Author Topic: Second Opinion: 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Second Opinion: 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:03:36 am »

Choosing the standard manual six-speed transmission saves money and gas, and adds 'a bit of driving fun.'

Read More...

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
Re: Second Opinion: 2012 Kia Rio5 LX+
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 08:07:30 am »
Sounds like the manual is the way to go for this vehile.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:01:08 am »
It sure was the way to go, in our case. Since the "sporty" SX trim is only available with an automatic, for some reason, we stepped one down to the EX model with the UVO touch-screen system. As mentioned in the article, skipping the automatic saves $1,300, which after 15% HST in Nova Scotia is almost $1,500 that you get to keep in your pocket.

Per my comment in the other thread, the manual has returned decent fuel economy, and having to shift lends a needed fun factor to the car. It handles competently enough, but the lack of steering feel is what I really notice on a twisty road. Working the shifter and clutch helps keep it interesting.

Unlike the reviewer, I don't think the gears are particularly well-spaced. The lower ones seem too far apart and the upper ones too close together. There's no "ECO" mode for the transmission, of course, but there is an upshift indicator in the speedo that has you in sixth before 70 km/h, if you follow its advice. The clutch is indeed light - almost too light - with a take-up point that took some practice to get a feel for. And I've been driving manual for 20 years.

To be fair, I'm probably a little picky, considering my previous manual vehicle was a Mini Cooper S (sadly, the lease ended and we wanted something we could buy with cash this time, hence the Rio.) No regrets in passing on the automatic, however. We saved some dough and got a car that's more engaging to drive.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
i wanted an automatic, so i didn't care the SX only came with it...our ET is a stick, but i am somewhat sick of shifting gears in the city driving all the time (yea, yea, i'm getting old).

i noticed this comment:

"Cruising down the highway in top gear, the engine turns over a comfortable 2,600 rpm at a steady 100 km/h."

at 100km/hr in the automatic, the RPMs are about 2200ish, which is nice...i would have thought the two would have been much closer together.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:20 pm »
they should merger this threads with the other one

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »
I want to put in my two cents...

While most automatic these days have been geared more towards fuel efficiency and can likely achieve better fuel efficiency, many automatic drivers have a general disconnect with their vehicles. Power is as simple as giving it gas and there is less of a comfort consequence of going full throttle thanks to the smoothness of torque converters and dual clutch transmissions. With a full manual transmission there is that jerk if I go from 100% throttle to pushing the clutch in, not a problem if I drive alone but I don't like seeing my passengers jerk forward. Therefore, automatic drivers can easily use more gas than they want to. The best way to accelerate from a stop is to be at 80% throttle give or take and the lowest RPMs possible. I hardly shift above 2,500 RPM unless I need to.

Drivers truly concerned about fuel efficiency should get a ScanGauge or UltraGauge and find their vehicle's sweet point, whether you drive automatic or manual. You're not going to win races by driving like an EPA tester, but you're going to save gas. Who cares if you lag behind all the other drivers, you'll just catch up with them at the next light.

Final note, I test drove a 2012 Elantra and had no problem achieving 7L/100km on a 10km test drive loop.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:44:02 pm by DKaz »