Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1632634 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« on: December 21, 2008, 09:53:29 pm »
When I used to frequent a PC 'n stuff related forum we had a "what you just bought" thread which was fairly entertaining as everybody could smile at how much dough the fellow members wasted on mainly useless but pricey computer junk. So in the thread i'm starting I decided to add the Do-It-Yourself part, just out of curiosity to know what you folks occupy yourselves with to tide you over the long and snowy (here) winter. 

So shall we start then.
Today I dug my EV bike out of snow and finally brought myself to replacing a rear tire. The one I bought in summer is a 20" made by kenda, has a more aggressive thread, fatter and can be inflated up to 65 psi, roughly twice more than the original one. I'm planning to start the season as early as I can because I'm really missing my morning rides through the park to the office. I'm also hoping for a winter surprise like we had last year in January, when it hit +20.
Next project on the same bike will be upgrading to a heavy gauge wire on the way from the battery to the motor. There is up to 20 amps going there and I should be able to recover a few volts with better wiring. Will let ya know how it goes.

Anyone else? Dont be shy!  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »
I spent about 20 hours coding for the website :(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 10:36:02 pm »
I went out last night and took some photos of Waterloo.  Not perfect but it was -15C so I wasn't in the mood for taking all night..
(links to larger below)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3096/3123884475_cce51ce840_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3213/3124709500_33c0e73a70_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/3123883755_e53f72029e_o.jpg

:)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:42:52 pm »
Ooh, Bob, I'm envious of your photos!  I need to dig out my SLR and get to work learning how to use it, but I'm lazy.  :/

Um...  nothing new for me.  My place has been buried under two feet of snow all weekend, and even the Ridgeline is having trouble with it.  Took about three hours to clear the driveway this afternoon, with the whole family going at it.  :/

Squishy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:57:22 pm »
I waste my money on old Gray tools.  Recently picked up nine wrenches worth about $500 new, paid $55 for them. :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:57:53 pm »
Thanks Demo, much appreciated.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 11:44:51 pm »
I have a lot of computer stuff, mostly not needed nowadays. Bought three laptops for myself in the past 18 months.

In the past, bought numerous out of commission servers and Sun workstations.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:32:59 am »
I just bought a bunch of storage containers to sort out my Lego pieces.  It was getting harder to find the desired pieces all mixed together in the same box. 

I waste my money on gray cards instead of gray tools.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:55:11 am »
Last week Owen Sound got quite a bit of snow and it being around zero degrees the stuff was really wet/heavy and my trusty Honda snow blower was clogging up and I was getting a little frustrated because I have a lot of area to clear including some of the road because the plow can't get down to where I'm at.  Only the city's front end loader can get down, but it doesn't always show up.  :P

So my son was after me to go over to the cottage and get an ATV I use for summer stuff and put a plow on it.  I didn't have much faith in a plow and didn't want to spend the money to find out.  On top of that I needed an electric winch to raise/lower the plow.

Well I blew the wad on one and installed it.  It's a fairly elaborate setup and requires installation of a bottom plate.  I installed the plow and my son installed the winch, handle bar control and did the wiring so that was good because I hate wiring.

So far so excellent.  I cannot believe nothing has bent because I have been smashing into and pushing some major packed piles of snow down this ravine opening.

1. pic of bottom plate
2. pic of plow
3. pic of the pile of snow I moved.  This is a pile that the city's loader deposits blocking some of my driveway and it's compacted and heavy and the ATV's plow just moves it around with easy.  I really thought I was wasting my cash this time around.  Ya never know.  :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 07:02:24 am »
AS, that sound like just to much work :rofl:
Was luck after the Friday storm, the wind clear the drive to the asphalt  ;D
Sunday was about 125mm of light  snow

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:36 am »
 :iagree:  :bow: You art is beautiful.
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 08:16:57 am »
On Saturday afternoon I spent two hours changing the polarity of and trying to get the lights to work on an old model of an Italian Railways locomotive (FS E.626 - see pic of similar model below) that I have.  Now it runs fine, and in the same direction as the other locomotives in my collection, but the damn lights still won't work!  They are supposed to switch from white to red depending on the direction the model is travelling.

I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:17 pm »
I had some spare parts lying around so I mod'ed my garbage truck. I tried out the custom WB with the gray card. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »
Ha ha, god we're a bunch of nerds, and I thought I spend hours doing silly little electrical/pc related things too, there must be a plethora of nerdy men out there spending their evenings fixing and/or breaking gadgets/toys.  :rofl2:  Come on Brig' shows us what the girls are up to!

Thanks for the compliments guys, LasP the waterfall one was shot at f/11, 13 seconds at ISO 200. It was actually well lit from both sides which helped, obviously taken on a tripod using a remote shutter release.  You can take these long exposure shots in the day using a filter to block out some of the light, but night gives you less light anyway so you automatically have to leave the shutter open for 10-15 seconds.

This one which I've posted before was 30 seconds, I sold it to the company shortly afterwards, you can see it one their website.

http://www.growhow.co.uk/content.template/1/1/Corporate/Home/Home.mspx

;D

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11:01 pm »
Very nice, what post processing did you do?   PP is one thing I don't like doing. 

Ok, for the nerdy PC side, I just downloaded and installed Sun's VirtualBox on my system.  It's open source virtualization software.   I've installed Knoppix for Kids as a guest OS.  Having a little problem getting the sound to work.   Overall, it doesn't seem bad for the price.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 11:19:48 pm »
Very nice, what post processing did you do?   PP is one thing I don't like doing. 

Ok, for the nerdy PC side, I just downloaded and installed Sun's VirtualBox on my system.  It's open source virtualization software.   I've installed Knoppix for Kids as a guest OS.  Having a little problem getting the sound to work.   Overall, it doesn't seem bad for the price.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

:rofl2: Geek!

Not much PP, I corrected the white balance because of the orange street lighting, noise reduction as long exposures can increase noice, tweak levels and contrast.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 11:23:22 pm »
Those are awesome, Bob. Esp. the waterfall and the last one. I'm not gonna start on filters, but out of curiosity, what camera did you use for the 2 I mentioned?

I have an SLR myself, but it's film and is all in dust now. I took a few long exp. shots on water, but its hard to share without a good scanner..

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:13:54 am »
Cheers Dan, I use a Nikon D300 at the moment, the factory one was taken with a Nikon D40.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:22 am »
Ha ha, god we're a bunch of nerds, and I thought I spend hours doing silly little electrical/pc related things too, there must be a plethora of nerdy men out there spending their evenings fixing and/or breaking gadgets/toys.  :rofl2:  Come on Brig' shows us what the girls are up to!

Well, the girls are up to photography, too... but as a means to an end.  After reading this thread, I am putting together some shots I took this summer and fall, which I'll post once I get my act together between working my arse off for the next 1.5 days and shopping for Christmas and entertaining out-of-town-guests and doing laundry and preparing to travel and keeping my sanity... I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Fack... so much for relaxing over the holidays.  My downtime doesn't start until Sunday night. 

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 12:50:38 am »
Not much PP, I corrected the white balance because of the orange street lighting, noise reduction as long exposures can increase noice, tweak levels and contrast.

Wow.  I was actually going to ask if the first two were HDR - the lighting just looks too perfect for a single exposure.  :thumbup: