Author Topic: DIY seasonal wheel changeover  (Read 31928 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: DIY seasonal wheel changeover
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2017, 09:53:00 am »
I don't have a table saw :rofl2:

I actually don't see the need for the hockey puck even... you guys are princesses using those! With the jack No-san bought, just have to make sure that the pinch seem lines up in the grooves of the jack & then lift the car up... does no damage & supports the car just fine to change the tire... been doing it that way for 20yrs hassle free  ;D

And as for the anti-seize, never used that and really only ever needed it on 1 car, my Altima! The centre bore on my winter steelies would fuse to the hub thru the winter, but a 5lb mallet tapped on the inside of the wheel would knock it off in 1 blow... problem solved  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2017, 10:02:48 am »
No offense, No-San, I'm sure you're a boss lawyer, but I'm guessing you have NEVER had a manual labour type job, or any job that required use of your hands?
Some taken, but you're absolutely correct that manual labour is not my forte.  I'm ok with that and have admitted my limitations - at least I'm trying to start doing things on my own.

The manual for the jack I bought is online, and it shows:
Rated capacity: 3 tons (2721 kg)
Lift range: 7 1/2 - 19" (19 - 48 cm), screw in
 9 1/2 - 21" (24 - 53 cm), screw out
Net weight: 41 lb 14 oz (19 kg)
...so, yeah, that has to go back, unfortunately.

I guess the non-package, non-SUV equivalent would be this one:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-garage-jack-2-5-ton-0091529p.html#srp

...it's $10 more, but lacks the jack stands.

Other options:

Costco - $149, low profile, but still double what I paid:
https://www.costco.ca/Arcan-3-ton-Professional-Grade-Hybrid-Service-Jack.product.100317470.html

Walmart - $60, low profile, cheaper, but I'm sure it's a POS:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/blackjack-professional-low-profile-service-jack-25-ton-capacity/6000188098434

Princess Auto has this one on sale for $119, but again, more $ and no stands (yes, I know, not necessary):
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/2-ton-xtra-low-profile-floor-jack/A-p8486698e

Partsource has one in its flyer for 20% off - $103, includes stands:
http://www.partsource.ca/en/flyer.html

Any thoughts?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2017, 10:24:07 am »
Maybe Firm can let you know when this is expected to go on sale (if you really want jack stands) http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/low-profile-aluminum-steel-jack-stand-combo-2-ton-2996002p.html#srp

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2017, 10:33:17 am »
If you're just changing tires, why bother with the jack stands?

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2017, 10:37:35 am »
If you're just changing tires, why bother with the jack stands?
I don't need them - if they come with a package, great, but I won't say no go a good jack just because it doesn't come with stands, and I won't buy stands separately.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2017, 10:54:10 am »
This one is on sale http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-jack-and-axle-stand-kit-3-ton-0091055p.html#srp
It's apparently a true POS, likely to last for less than 2 years (according to the CT guy).  If I'm buying one that'll just last a year or two, I might as well buy the $20 one from Home Depot.

The Costco one honestly seems like the best one so far.  I mean, look at the marketing picture - it's busty woman friendly ::)

...I just have to stomach $150.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:55:54 am by No-san »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:40 am »
Maybe Firm can let you know when this is expected to go on sale (if you really want jack stands) http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/low-profile-aluminum-steel-jack-stand-combo-2-ton-2996002p.html#srp
I like the aluminium low-profile floor jacks- it's what I have to use for the 325i because it sits so low to the ground. Honestly, I recommend buying a slightly nicer jack so it'll last multiple seasons. It was frustrating whenever I had to shell out every year or so for a new lift, not to mention rearranging my plans.........."sh*t now I have to drive to the hardware store and do the work in the afternoon"
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2017, 11:05:30 am »
I like the aluminium low-profile floor jacks- it's what I have to use for the 325i because it sits so low to the ground. Honestly, I recommend buying a slightly nicer jack so it'll last multiple seasons. It was frustrating whenever I had to shell out every year or so for a new lift, not to mention rearranging my plans.........."sh*t now I have to drive to the hardware store and do the work in the afternoon"

The jack Gurgie linked is the one I am currently using at home. I like it, it's nothing special but it gets the job done, feels secure and the release is nice and slow. PM me for more info :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2017, 11:12:51 am »

LOL.  The rearranging plans bit and driving to the hardware store reminds of doing brake jobs on my vehicles when I was young and single.  I'd disassemble the brakes in the parking lot of my apartment building, then wrap the rotors in towels and throw them in my backpack.  I'd then ride my bike to the closest Partsource and get them to turn the rotors for me, at the same time buying new pads.  Then ride home and complete the brake job.  These days rotors are disposable parts, so you just buy new ones before you start the job.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2017, 11:13:31 am »

The jack Gurgie linked is the one I am currently using at home. I like it, it's nothing special but it gets the job done, feels secure and the release is nice and slow. PM me for more info :)

I've had that units great grandfather and grandfather.....got lots of use when I was offroading the Jeep, yeah, not great and only got about a year out of one and about 3 years out of the other but that was using them hell of a lot more than two tire changes per year.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2017, 11:17:07 am »
Mine is probably 2-3 years old now. Used at least 2-3 time a month in the non-winter months, but I am not excessively rough with it.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2017, 11:28:04 am »
This one is on sale http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-jack-and-axle-stand-kit-3-ton-0091055p.html#srp
It's apparently a true POS, likely to last for less than 2 years (according to the CT guy).  If I'm buying one that'll just last a year or two, I might as well buy the $20 one from Home Depot.

The Costco one honestly seems like the best one so far.  I mean, look at the marketing picture - it's busty woman friendly ::)

...I just have to stomach $150.

I have that jack but in blue. It is a lot heavier than that photo implies. It does have good range of motion though.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2017, 11:39:07 am »

LOL.  The rearranging plans bit and driving to the hardware store reminds of doing brake jobs on my vehicles when I was young and single.  I'd disassemble the brakes in the parking lot of my apartment building, then wrap the rotors in towels and throw them in my backpack.  I'd then ride my bike to the closest Partsource and get them to turn the rotors for me, at the same time buying new pads.  Then ride home and complete the brake job.  These days rotors are disposable parts, so you just buy new ones before you start the job.
That's just like me ! I don't frequently work on the car or bike, but yup, it's in the apartment side lot whenever I do have to do something like change oil or swap wheels, or check/inspect anything. When I was swapping out the fender on my bike last week, I got the occasional "whatcha doing?" comment from other residents.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:35 am »

That's just like me ! I don't frequently work on the car or bike, but yup, it's in the apartment side lot whenever I do have to do something like change oil or swap wheels, or check/inspect anything. When I was swapping out the fender on my bike last week, I got the occasional "whatcha doing?" comment from other residents.

I'm lucky enough to have a my own driveway now.  However, it's gravel, so I have to put down a large piece of carboard in order to be 'comfortable'.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2017, 01:25:36 pm »
Gravel is a big PITA to work on. Not only for the comfort factor, but also because floor jacks really don't like it. The wheels need to roll as the arm lifts up and back, and they just get stuck in the gravel, dragging the car sideways instead.

Hmm, I wonder if a thick (at least 3/4"?) piece of plywood under the jack would work?

And now that I think about it, using the floor jack on gravel was probably how I bent the pinch weld on the GTI.  :-\

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2017, 02:12:13 pm »
Also when you drop stuff in gravel it's a MASSIVE PIA to find.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:20 pm »
Tell me about it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2017, 02:36:11 pm »
Also when you drop stuff in gravel it's a MASSIVE PIA to find.

X10000000...... >:( >:(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2017, 02:41:59 pm »
Gravel is a big PITA to work on. Not only for the comfort factor, but also because floor jacks really don't like it. The wheels need to roll as the arm lifts up and back, and they just get stuck in the gravel, dragging the car sideways instead.

Hmm, I wonder if a thick (at least 3/4"?) piece of plywood under the jack would work?

And now that I think about it, using the floor jack on gravel was probably how I bent the pinch weld on the GTI.  :-\
Yes.  I spent 13 years with just gravel to work on and I had, as you say, a good piece of 3/4" plywood, long enough for the jack to roll on. 3/4 ply was plenty strong enough for my E46 BMW anyway  An 18" piece cut of the end of a sheet so it was 4ft long.   Didn't mention it before as from the pic No-san will have a paved driveway.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.