Author Topic: New Shoes for the Tundra  (Read 7691 times)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Re: New Shoes for the Tundra
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 01:23:37 pm »
Costco is out.  Soon as I move to an LT tire the speed rating drops to an R.  Original equipment is T rated so Costco won't install.

Yep, Costco is great for tires when it's exactly the OE specs...and otherwise completely unhelpful.  But I can definitely see why you'll need T-rated tires when racing your Tundra....  ;D

I contacted them a few years ago when looking at Blizzaks for the Elantra - stock size is 215/45R17, wanted to downsize to 205/55R16 for winter.  Wouldn't do it - even though it's virtually identical diameter, and it obviously fits over the brakes (the base trim tire was 195/65R15!)  Maybe it was just the local Costco not wanting to be bothered, they were great when I got Blizzaks for the Forester. 

Keep us posted on what you decide - might have to get new LT tires on the GMC at the end of the year.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 03:03:50 pm »
Logged about 60K-kms on the General Grabber AT2s on he Highlander - and really like them.

Good:

Good pavement traction despite being an AT tire.  Good rain performance.
Long wearing: still at 11/32.
Great dirt road handling.

Bad:

Noisy!!  Same for all AT style tires, but if someone's used to all-seasons or summers, these are loud.
The snowflake rating doesn't mean they're a snow tire.  I use dedicated snow tires.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 03:24:30 pm »
I've heard good things about these tires, thanks for your input.  I called the closest tire dealer near me as I know they deal in everything and their price was a bit surprising.  $1700 taxes in.  I'll call around though as they're higher with most of them heir pricing.

I purchased the Generals for my Truck at Canadian Tire. I did a quick check and they list the LT version in your size at $285 each.

http://goo.gl/npPZU9

Thanks, any idea what CT charges for install?  The website says balance and install extra. 

I'm going to start by stopping by Value Tire in S'toon.  They carry the Cooper's and BFG's and online pricing looks really good, plus free install.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2016, 05:25:49 pm »
Those would be awesome, on a jeep.  Probably look silly on my Tundra. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 01:01:07 pm »
Went and had a look at a pile of tires this morning.  Booked an appointment for Monday afternoon.  The one shop I'm going with has both the Cooper AT3 and the BFG AT KO2 in stock.  There's about a $200 price difference in favour of the Cooper's.  I'm leaning towards the Cooper's at this point.  The BFGs seem like a great tire, but they are very aggressive, especially once you see them in person.  Just seem like overkill for my needs. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »
Showed up at the tire shop to get the Coopers installed.  Had everything settled, as I'm about to sit down in the lounge dude comes over and asks if I have sensors installed on my summer wheels.  I say no, only on the winters. He says they can't do the install, but could mount them on the rims and I could swap them at home if I want, due to liability reasons. Or they could install sensors for $75 a piece. I told him to shove it  :-*(there was a bit more discussion but essentially that's what I told him).

I'm now sitting at another shop getting Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventurers installed.   :) Not quite as agressive tread as the Coopers, but more than likely a better overall tire. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:31:30 pm by bridgecity »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
New Shoes for the Tundra
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 03:33:58 pm »
Sir O, I asked for these to be installed but bolt pattern wasn't quite right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »
That looks like a good compromise, from what you said your usage will be the Goodyears should be fine

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 03:43:03 pm »
Ya they're probably more than I need.  They actually had the Coopers here too, but as Goodyear has the 4 for 3 sale, price installed is about the same.  Retail for each of the Goodyears is $360 each  :o. , or about $80 per tire more than the Coopers.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 04:28:52 pm »
Sir O, I asked for these to be installed but bolt pattern wasn't quite right...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 11:11:15 pm »
So, after all that research and shopping, you made a last-minute decision and bought something that wasn't even on your radar initially. ???  :rofl2:

No matter, I'm sure the Goodyears will be fine. :)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 11:28:18 pm »
So, after all that research and shopping, you made a last-minute decision and bought something that wasn't even on your radar initially. ???  :rofl2:

No matter, I'm sure the Goodyears will be fine. :)

Ya, I know eh  :think:  :rofl2:

The Goodyears were always in the back of my mind, knew they were a decently rated tire.  It was a knee jerk reaction after leaving the first dealer.  But as you say, I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 10:13:43 pm »
I've had the tires on for about a month now and I am happy with them.  For some context, tires I've had on the truck include Toyo Open Country AT load class E, BF Goodrich Rugged Trail TA (stock), and Blizzak winters.  The most recent summers that were on the truck were the BFGs.  The new Goodyear's are hands down the best riding tire I've had on the truck, including the Blizzaks.  The TRD Tundra is fairly harsh riding and the new tires have softened the ride up.  I haven't noticed a decrease in handling but I don't exactly push the truck in the corners.  Wet traction is improved off the line.  The BFG's were terrible with this.  Always seemed to be spinning leaving a light if the road was wet.  I haven't had the truck off the beaten path yet, just pavement and a small amount of gravel so I can't comment yet on that aspect.

On the down side, tire noise at highway speed has increased.  Not a "hum" like from mud tires, but a noticeable increase, however not bothersome.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I ended up going with a load class "C" tire.  This was based on both shops (the one I walked out on and the one I purchased from) recommending a C over an E.  Their argument was that an E was overkill for my half ton, which they are probably correct.  Part of the argument was that a C is somewhere above the 114 load index rating that are stock on my Tundra and and E load class.  I found out afterwards that this isn't the case, a bit of an explanation in the paragraph below.  At first I was a little miffed, but after feeling how much the ride improved with the tires I decided I would stick with them.  Load carrying capacity of the tires is well over the axle rating anyhow. 

Load class "C" gives a load carrying capacity very close to the 114 load index (actually slightly less).  However, the load class C is a designated LT tire, which gives heavier duty sidewall construction and extra tread depth.  Why the sturdier sidewall construction doesn't equate to a heavier load rating I don't have an answer to.  The "load class" and "load index" is confusing.  Basically load class is used for LT tires and load index for passenger tires, as I understand it.  I don't understand why everything just doesn't follow load index nowadays. 

Anyway, happy so far.  I'll also have to see how they perform towing our RV trailer which is about 6800lbs dry, so it'll be pushing 8000lbs loaded.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:16:25 pm by bridgecity »