Author Topic: Canon_Man has Arrived  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Canon_Man

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Isuzu, Pontiac Montana, Focus, Fusion, Dodge
Canon_Man has Arrived
« on: November 23, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just been added to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm not anti anything, but I do have strong opinions about Corporate governance and how corporations conduct business in Canada, particularly companies that sell a complete line of automotive oils and chemicals.

I believe that when a Corp sells things like automotive motor oil for example, they should be required to take back the old oil for proper disposal and recycling.

This is the reason I am here, primarily because I discovered this week that the largest retailer of automotive oils and aftermarket accessories has made a blanket decision NOT to accept used oil. Comes as a shock to me.

I am a die hard DIY'er and do all of my own maintenance and have recycled the oil I buy from the retailer each spring and fall. I imagine there are other DIY'ers out there who rely on the retailer to receive the used oil they replace without hassle or incident.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Canon_Man has Arrived
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-6810
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 07:46:24 pm »
Hi Folks,

Just been added to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I'm not anti anything, but I do have strong opinions about Corporate governance and how corporations conduct business in Canada, particularly companies that sell a complete line of automotive oils and chemicals.

I believe that when a Corp sells things like automotive motor oil for example, they should be required to take back the old oil for proper disposal and recycling.

This is the reason I am here, primarily because I discovered this week that the largest retailer of automotive oils and aftermarket accessories has made a blanket decision NOT to accept used oil. Comes as a shock to me.

I am a die hard DIY'er and do all of my own maintenance and have recycled the oil I buy from the retailer each spring and fall. I imagine there are other DIY'ers out there who rely on the retailer to receive the used oil they replace without hassle or incident.

Welcome.  Good first post.

Are you talking about Crappy Tire?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »
Recycle?  Pfft...I just take mine in a wagon to the river and dump it at night.  :P  The parts per million by the time it hits the water treatment plant is minimal.  Helps keep the pipes (plumbing and rectal) cleaner.  Or I'll use it to help start the fire pit full of twigs...or spread it on the driveway to kill weeds...so many versatile uses! Why take it away?  ??? :P

:run:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 09:00:24 pm »
Recycle?  Pfft...I just take mine in a wagon to the river and dump it at night.  :P  The parts per million by the time it hits the water treatment plant is minimal.  Helps keep the pipes (plumbing and rectal) cleaner.  Or I'll use it to help start the fire pit full of twigs...or spread it on the driveway to kill weeds...so many versatile uses! Why take it away?  ??? :P

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:03:09 pm »
Also:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 11:52:29 pm »

;D

The only appropriate response is...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:30:41 am »
I didn't know CT took old oil back. I just saw ppl leaving cans by their service gates. Anyway, I was gonna say what's the problem of taking it to a city recycling centre but then remembered of all the apartment dwellers.. If they can't take it to CT anymore, the oil will likely get dumped in the big black bin.
A link to this news would be nice...if true.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:53:59 am »
I didn't know CT took old oil back. I just saw ppl leaving cans by their service gates. Anyway, I was gonna say what's the problem of taking it to a city recycling centre but then remembered of all the apartment dwellers.. If they can't take it to CT anymore, the oil will likely get dumped in the big black bin.

Your normal home service recycling truck takes it...just have to make sure the container says USED MOTOR OIL on it.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 01:02:28 am »

;D

The only appropriate response is...

:thumbup:

ltruong

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 01:48:59 am »
In Calgary the fire station usually has a container for recycling oil and other stuff.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:02 am »
In Edmonton, the ECO Stations take used oil and related items without any charge.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:06 am »

Your normal home service recycling truck takes it...just have to make sure the container says USED MOTOR OIL on it.

Home service recycling? The city recycling takes old engine oil?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:15 am »

Not in Northumberland county, you can take hazardous  into their hazardous waste centres maybe 3 times a year   

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:45:35 am »

Yes. Where I live. But only 8 liters per visit