Author Topic: Product Review: Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair  (Read 12478 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Product Review: Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair
« on: July 17, 2012, 04:03:44 am »

Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair works, says Paul Williams, but requires some practice to perfect the technique.

Read More...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Product Review: Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:07:55 am »
I've been thinking of trying one of these kits. This write up is great to read.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:11:28 am »
Railton

The guy I sold my SVX to swears by these.  He said as long as you take your time and do it right, the results are great.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:12 am »
Railton

The guy I sold my SVX to swears by these.  He said as long as you take your time and do it right, the results are great.
You finally sold it?  :thumbup:

The write up was good.  A before and after picture would have been nice to see...
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline infinitime

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:20:48 pm »
Interesting... I've been using a similar technique with the cheapo Canadian Tire paint-on touch up paint for years...

1)  Apply a small drop on area ADJACENT to chip;
2)  Using a non-linted cloth dabbed in rubbing alcohol, I would "sweep" the liquid paint into the chip;
3)  A second cloth dabbed in more rubbing alcohol is using to finesse around the chip, removing the residue;
4) using a hair dryer on its lowest heat and blast setting, I would then blow air on it from a few feet away.  This allows the still-wet paint to sit more smoothly in the chip.

The end result is not a perfectly flushed repair, but there are no paint blots outside of the chip, and the repair is quite tidy.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 09:41:32 pm »
Look like its work $50 to try it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:56 pm »
Sucks there was no Before/After pic.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 11:20:02 pm »
my paint is not on their system after reading how they can match OEM colours on their website... I placed an order and I gave them my factory paint code... they told me they couldn't mix it?! and cancelled my order...

place an order only if your colour is in their system

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 09:36:01 pm »
Well I tried this on my Vibe a couple days ago. Washed down the chipped hood and a nasty scratch on the door, opened up the kit and went at it.

What a nightmare.

The wipe part pulled the paint out of the chip and left a mess around it. Not easy to be tidy with an increasingly sticky rubber glove but the instructions said no problem. But when I finished fixing the chips and went back to the first ones to 'just wipe off' the excess there was no wiping. The mess had hardened and had to be scrubbed with the included removal solution and blending cloth. Spent the rapidly darkening evening going from spot to spot frantically scrubbing the rough paint deposits. To be fair they all did come off eventually and the removal solution did not leave any marks in the existing paint.

To top it off the cleaning sponge I used to wash the hood initially must have had some abrasive on it and that did scratch the clear coat. D’oh.

So, went back today and just carefully filled in the spots with paint, no wiping. Went back a lot quicker with the blending solution and cloth and I think it worked pretty good this time.

Moral of the story, practice first on a scrap bit of metal if you can.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »
I use this system for my company, practice certainly made perfect. Do not use that white cotton cloth that Dr. Colorchip provides, it's rough so it'll easy take paint out and it'll also introduce new swirls to your paint. The Simoniz orange cloth they sell at Canadian Tire works a lot better. You could use a microfibre as well but you will need more Sealact to remove the excess paint. If the chip is substantial (more than 5mm), I recommend using a primer paint pen.

I personally charge $60 to repair up to a dozen chips for individual clients which is about the same cost as getting the kit itself after shipping, I know how to make it look good and I guarantee the work for a year at the moment, I'm looking to increase it to five years eventually. This could be a good business opportunity for some of you in the east coast.

Leaving the paint on for 12 hours will give better results, the paint stays on better even if it does take more effort to rub out the excess. I don't have the luxury of 12 hours, I want to be in and out in 30 minutes for small jobs, though I am averaging 45 minutes and working to get it down, but those of you who have bought kits will be able to. Any subsequent coats after that first one can be rubbed out as soon as it dries. The worst chips might require up to 5 coats to get it level.

stokin

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 06:02:35 am »
DKaz******

Can you post the name of your company "paint chip repair"

I am in surrey and do not want to do it myself.

Stokin

Offline teganthoughts

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Fiesta
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:11:18 pm »
This thread is a few years old, but I thought I would post for those who discover it later with similar questions. On the subject of Dr.ColourChip, they don't sell DIY kits in Canada, or ship their products up from the states. However, they do have technicians in various locations across Canada (you can find them on their website drcolourchip.ca). You can send a picture to the one nearest you for a quote. Their technician then contacts you to set up a time and location to meet. After seeing the damage in person, they give you a quote. If you like it, they will either do the repair right away or set up a time to complete it. These mobile repairs can be done anywhere that works for you. After you get the quote, you decide whether or not you want to proceed. It's a good option to check out if you're willing to hire someone to do it; the plus side is you won't risk the mixed results of a bad DIY.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 02:09:59 pm »
Interesting, I wonder when that started? I'm going to see if the local dealer wants to buy my remaining inventory since I'm not doing my business anymore.

I have to add that it is VERY hard to screw up Dr. Color (Colour) Chip. The worst that can happen is that the paint won't stick. You absolutely will not get globs like paint pens.