Author Topic: New pads & rotors, but persistent ringing sound when stopping  (Read 2028 times)

Offline lwjyel

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: RAV 4
New pads & rotors, but persistent ringing sound when stopping
« on: November 16, 2017, 01:30:02 pm »
2006 RAV4 4 Cylinder

My mechanic shop replaced brake pads and rotors (back, both sides) with new ones twice in September, and front both sides just yesterday. I am still having this loud ringing sound when approaching a stop (e.g. in front of traffic signal or stop signs). Here is a video of how 'bad' it is (see attached pdf for link to the video).

I've been back and forth with shop five times. They are good people. But we both are at a lost.
Any advice on possible root cause is appreciated ...

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 06:15:23 pm by lwjyel »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: New pads & rotors, but persistent ringing sound when stopping
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:43:33 pm »
Sounds to me like cheap ceramic pads. I'm no expert though. Bet if the pads are replaced with the genuine OEM toyota ones the sound will go away.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:13:35 pm »
^^  Right on.  Not cheap, but quiet.

Offline lwjyel

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 03:12:11 pm »
Appreciate the reply. Thanks EV Dan and ArticSteve.
I went back and forth with the shop about 6 times on this, mostly due to my not being able to reliably reproduce the issue when having their mechanic in the car. The noise only happens when approaching a stop and braking lightly, but not too light. I was able to do that three days ago, got the pads replaced for the right rear yesterday. So far, no noise.
BTW, I did ask the shop. They said they don't use ceramic pads, metallic only. But they suspected that the pads material was the cause the problem too.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »
That is 100% pad material.  Either swap pads or get used to it.  Sometimes as pads wear they quiet down.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:52:24 pm »
Did they do the normal stuff, like putting anti squeal on the back of the pads and give the new pads (and rotors) a good scuffing?
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 09:09:06 pm »
Did they do the normal stuff, like putting anti squeal on the back of the pads and give the new pads (and rotors) a good scuffing?

BTW, I did ask the shop. They said they don't use ceramic pads, metallic only. But they suspected that the pads material was the cause the problem too.

This suggests to me that the mechanic has installed something of unknown brand and quality, which obviously wasn't expensive at all and now he is acting surprised and puzzled. 6 visits !?! I would tell them I'll be living a review on google+ and if nothing happens and they don't replace the pads with something of a decent quality, then this is exactly what I would do and then purchase my own pads and install them at a reputable independent mechanic.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »
Unfortunately this has all the markings of a SLAM JOB.

Offline lwjyel

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 06:12:31 pm »
Don't disagree with "big life" vs. "lesser me"  :).
Looked at my records on this more closely, it was nine times instead of six, in and out of the shop. It wasn't a big place or dealership, but an independent shop with quite a long history in the community, was recommended by my co-worker. This year is my fourth year with them.
Whenever I tried to replicate the issue, my leg got nervous, it either didn't happen or was not audible enough. One of these times, the mechanic thought it was front that made the noise. So all in all, the shop ended up replacing the pads and rotors on the rear twice both sides, and the front both sides too (warranty, front was changed by them about a year ago).
Although very annoyed for sure through the process, it was mostly due to time spent not really a feeling of being deceived. Everybody's been civil enough to everybody else, just crazily slow and ineffective.
I don't know, anybody else had the experience of "the thing happens all the time when I am driving, but just not when the mechanic is sitting in my car"? Haha.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »
Congrats on getting it fixed. What pads did they install the second time?

Offline lwjyel

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 12:40:17 pm »
Thanks EV Dan. Sorry that this took a while. I was giving the pads a few weeks to conclude if the problem is truly fixed. It is so far so good. The Papa&Son shop told me this, "pads made by Wagner, higher quality ones called QC".