Author Topic: Rock shower by an A$$hole  (Read 4249 times)

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
Rock shower by an A$$hole
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:27:12 am »
This is not really a moan 'n whine about our car but an crazy incident.

We were on our way to Ottawa in our newly purchase Fiat 500. First little road trip in it. Along the way we went through a construction site. The highway was down to one lane with pylons on one side and a fully excavated lane on the other. The excavated lane was just a bed of rocks. Speed limit was reduced to 80 km/hr with all the warning about double the fines and double the demerit points if caught speeding. I set my cruise to 90 and proceeded.

There was a guy behind me who was right on my ass who was obviously not at all pleased with my reduced speed. With only one lane I had no way to let him pass.

And then he did it. He gunned it and went into the lane of rocks and blew past me. He was driving an big black SUV or pick-up (all happened so fast I am not sure). He kick up a shower of rocks that pelted our car. Some of the rocks I saw in the air looked to be almost an inch in diameter. We heard them hitting our car all over. I served as much as I could within the lane to get out of the spray. Sat on my horn and screamed every friggin profanity there was.

As he took off in the distance I could only hope I would see him later pulled over or even better yet wrapped around a pole. I would have welcome any terrible fate for this idiot.

For the rest of our drive I was dreading what damage had happened. Once we got to our destination I got out and examined the car. There are a couple fresh chips on hood and about 6 very small chips down the driver's side of the car. I expected much worse so I was somewhat relieved but still super pissed.

This is my wife's car she has been wanted for a few years now. For this to happen upset her a lot. I was pissed too. I told her people like that will get theirs in the end. I really hope that is true. I am wishing very bad things for this person. I hope he gets his one day.

He might have saved 5 minutes in driving time and we are left with a damaged car.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Rock shower by an A$$hole
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 11:36:23 am »
"drivers" like that grind my CVT gears  >:(

Order a paint touch up off amazon while the chips are fresh...  Good thing they didn't get your windshield.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 11:43:39 am »
Were you able to get a license number?  I would have called OPP and reported him as driving erraticly and aggressively.  And maybe drunk.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 12:00:35 pm »
Karma will get him...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 12:06:51 pm »
Would have been a perfect time to have a dash-cam.

As I live near 1/2 dozen gravel pits, I feel your pain. Always seeing rocks spilled on the roads or even worse, baseball sized rocks just waiting to damage your car.

Even with how destructive it is, being able to see a rock coming at your windscreen as your brace for impact is really neat and scary at the same time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2022, 12:31:59 pm »
As someone who can be an aggressive driver with no patience, what a freaking psycho that guy was. Its a construction site, I'm not getting a huge fine so you can get home quicker to touch yourself to your new Florida Georgia Line CD. I'm not a huge believer in karma, but if he's pulling this kind of crap in a construction site, I'm sure one of these days he'll do something stupid in front of one of the royal majestys revenue collectors.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2022, 12:32:12 pm »
This is why we can't have nice things.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 12:49:01 pm »
 >:( What a jerkface.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 12:58:44 pm »
I did not get his licence number and I was not about to chase him. First of all hard to due a high speed pursuit in a Fiat 500. Secondly if he was that stupid to do this it is obviously not someone I would want to confront. That would most likely end badly for me and paint chips would be the least of my worries.  >:(

I have coded touch up paint mixed by auto parts store. I am planing to tackle chips on hood with this fine line painting pen. I have use it before on our KIA Forte and it works well. Easier to apply on horizontal surfaces like a hood verses side panels. Side panels I might be better off using a very fine artist brush. We will see.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004YZXV8U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 01:15:32 pm »
Even with a license plate I suspect you'd get no joy.  :(

That stinks and people suck.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 01:28:17 pm »
I'd go with Dr. Colorchip over everything else, plus polish it after, it'll look good as new. Are there any dents?

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 01:33:11 pm »
I'd go with Dr. Colorchip over everything else, plus polish it after, it'll look good as new. Are there any dents?

This whole thing sucks, but I do also recommend Dr. Colorchip. Used it for some hood stone chips on the M5...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 02:20:29 pm »
I did not get his licence number and I was not about to chase him. First of all hard to due a high speed pursuit in a Fiat 500. Secondly if he was that stupid to do this it is obviously not someone I would want to confront. That would most likely end badly for me and paint chips would be the least of my worries.  >:(

I have coded touch up paint mixed by auto parts store. I am planing to tackle chips on hood with this fine line painting pen. I have use it before on our KIA Forte and it works well. Easier to apply on horizontal surfaces like a hood verses side panels. Side panels I might be better off using a very fine artist brush. We will see.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004YZXV8U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These work fantastic.

Also....I hate people.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 02:38:37 pm »

Sorry to hear, some people are just :censor:.
The key to touching up stone chips, I find, is doing it in multiple applications to build up the paint to the same level as the unchipped area, then if you want to get fancy wet-sand a small around is buff it out with some compound.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2022, 03:15:36 pm »

The key to touching up stone chips, I find, is doing it in multiple applications to build up the paint to the same level as the unchipped area, then if you want to get fancy wet-sand a small around is buff it out with some compound.
With the tool above, it pretty much does that in one shot.

It works brilliantly.

https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 04:43:13 pm »
It's always black SUV's, they're driven by psychos.

I remember an experiment where someone put a fake turtle on the side of the road to determine how many people swerve away or if people actually try to hit it.  They found a small percentage of people swerved over to crush the turtle...all were driving black SUVs
Mr Pickypants

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2022, 01:34:30 pm »

With the tool above, it pretty much does that in one shot.

It works brilliantly.

https://youtu.be/Uz-zW-cLdUs

I tackled fixing the stone chips with this fine line pen. I watched videos on Dr. Colorchip and it looked way to complicated for me. While I am easily the most car anal person on my street I do not get involved in hugely complicated things with regards to my cars. In this case I most likely broke every rule in the book. I washed the car carefully and let it dry. I did not clear the chips of old wax with alcohol or a fine knife. I just loaded up my pen and applied the paint to the chips. Despite my half ass approach I am pretty pleased with the results. The chips on side of the car pretty much disappeared and the ones on the hood are hard to spot. The matched paint I had mixed at auto parts store was a great match.

The wifey was impressed.

It is after all a 7 year old Fiat 500 not a Lamborghini. I still want it to look nice and I think I accomplished that.

While going over car I notice some very tiny tiny stone chips in windshield. I cannot tell you for sure if they are the result of the A$$hole.  >:(

So it is done and in the end the damage to car was no where near as bad as I expected or it could have been.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 01:53:49 pm »
Good to hear you fixed the issue.

was this the construction zone on the 417 near Casselman?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 03:29:27 pm »
Good to hear you fixed the issue.

was this the construction zone on the 417 near Casselman?

It was the 417 & Casselman sounds about the right stage of the trip. Not sure though. Could not see signs with all the rocks in the air.  :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 08:01:46 am by Slow_lane »

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2022, 07:31:33 pm »
I feel your pain. We put a brand new OE heated windshield in our 2018 MINI Cooper Countryman only to have it chipped on the TransCanada in NB by some Dorkus Maximus in a jacked up pickup truck with the wheels sticking out of the fenders. Passed us on his A/T tires in a snowstorm and the NB DOT doesn’t use salt. It’s heavy grit, sand, and dirt they put down. A rain of rocks washed over our car and I could actually see the chips appear one by one on my windshield.