Author Topic: What should the Burger buy next?  (Read 43182 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: What should the Burger buy next?
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2017, 01:00:56 am »
I've not found a salesman yet who knew more about the car I was shopping for than I did.

I'd guess most people in this forum would fall into that category
i would agree with you for the most part, but i will say that the sales people at both the Honda and GM stores that i was recently at were both very good.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #141 on: July 22, 2017, 05:53:15 am »
I've not found a salesman yet who knew more about the car I was shopping for than I did.

The guy I dealt with at BMW Moncton was very well informed. He's been there since the store opened as have many of their employees. It seems like many of the luxury marque dealerships have low staff turnover around here. I know that is also true of the MB store.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #142 on: July 22, 2017, 08:27:59 am »

The guy I dealt with at BMW Moncton was very well informed. He's been there since the store opened as have many of their employees. It seems like many of the luxury marque dealerships have low staff turnover around here. I know that is also true of the MB store.

I'm guessing they are paid slightly more than main stream brand dealerships.  Plus I'm guessing they deal with a bit less bs than the lesser dealers.  If I was selling vehicles I'd prefer working at a luxury brand.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:57 am »

I'm guessing they are paid slightly more than main stream brand dealerships.  Plus I'm guessing they deal with a bit less bs than the lesser dealers.  If I was selling vehicles I'd prefer working at a luxury brand.

Well sure, the elites are just a better class of people. It's common knowledge that people with more money are known for being more reasonable, more polite, more agreeable, and are just much more pleasant to be around.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2017, 12:30:49 pm »

Well sure, the elites are just a better class of people. It's common knowledge that people with more money are known for being more reasonable, more polite, more agreeable, and are just much more pleasant to be around.

Can you get your tongue out of your cheek Cord or is it so far in it got stuck?  ;D

Online Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2017, 01:12:43 pm »

Can you get your tongue out of your cheek Cord or is it so far in it got stuck?  ;D

:rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2017, 01:21:05 pm »

:rofl2:
lol...i was about to say, from my experience in retail, the only difference between the common folk and the rich ones was usually just the way they dressed...just as many pricks with money as there are without.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2017, 01:53:01 pm »

;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2017, 04:55:57 pm »
When we bought the Forester so many moons ago, we bought it from a Mazda dealer.  The sales-person was incredibly knowledgeable abut the Subaru - more-so than any Subaru salesperson I've come across.  Then it turned out the guy was ridiculous - he knew more about all the used cars on the lot (and there were a lot of them -   ;D  ) than most of the people you'd find at the on-brand lot for the cars.  He was a crazy gear-head!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2017, 09:27:47 pm »
When we bought the Forester so many moons ago, we bought it from a Mazda dealer.  The sales-person was incredibly knowledgeable abut the Subaru - more-so than any Subaru salesperson I've come across.  Then it turned out the guy was ridiculous - he knew more about all the used cars on the lot (and there were a lot of them -   ;D  ) than most of the people you'd find at the on-brand lot for the cars.  He was a crazy gear-head!
it's because he cares...i like those kind of people.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2017, 12:43:56 am »

I remember my 18yr old self selling Fords, knew every single car on that lot inside out. I even memorized the gear ratios in the pickups lol. All the old timers called the the encyclopedia of cars (cause I knew all makes so well) Me thinks I'd make a good salesgod to this day!  ;D

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2017, 05:48:40 pm »
Verdict following the  2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum test drive:

I recognize that the exterior styling is not for everyone, but it certainly can't be accused of being boring.  I like the exterior quite a bit, especially in that fantastic blue.  If there was one thing I'd change, it would be for the Platinum trim to have the same 19" wheels as the SR model.  The interior again is quite polarizing.  The diamond pattern on the seats and wood trim is odd, but I can live with it.  The seats were EXTREMELY comfortable and I loved the driving position.  Despite being fully loaded, the interior didn't seem like one that would need an operating manual review.  The engine had ample get up and go for my needs, and driving a NA V6 was refreshing.  It didn't feel as powerful as the caddy.  Nissan have done a good job with the CVT.  It didn't get in the way of my driving enjoyment, but it would take some getting used to in terms of the sound.  I kept expecting that satisfying up shift, which never came.  However, I was too busy enjoying the quickness of the car to care much.  Back seat was definitely small, but sitting in the back seat 2-3 times a year for short drives wouldn't be bad.  The visibility while shoulder checking was ok imo, but Christy thought it wasn't the greatest.  The large trunk and fold down seats give the car a lot of versatility.  It has all the features we need except AWD, and the only thing missing seems to be blind spot monitoring.  However, it has something called moving object detection.  I'm not sure how/if the two systems are different.

This car is definitely high up on the list now.  Probably higher than the caddy, considering it is close to 10 grand cheaper than the CTS.  I think I can get it for less than 30 grand.  I test drove a couple of other vehicles yesterday too, and will provide a review on those later.

EDIT: The Nissan does have Blind Spot Monitoring.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 10:25:54 am by SearhardBurger »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2017, 06:49:39 pm »
I test drove a couple of other vehicles yesterday too, and will provide a review on those later.
i was about to ask if you drove the Genesis yet...perhaps that is one of the reviews to come.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2017, 09:29:33 pm »
There's going to be a 1969 E-Type Fixed-Head-Coupe that's totally restored for sale sometime in the future.  Maybe wait for it?

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 24, 2017, 10:57:21 am »
I test drove a couple of other vehicles yesterday too, and will provide a review on those later.
i was about to ask if you drove the Genesis yet...perhaps that is one of the reviews to come.

Unfortunately, we didn't get to the Genesis as it was about 75km away.  I thought we'd have time for it, but with lots of stuff going on associated with the imminent listing of my house, we didn't have an extra 1.5-2 hrs to get to Moose Jaw and back.

The Nissan was at the MB dealership.  The guy was trying to persuade us to test drive a C-class.  He asked if it was on my list, and I said no.  After he said he had a couple of 2016 demos he wanted to get rid of etc, and combined with my curiosity (had never driven a MB before), I agreed. 

It was a white 2016 C300 4Matic.  As the car wasn't on my list, I hadn't done any research and had to rely on the sales guy.  I liked the steering wheel, the fact that it had AWD and exterior styling of the MB better than the Maxima, and that's about it.  The Maxima won in every other category.  It was a lesser car for way more money imo.  The interior LOOKS really cool, but I didn't find it intuitive at all.  The seats weren't as comfy as the Maxima's either.  I always wondered how I felt about cars that didn't have shifters.  Now I know I dislike them.  The C300 had this dinky little thing behind the wheel, which I mistook as the cruise control for a second.  I couldn't sit comfortably in the back seat.  The legroom was ok, but headroom for me was very poor.

Good things about it - I liked having the power seat controls on the door.  In manual mode, the paddle shifters were responsive and I didn't feel like the car nannied me much. The pano sunroof seemed more expansive than the Maxima's.  The infotainment screen had crisper graphics.

Bottom line - Less power than the Maxima.  It only had about half the features I wanted and/or are nice to haves (no heated steering wheel, no ventilated seats, no rear sun shade, no adaptive cruise control etc.), and it had a couple thousands more kms on it than the Maxima, and it cost.....wait for it....$17,000 more than the Maxima.  Was never on the list, and the test drive didn't change that.  I wasn't really hopeful.  Did the drive mainly cos we were there, he insisted and I was curious.

But man, that E-class wagon looks nice!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #155 on: July 24, 2017, 11:33:10 am »
Verdict following the  2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum test drive:

I recognize that the exterior styling is not for everyone, but it certainly can't be accused of being boring.  I like the exterior quite a bit, especially in that fantastic blue.  If there was one thing I'd change, it would be for the Platinum trim to have the same 19" wheels as the SR model.  The interior again is quite polarizing.  The diamond pattern on the seats and wood trim is odd, but I can live with it.  The seats were EXTREMELY comfortable and I loved the driving position.  Despite being fully loaded, the interior didn't seem like one that would need an operating manual review.  The engine had ample get up and go for my needs, and driving a NA V6 was refreshing.  It didn't feel as powerful as the caddy.  Nissan have done a good job with the CVT.  It didn't get in the way of my driving enjoyment, but it would take some getting used to in terms of the sound.  I kept expecting that satisfying up shift, which never came.  However, I was too busy enjoying the quickness of the car to care much.  Back seat was definitely small, but sitting in the back seat 2-3 times a year for short drives wouldn't be bad.  The visibility while shoulder checking was ok imo, but Christy thought it wasn't the greatest.  The large trunk and fold down seats give the car a lot of versatility.  It has all the features we need except AWD, and the only thing missing seems to be blind spot monitoring.  However, it has something called moving object detection.  I'm not sure how/if the two systems are different.

This car is definitely high up on the list now.  Probably higher than the caddy, considering it is close to 10 grand cheaper than the CTS.  I think I can get it for less than 30 grand.  I test drove a couple of other vehicles yesterday too, and will provide a review on those later.

EDIT: The Nissan does have Blind Spot Monitoring.

Sounds pretty much spot on.  I'd do this over the Caddy.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2017, 11:40:55 am »
Sounds like this might be a case of "hurry up and buy the Maxima before somebody else does"  ;D

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:02 am »
There's going to be a 1969 E-Type Fixed-Head-Coupe that's totally restored for sale sometime in the future.  Maybe wait for it?

Some day, maybe.  :drool:

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 24, 2017, 11:44:32 am »
Sounds like this might be a case of "hurry up and buy the Maxima before somebody else does"  ;D

Nah, I think about the Genesis too much to buy something before test driving it.  If it was here in town, I'd cab to the dealership and back.  Moose jaw would be an expensive cab ride.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #159 on: July 24, 2017, 11:48:05 am »
A good representation of SHB in both speed and stature:

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken