Author Topic: A Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2  (Read 1529 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
A Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:06:35 pm »
After numerous track days, a couple of schools and 17 years of riding I thought it was time to go read the famous Keith Code books, "A Twist of the Wrist" and "A Twist of the Wrist II".

If you're going to do track days, or racing, of any sort frankly, then I wholeheartedly encourage you to read these two books. I've thoroughly enjoyed them, and I know for a fact they've taught me plenty.

Some of the lessons/skills/drills are simple and you already do them, but even in those cases you'll probably find a way to do them even more effectively after reading the book. It's certainly changed how I'll approach each session on the track.

You'll learn stuff about bike dynamics you might not have known, and you'll get a deeper understanding of why things work the way they do.

Anyway, if you're ever thinking "Are they worth it" - I paid $26 for the set on Kindle on my phone and it was entirely worthwhile.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: A Twist of the Wrist 1 and 2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »
Agreed - great books.  I bought the original when it came out in the early 80s and it's timeless.

A fellow I'd raced with was in Europe in the mid 80s and he wrangled some time in the paddock and met Freddie Spencer (I'm still jealous) and he saw a dog earned copy in Freddie's duffel bag.  When Freddie Spencer reads your motorcycle racing book, you've obviously nailed it!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:08 pm »
Ditto; I bought both books (Hardcopy, because old-fashioned) and read them before attending his class last year. Thinking of doing level II in May. Everytime I ride, I remember the on-track drills and apply them.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1251/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 10:26:31 pm »
Yes, I've long recommended these
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 11:29:10 pm »
I wish I'd gone to Code's school.  He's still running it, maybe I should go...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 01:52:27 am »
I'd much much rather go to Super Camp or Colin Edwards school

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1135
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
Got those books too. Learned a lot reading these.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 02:22:38 pm »
2 is on YouTube.  I watched it.  Learned a few things for sure.

I'm no expert and certainly am a noob and afraid to lean too much haha.

But so many things are things I have learned racing cars,  so I guess I'm lucky that way.  Smooth throttle, look where you want to go, balance etc.

It's all the same theory.

Difference is, on a  bike you fall off, In a car you are ham fisted you understeer push, slide and maybe drive into the grass if you are an idiot.

Haha

Learned some stuff for better explaining when Instructing though!

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 04:14:53 pm »

Difference is, on a  bike you fall off, In a car you are ham fisted you understeer push, slide and maybe drive into the grass if you are an idiot.

Which is why I love watching MotoGP. There truly is a big dose of danger in what they do.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:22:48 pm »
I started watching 2 on Youtube and also got the book. Way more information in the book but the video provides some good visuals, albeit a bit corny.

Once the throttle is cracked on, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and continuously throughout the remainder of the turn. This is something we learned in class although it was never really explained to us why.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 04:30:12 pm »
Once the throttle is cracked on, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and continuously throughout the remainder of the turn. This is something we learned in class although it was never really explained to us why.

That's explained in both books pretty comprehensively. It's about balance. Bikes work best at 60/40 weight distribution, right in the middle of the suspension range. The only way to get to that point is to be on throttle. This is one I knew from nearly 20 years of riding but didn't have crystalized in my head properly before.

Basically it's about generating stability and putting the bike where it can best respond to the road underneath it.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 04:46:39 pm »

That's explained in both books pretty comprehensively. It's about balance. Bikes work best at 60/40 weight distribution, right in the middle of the suspension range. The only way to get to that point is to be on throttle. This is one I knew from nearly 20 years of riding but didn't have crystalized in my head properly before.

Basically it's about generating stability and putting the bike where it can best respond to the road underneath it.
You mean 40/60? More weight should be to the rear. But absolutely right.

What scares me is when I'm descending the switchbacks where I live (ø 6% gradient).....one gets so hesitant to crack open the throttle when you're already pointed sharply downhill in a 180° turn, but the bike feels a lot better when you do.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 04:57:29 pm »
Yup, it makes sense. Just knowing not to upset the suspension mid turn is a basic maneuver, achieving that 40/60 weight distribution likely takes some time to master and may not always be achievable on the street with varying traffic conditions.

I just got the 2nd book because I heard the skills can be better applied on the street as well as on the track.

What scares me is when I'm descending the switchbacks where I live (ø 6% gradient).....one gets so hesitant to crack open the throttle when you're already pointed sharply downhill in a 180° turn, but the bike feels a lot better when you do.

Just approach the curve at a lower speed so you can roll on the throttle. I wonder if we have to apply more throttle if we are facing downhill? Since the hill might put more weight on the front wheel.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:02 pm »

Think of you bike like your wife.  You want to be Mr. Smooth when you're around her and try not to upset her.

As simple as that.