Author Topic: 2017 Hyundai Veloster- 2 weeks  (Read 2071 times)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
2017 Hyundai Veloster- 2 weeks
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:05:52 pm »
2017 Hyundai Veloster: What you get when a car company doesn't bother trying for 6 years

+ Clever, efficient DCT
+ It stops and turns reasonably
- Lacklustre motor
- Uncomfortable
- Missing interior details
- Poor ESC/ABS calibration

You can imagine the circumstances: Upon arriving at 20:00 on a Sunday night in the rosy city of Detroit, Michigan, you are forced to choose a rental car that's left over. You've driven 3h to get to your airport, flown another 2h, and have another hour of driving to get your hotel.

I wanted a Ford Focus but weirdly, that was locked. The rest were dreary Nissans and unloved SUVs from various other Hyundai/Kia/FCA makes. Traveller's advice: Don't bother renting from National. I had to, because you know, company policy.

"This one's got a dual-clutch, I can't find any car with seat heating, I've been searching for 10min. This has the most flavour of the lot, I'm going." So thus began 2 weeks and 1600km with the base Hyundai Veloster.

At first glance, things seem okay. Aside from a missing CD player and inability to configure the base board computer, the infotainment system proved easy to use, reminiscent of a Samsung tablet. The Veloster has brakes, suspension, and reasonable features for its 20 k$ starting price (with DCT). So as a transport device, you could do worse.

I wish I could write another paragraph on its virtues, but after multiple hours behind the wheel, through snow, wind, and the 401.....I just can't.

Most modern cars manage to be comfortable for long drives. This isn't. The seats, with their chunky lateral support, look sporty, but there is a lack of back support, and no adjustable lumbar. So after about an hour, my back starts to complain- even on the drive from the airport to Auburn Hills Michigan. The seats also use a nasty "ratchet" type lever for backrest angle, so I could never fine-tune, or get the back angle just right. No amount of shifting or tweaking improved things. Plus, when you fold the driver seat to put something in backseat, it doesn't return to its previous position.

Other details inside irritate. The heater controls are hard to use with gloves- turn the fan speed, you'll probably also turn the temperature "outer" dial. The touchscreen doesn't work with gloves, and you can't use the knob as a secondary like you would on say, a VW Golf. The blue backlighting is hard on the eyes at night, there's no clock in the centre display, nor instant consumption, the single USB part barely maintained my phone charged, and it kept prompting my phone to use Android Auto which was infuriating because I had to keep clicking "no" on my phone. The base stereo sounds terrible. And there is no rear visibility. Form over function, again.

The drive? Well, the DCT is reasonably well-sorted, with smooth quick shifts. It tends to hurry too quickly into a higher gear, so merging means unnecessary gear changes, but otherwise it's a decent unit that responds quickly in auto or manual mode. The gated shifter is stupid and clunky though.

Too bad its attached to a mediocre powerplant. The 1,6 litre, direct-injection 4 cyl. petrol supposedly makes 140PS, but the 167 Nm of torque waits until nearly 5k revs to arrive. Making things worse, it's rather coarse above 3k and makes unpleasant sounds as the revs build. It struggles to hold a standard autoroute/freeway cruise of 130km/h without changing down to 5th or 4th, and that's in hockey-rink flat Southern ON and Michigan. In certain secteurs of the 401 and the 94 (Michigan), doing 140-150km/h was taxing. Long distance cruiser, this is not. Consumption was as low as 6,6 l/100km if you keep it in the suburbs, but above 120km/h this engine gets thirsty, as high as 8 l/100km on E10 fuel.

Other dynamic qualities fall short. The steering builds weight unnaturally, and there's very little feel. The brakes grab when cold. The chassis quivers (!) over the worst frost-heaves, and the suspension clomps over bumps too much, even after I let some air out of the tires. Remember the first generation of run-flat tires? This car feels like it wears them. The ESC intervention threshold is extremely aggressive and poorly calibrated- sounds and feels like a 2004 cheese grater. And the heater takes forever to generate heat, even when it's above 0°. This car is nearly undriveable with all-season tires in light snow.

You get the sense that very little effort has gone into engineering and refining the Veloster. It reminds me of a Korean appliance. There's no joy that comes from the Veloster, the irritations build over time, and an underwhelming motor makes simple tasks like "cruising" quite hard. For 20k $, there's a whole laundry list of better choices. I was happy to leave it parked while in Toronto.

Not since the Euro-spec, 72 PS Fiat 500 have I driven something so unpleasant. Perhaps I will select a Nissan blob next time. In the meantime, I wouldn't shed a tear if this got knicked at some point on the mean streets of Detroit.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2017 Hyundai Veloster- 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 07:09:53 pm »
Thanks for the review. Always good to hear from someone without a brand bias.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:46:24 pm »
Thanks!  That was a well-written review about a poorly-wrought car it seems.  I really want to like Hyundai and I mostly do, having had an excellent 4 year ownership experience with a 2007 Santa Fe 3.3 AWD Sport.  They have some excellent cars in their stable but it would seem you didn't luck into one. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 07:26:19 pm »
To be fair though. Is it not based on an accent and has the same engine? I think we are expecting too much from this car. Travelling at 130 km per hour constantly in this car and calling it underpowered seems a little rich. That is not the mission of this car. The manual transmission would help a bit.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 07:32:04 pm by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Why didn't you want to use Android Auto?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:17:08 pm »
I don't use Google Maps-I don't find the navi intuitive, so my sat nav interface is Sygic. I generally stream my audio via Bluetooth or use a USB stick (or CD, but not available in the Hyundai). So I'm not sure what purpose Android Auto serves........

What's interesting is that other cars I've rented don't prompt the phone for Android Auto. Just this one did, endlessly.

@Seafoam: I generally expect all cars to comfortably maintain a standard freeway cruise, which is 130. The Mini Cooper 1,5 litre has a punchy motor, even the Ford Fiestas I've driven have been darlings to drive......even if rushing to the aéroport @150+. To be fair, the Fiesta is probably much lighter though. But seriously, everytime I came up upon an overpass in the Veloster, the cruise control shifted down 1-2 gears to 4k.

I really wish Hyundai had put some effort into refining it over the 6 years, so it doesn't feel like a 2011 car.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:43:21 pm »
You can stream your music via Android auto much more easily. And I find it immensely difficult to believe anything is more inituitive than google... Especially when you can simply yell "home" or "Costco" or just a full address and it will instantly navigate you there with real time traffic.  The only reason not to use it is you don't want to be blocked from texting and driving.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:53:38 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:05 am »
I don't use Google Maps-I don't find the navi intuitive, so my sat nav interface is Sygic. I generally stream my audio via Bluetooth or use a USB stick (or CD, but not available in the Hyundai). So I'm not sure what purpose Android Auto serves........

What's interesting is that other cars I've rented don't prompt the phone for Android Auto. Just this one did, endlessly.

@Seafoam: I generally expect all cars to comfortably maintain a standard freeway cruise, which is 130. The Mini Cooper 1,5 litre has a punchy motor, even the Ford Fiestas I've driven have been darlings to drive......even if rushing to the aéroport @150+. To be fair, the Fiesta is probably much lighter though. But seriously, everytime I came up upon an overpass in the Veloster, the cruise control shifted down 1-2 gears to 4k.

I really wish Hyundai had put some effort into refining it over the 6 years, so it doesn't feel like a 2011 car.

Freeway cruise at 130 km per hour here in N.S would get you a lot a of speeding tickets.
Different people have different standards I guess.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:31:03 am by Seafoam »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:40:05 pm »
130km/h is often the speed of traffic on Southern Ontario Highways.

In North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, etc. the speed limits on the interstates are 75mph, which is 120kph.  Traffic will regularly go 80-85mph, or 130 - 136kph.