Author Topic: 2002 Nissan Altima Problems  (Read 27692 times)

Offline sly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
2002 Nissan Altima Problems
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 07:20:14 pm »
I used to be a Nissan guy, but no longer. Their ratings have gone very bad lately. Especially the models built in the US. They should have come to Canada, where Toyotas and Hondas plants are considered amongst best in the world.

Their attemps to rapidly gain market share comes from building cheaper. Basically the American's way of building vehicles. Too bad. They used to make good stuff, despite some challenges with their looks a few years ago.

Smainville

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 07:00:30 pm »
You're off the mark Sly, Nissan is profitable, recalls are down 64%. They've encountered problems with some models like the Altima and Quest in the early going but are taking care of business.  I think Honda is the one in trouble right now, sales are down, recalls are up and the looks of some models are so so.  Nissan truck products are hot and look awesome.

Offline sly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2005, 01:00:10 pm »
Smainville:

I agree that Nissan is again profitable. For how long, will see.

Wonder where you get the 64% statistics?!? No matter, low recall does not mean better quality, it might mean more greed by trying to get you to repair it before they finally agrre to repair under warranty or if too many people complain (or die!) then they will recall. They are so desperate with the Quest that they slshed the price and extended warranties.

Honda in trouble. I would not say in trouble yet but loosing market, sure and yes their quality edge is getting smaller, Toyotas are still king.

Nissan truck hot!?!?! Where? not in Ontario for sure. They are a rarity. They look good, have good mechanics, but the bodies have serious quality issues, and I don't mean cheap plastic, I mean things falling off!!

Still say they have to get back to their roots on quality, the rest is fine, I agrre.

Smainville

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2005, 06:12:02 pm »
Well sly courtesy of S60 here it is:
Honda had five recalls, including 440,000 Civics and other sedans and 600,000 Odyssey and similar minivans, pushing its total this year to 1.26 million vehicles, 40 percent above 2003's total. "We wanted to take immediate action to make sure we are nipping the problem in the bud," spokesman Andy Boyd said.

Honda set aside $153 million to recall Odysseys, "one of our larger recall expenses," Boyd said. Honda announces recall costs on a case-by-case basis, and doesn't disclose the costs of every campaign, he said.

Recalls by Toyota Motor Corp., the biggest Japanese carmaker, rose to 1.21 million in 2004; the Toyota City company recalled 40,696 vehicles in 2003.
Toyota spokesman John Hanson said recalls are rising because ``we are finding problems very early on and acting on them.'' For example, 128,000 Camry sedans from the 2004 model year were recalled soon after production because the automaker found a defective part in the side air bags that might stop the safety equipment from deploying.

Nissan Motor Co., Japan's second largest automaker, was the only one of the six largest to recall fewer vehicles in 2004. The Tokyo-based company recalled 723,891 vehicles, down 64 percent.

The Cayenne sport-utility vehicle made by Stuttgart-based Porsche AG and the Saturn Ion coupe made by General Motors were the most-recalled vehicles, representing five separate orders. Engine and engine-cooling flaws were the most common reason for a recall at 128 instances.

I'm sure S60 can tell us where he dug this article.

Graves

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005, 02:23:45 pm »
I was a 2-time Honda Accord owner before I bought my 2003 Altima.  My first Honda brought me a great trade-in price and the second is still driving fine at 270,000 km! Which brings to mind my Altima.  The first year I had it, they changed the radiator because of an irregular fluid level, at their cost.  I brought it in last week with a flapping sound in the engine. They told me they had to replace the engine.  Something to do with the catalyst converter.  Again the engine will be replaced at Nissan's cost.  But its scaring me nonetheless.  Although both my Hondas were 4 cylinder they still had oomph on the highway.  I find the Altima a little sluggish.  I hope the new engine will change all that.  

BTW.  I went to Nissan becasue I didn't like the Accord style.  The interior is much smaller than the Altima and the Altima has a sleeker exterior with a lot of extras included in the base price.

Smainville

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2005, 05:29:18 pm »
It's a catalytic converter issue that has cause that problem, it's likely the converter is not even made by Nissan.  A design flaw that resulted in engine damage, it's really too bad otherwise a very powerful engine.  The Nissan 2.5 does not "whine" and give the impression it's fast, but if you keep your eyes on the speedo you realize quickly that it is.

Nissparts

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2005, 09:12:23 pm »
The 2.5 L uses a non-EGR type design which I think with our shitty fuel might be playing a role in all of this discussion with the CAT.
I'll keep you all advised if I hear anything.

Smainville

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 06:47:29 am »
Nissparts, I assume this problem is non-exixtent in the 05, rectified right?

Nissparts

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2005, 11:32:35 am »
The problem would be with the fuel...so nothing to "fix" per say but I'll chk further to see if any changes were made to the design for 2005.
Likely the manf has since re-programmed the ecm to compensate for this problem to some degree.

Offline sparky

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 09:19:58 am »
Smainville, Nissan Australia recalled the 2.5 X-Trail to correct the emissions problem, but excluded the current generation, which they say does not suffer from the problem. Hope they're right.