Author Topic: ECU Fail. I'm Really Pissed.  (Read 25812 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: ECU Fail. I'm Really Pissed.
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2017, 05:25:56 pm »
Fuel cap is #1 cause.  Take off, put back on, drive for a while and see if it clears.

What is the current level of fuel in the car?  Must be less than 3/4 remaining.  If you don't have to fill the car, don't.  If the tank has more than 3/4 on board, then the diagnostics for the evap system turn off and you won't know if you solved the issue.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2017, 05:35:45 pm »
Thanks, John.

Fuel cap is #1 cause.  Take off, put back on, drive for a while and see if it clears.

Did that.  Did not clear.  Took it to the shop yesterday to have him clear it.  He was nice enough to do it immediately, despite being crazy busy.  It came back on.  He wants me to call him for an appointment, but my sweetheart will be taking a look tomorrow.

What is the current level of fuel in the car?  Must be less than 3/4 remaining. 

I'm a hair under half a tank.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2017, 06:11:15 pm »
Sounds like it would be easy to burn to the ground now.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2017, 06:15:32 pm »
It looks like it's an ECM controlled function, so could be the new ECM (or it's install) is an issue:

P0442 HYUNDAI - EVAP System Leak Detected Small Leak

Possible causes:
Missing or loose fuel cap Incorrect fuel filler cap used Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap EVAP canister or fuel tank leaks EVAP system hose leaking Fuel tank leaking

What does this mean?
The P0442 code means that the control module has detected a small leak in the Evaporative Emission (EVAP). Loose fuel tank filler cap is the most common cause that triggers the P0442 code.

When is the code detected?
Malfunction is detected when EVAP control system has a leak, EVAP control system does not operate properly.

Possible symptoms:
Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Possible a noticeable fuel odor caused by the release of fuel vapors P0442 HYUNDAI

Description:
The Engine Control Module (ECM) tests the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions: - Large and small leaks - Excess vacuum - Purge flow during non-commanded conditions - Fuel Level and Fuel Pressure sensor faults - EVAP Purge and Vent Valve faults The ECM monitors the Fuel Tank Pressure sensor in order to determine the level of vacuum/pressure in the EVAP system. The ECM commands both the EVAP Purge Solenoid and the EVAP Vent Valve ON when the conditions are met in order to apply an engine vacuum to the EVAP system. The ECM commands the EVAP Purge Solenoid OFF once the system has reached a predetermined level of vacuum. This test verifies if a vacuum can be achieved in the EVAP system. Failure to develop a vacuum may be caused by a large leak or a restriction.

Read more: https://www.autocodes.com/p0442_hyundai.html

On the positive side I hear a well cared for ML will be available soon.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:04 pm »
Sounds like it would be easy to burn to the ground now.

Right?  Fack me.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2017, 06:18:33 pm »

:rofl:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2017, 06:56:11 pm »
Erase the code, and drive straight in to trade in on something new...let somebody else deal with this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:27 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2017, 01:10:13 pm »
Improperly put on fuel cap is #1 cause for this
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:53 pm »
If it is the fuel cap  it will take a few starts and it will clear.    My Q5 threw this after I pulled out the dipstick with the engine running.

On the other hand, a mechanic could have dislodged a hose while fiddling in the engine compartment fixing the car.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2017, 08:09:40 pm »
On the other hand, a mechanic could have dislodged a hose while fiddling in the engine compartment fixing the car.

This is what my boyfriend suspects, as it's never thrown a gas cap code before.  I have checked and rechecked that gas cap multiple times.  There's nothing new or different about the way it attaches to the filler neck, or whatever that's called.

Oddly, and perhaps it's because today was a cooler day than yesterday, I smelled nothing in the cabin when I took the car out this morning.

So annoying.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2017, 08:34:34 pm »

:rofl:

Yep...intensely maintained!

Call me  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2017, 08:17:09 am »
Yep...intensely maintained!

Call me  ;D

;D  Sure, I'll get right on that.   :rofl2:

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:45 pm »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2017, 12:40:26 pm »
 :rofl2:

UPDATE:  The evap testing revealed pinholes around the filler neck (the part that's visible only when you take the tire and wheel well liner off) due to rusting.  They patched the holes, CEL is now off.  So odd that this is only happening now.  The light may come back on within the next few days, I'm told.  Great.

I'm actually off today.  If it wasn't pouring rain out there, I'd be at dealerships doing test drives right now. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2017, 12:53:46 pm »
Don't let e little thing like rain stop you.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2017, 12:56:32 pm »
Even better when it rains so you can test out NVH better.. and dealerships will be quieter which hopefully translates to faster service.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2017, 05:20:23 pm »
If the car isn't 8 years old it may be all free.

8-YEAR/130,000 KILOMETRE MAJOR EMISSION DEFECT & PERFORMANCE WARRANTY

Covers repair or replacement of the following original Hyundai major emissions control components that cause the vehicle to fail to conform to federal emissions regulations:

Catalytic Converter
Engine Control Module
Onboard Emissions Diagnostic Device (OBD-II)
Other emissions warranty parts are covered under the 5-Year/100,000 kilometre New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Well, this is awkward and weird.

When I called my dealership service department last week, asking about my warranty, I was told I was no longer covered.  I was bummed, told her it was my ECM, and she was only sympathetic.  As it happens, the service manager was there, and saw my file on her computer after I hung up the phone.  Turns out, he is my former SA from Volkswagen, when I had the Jetta, and recognized my name!  He left me a message that night, just wanting to say hi.  I tried to return the call, but it was after hours and I couldn't get through.  Then I forgot about it.

He called me again a few minutes ago.  Apparently, Meineke should have known that this would have been covered under federal law at no charge, per my2cent's post, above.  My car was originally put on the road in June 2009.  I should not have paid for this repair!  He's going to try to get me reimbursed.  I have a couple of recalls that need addressing, as well, so I'm going in tomorrow morning.

Oh, and my instincts were right.  When I told him that I was not happy with Hyundai products these days, he said that the next things that will fail are the oil pressure switch, the rear valve cover gasket and the timing belt cover.  And maybe the oil pan gasket.  Clearly, he's not a sales guy.   :rofl2:

Any hesitation I had about getting rid of the Santa Fe is truly gone, now.  And it won't be replaced by a Hyundai product, either.

Geez.  What a day.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2017, 05:31:05 pm »
You must've been at the VW service department regularly for him to recognize you! 😂

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2017, 05:40:45 pm »
Oh, and my instincts were right.  When I told him that I was not happy with Hyundai products these days, he said that the next things that will fail are the oil pressure switch, the rear valve cover gasket and the timing belt cover.  And maybe the oil pan gasket.  Clearly, he's not a sales guy.   :rofl2:

None of those items sound particularly expensive to repair/replace ...