Author Topic: Ford transmissions  (Read 1960 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Ford transmissions
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:23:20 pm »
Why would the manufacturer not try and fix the issue before being ordered by courts? So disappointed to see the complete disregard towards customers. This is a well known issues since 2011 and Ford doesn't give a fack.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ford-transmission-fiesta-focus-class-action-lawsuit-1.4243571

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: Ford transmissions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:31 pm »
Good thing you drive a car with a manual...and not a Ford.  ;) I'd never have bought a Fiesta with a PS.  Stick, or nothing.  Same with Focus.  Too many unknowns with all this new fangled tacknowledgee.  Straight up regular AT or nothing. (unless you can get a manual, of course, because)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:30:45 pm »
"You're the only customer that's ever had this problem."  Said by:

Subaru dealers to owners with leaking head gaskets

BMW to owners with self-destructing cooling systems

Chrysler owners with exploding transmissions

Chrysler owners with failing paint.

Porsche owners with imploding engines due to IMS

Mercedes owners with failing first gen 5-speed transmissions

And on and on...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:36 pm »
"You're the only customer that's ever had this problem."  Said by:

Subaru dealers to owners with leaking head gaskets

BMW to owners with self-destructing cooling systems

Chrysler owners with exploding transmissions

Chrysler owners with failing paint.

Porsche owners with imploding engines due to IMS

Mercedes owners with failing first gen 5-speed transmissions

And on and on...

And everyone who has ever had a problem with anything ever.

It's the first line of defence.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:57 pm »
Why would the manufacturer not try and fix the issue before being ordered by courts? So disappointed to see the complete disregard towards customers. This is a well known issues since 2011 and Ford doesn't give a fack.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/ford-transmission-fiesta-focus-class-action-lawsuit-1.4243571

Because they can't fix it.  Class action settlement is by far the least expensive option.  It's the "Safety" recalls that sting the most.  Moreover, consumers need tot exercise some due diligence when buying.  Universally known that the Focus has always been POS so I find these personal interest stories amusing.  Like the lady in the article, most affected owners end up with another Ford.  :rofl2: 

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 03:53:20 pm »
I wonder how the resale values of these cars are impacted. They'd be worth next to nothing for me.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:37 pm »
The obvious and correct ( if not cheap) would have been for Ford to contract with VW to fit a DSG into the Ford casing...or some casing that would fit the Fiesta/Focus.   Or I suppose buy a few Polos and Golfs and then reverse engineer the DSG...but that might cost a lot in lawyers fees.
  Some people would still whine that a DSG is not as smooth as a old 3 speed GM automatic with a big old V8 in front of it  but those people are old and will die off soon!

One of the reasons the Ford transmission is not as good as the DSG is because they cheaped out and used a dry clutch...probably because it would also mean that fluid changes would be cheap ( I don't know that)   The DSG with its wet clutches and fancy weird lubricant  is more expensive to own for sure.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:37:12 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »
All I see is opportunities to buy cheap, low mileage Focusi to manual swap and turn into auto-xers, rally-xers and such  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:01:27 pm »
The obvious and correct ( if not cheap) would have been for Ford to contract with VW to fit a DSG into the Ford casing...or some casing that would fit the Fiesta/Focus.   Or I suppose buy a few Polos and Golfs and then reverse engineer the DSG...but that might cost a lot in lawyers fees.
  Some people would still whine that a DSG is not as smooth as a old 3 speed GM automatic with a big old V8 in front of it  but those people are old and will die off soon!

One of the reasons the Ford transmission is not as good as the DSG is because they cheaped out and used a dry clutch...probably because it would also mean that fluid changes would be cheap ( I don't know that)   The DSG with its wet clutches and fancy weird lubricant  is more expensive to own for sure.

Nope...the easiest would have been to use the 6-Speed auto and be done with it!

I dislike DSGs in general, all of them seem weird at speed in my opinion.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 08:52:17 pm »
DSG is not as smooth as a old 3 speed GM automatic with a big old V8 in front of it 

Until 1971/72 GM's power glide was only a 2 speed.  Had one  :rofl2:   Just thought I'd throw that in for historical purposes.  ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 10:23:53 am »

Nope...the easiest would have been to use the 6-Speed auto and be done with it!

I dislike DSGs in general, all of them seem weird at speed in my opinion.
As someone who drove manual cars for 40 years and then transitioned to DSG, I thought it was the best automatic transmission I had ever encountered. Now I have the  Q5 with the ZF 8 speed auto I only put the DSG as tie first transmission.
Most people find the DSG weird or jerky at low speeds not at high speeds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD