Author Topic: Winter warrior window shield cover  (Read 5339 times)

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Winter warrior window shield cover
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:43 pm »
Is that actually gonna clear a layer of ice off?  Somehow I doubt it.

Its worked for any of the conditions I've faced out here....I have no clue how bad the ice storms are out east.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:56 pm »
This morning it was was thick enough that a scraper was barely cutting through it, even when using one of the pointy edges.  I had to use hot water to melt it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:54:22 pm »
ME and my wife have been using them on our vehicles for over 5 years and they are best for frost and ice.  Snow is easy enough to get off most of the time but frost is a pain because you have to either scrape the windshield or wait for your vehicle to warm up.  It is a time saver and we us it for probably 7 months of the year.

Isn't there a spray on windshield clearing product at Canadian tire that is probably more effective than the ones previously listed and more effective probably?

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 06:04:18 pm »
ME and my wife have been using them on our vehicles for over 5 years and they are best for frost and ice.  Snow is easy enough to get off most of the time but frost is a pain because you have to either scrape the windshield or wait for your vehicle to warm up.  It is a time saver and we us it for probably 7 months of the year.

Isn't there a spray on windshield clearing product at Canadian tire that is probably more effective than the ones previously listed and more effective probably?

Probably thinking of the Alaskan product .https://www.alaskan.ca/en/product/detail/Alaskan_Windshield_De-Icer
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 06:24:53 am »

Probably thinking of the Alaskan product .https://www.alaskan.ca/en/product/detail/Alaskan_Windshield_De-Icer
Or get a spray bottle and put in -45°C windshield  washer in it

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 07:07:08 am »
This morning it was was thick enough that a scraper was barely cutting through it, even when using one of the pointy edges.  I had to use hot water to melt it.

I'd be worried about the windshield cracking from the hot water.   :-\

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:10 am »
Well if you drive your car on roads that have salt and debris on them it sticks to the windshield. When it comes in contact with the scraper it scratches the windshield. ::)
It's called windshield washer fluid.  Try using it FFS.

It doesn't clear the ice off, but it does melt some of it such that it becomes hella easier to scrape it off.  No more hacking away at it.

:iagree:

I'm not opposed to the windshield cover, but the fuel savings would be trivial given that an I4 burns through max 2L/h at idle - a 6 min idle would use no more than 0.2L - $0.23 at today's gas prices 'round here.  I seldom have to idle that long any way, and then I get the benefit of being nicer to my powertrain (not driving off totally cold) and some heat inside.  Time savings, I don't know...I'd think not since you'd have to fold it up afterwards, plus the added time of putting it on before you retire to bed the night before.

I think it's a great idea, but I don't see the use for my purposes.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:04 am »
Just when we thought that all potential sources of division had been exhausted on this forum, we now have a new divide to contend with: those who value a winter windshield cover versus those who do not.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 09:55:41 am »
Facking lawyers always need to try to get the last word in  :rofl2:

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:13 pm »
Well if you drive your car on roads that have salt and debris on them it sticks to the windshield. When it comes in contact with the scraper it scratches the windshield. ::)

It doesn't clear the ice off, but it does melt some of it such that it becomes hella easier to scrape it off.  No more hacking away at it.

:iagree:

I'm not opposed to the windshield cover, but the fuel savings would be trivial given that an I4 burns through max 2L/h at idle - a 6 min idle would use no more than 0.2L - $0.23 at today's gas prices 'round here.  I seldom have to idle that long any way, and then I get the benefit of being nicer to my powertrain (not driving off totally cold) and some heat inside.  Time savings, I don't know...I'd think not since you'd have to fold it up afterwards, plus the added time of putting it on before you retire to bed the night before.

I think it's a great idea, but I don't see the use for my purposes.

Does your windshield  washer fluid clean the  spots of the windshield that the wiper doesn't? FFS

Why do you have to have the last word on everything. Very tiresome.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2018, 10:22:36 am »
Does your windshield  washer fluid clean the  spots of the windshield that the wiper doesn't? FFS
A squeegee when you fill up with gas would.

...that being said, I noticed that Costco gas stations (or at least the one in Guelph) doesn't have squeegees.