacking in that department. The JCW seems to have more outright grip in the dry but it also has better tires (exact same tire size). With good winter tires the GTI was very surefooted in the snow. On more than a few occasions I plowed through relatively deep snow on my road (and on my 100 metre driveway) without issues.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +75/-110
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »
Nice wrap-up!

This is one I would have loved to hold on to for longer than a week...

http://www.autotrader.ca/expert/20170531/test-drive-2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-autobahn/

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online carcrazed

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-86
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 MDX Elite; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 12:58:11 pm »
Thanks for the write-up! It's good to hear that someone had a relatively trouble-free FGC experience as I'm thinking of going to the dark side for my next car -- it'll definitely be a lease, though.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +88/-68
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 02:40:23 pm »

I never felt that the GTI was lacking in that department. The JCW seems to have more outright grip in the dry but it also has better tires (exact same tire size). With good winter tires the GTI was very surefooted in the snow. On more than a few occasions I plowed through relatively deep snow on my road (and on my 100 metre driveway) without issues.

Great to hear - thanks  :)