Author Topic: ‘Pay as you go’ auto insurance rolls out in Ontario  (Read 3409 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
‘Pay as you go’ auto insurance rolls out in Ontario
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:57 am »
https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/05/23/pay-as-you-go-auto-insurance-rolls-out-in-ontario.html

Wonder how many people will go for this? Also wonder what other information they are pulling from your car with this device.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: ‘Pay as you go’ auto insurance rolls out in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:42:46 am »
It really makes sense for city dwellers /EV owners with small range.

I'm glad I didn't do any such thing. When I bought my Fit I was told mileage does not impact premium with my insurance company (might be because I don't commute by car). To be safe I said 30000 km, expecting to hit maybe 22. I did 33 000  ;D

The data mining is also a concern for sure.

Offline smallbutmighty-lady

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • smallbutmighty-lady
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Hyundai Elantra
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 08:58:32 pm »
I personally don’t like not knowing exactly how much I need to budget for auto insurance on a monthly basis. So I wouldn’t do this. And my driving is erratic so that adds to the fluctuation in costs... good idea for people who rarely drive though. But it’s not really a “pay as you go”. Even if you don’t use your vehicle you still need to have it insured. If it’s plated and registered especially. Smart brokers/agents/insurance companies won’t allow a person to be completely without insurance. The liability is too great. Like what if someone hit your car and you had no insurance on it because of this “pay as you go concept”? Or if your car miraculously rolled onto a person and you didn’t have any coverage because you weren’t driving your car that week/month? Bottom line is, there will always be a base premium you have to pay. Regardless of what that is it could still be costly. Choose wisely.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:29:03 am »
Love to have this for motorcycles. 
Most people I know who don't ride any longer say it's because insurance is too stupid in Ontario for motorcycles.

I have a GPZ900 that never gets ridden because insurance is nuts.
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
^^

Add sleds to that.  Use 3 times a winter and pay $200 for liability.  That and the trail pass and sticker and it's a no go.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:13:03 am »
Ideally I'd like to have a single liability charge and add on vehicles separately without additional liability charges for each of them.
I can only drive one at a time, I get charged for driving all of them all of the time.

Offline bugmenot

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: cars
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:34:27 am »
Ideally I'd like to have a single liability charge and add on vehicles separately without additional liability charges for each of them.
I can only drive one at a time, I get charged for driving all of them all of the time.
Good luck in this!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:00:35 pm »
For full details on data use of the device please refer to the CAA MyPace Terms and Conditions, or contact your CAA Insurance Agent.

The CAA MyPace program uses the device to record and bill for kilometres used by the enrolled vehicle.

The device also collects the following additional information:

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
    If the device is connected or disconnected
    Time and date
    Vehicle location (GPS)
    Vehicle diagnostic information
    Vehicle speed
    Accelerometer data

https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto/caa-mypace?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLbosu316gIV14TVCh1buwnKEAAYASAAEgIyJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 06:21:23 pm »

Time and date
    Vehicle location (GPS)
    Vehicle speed
    Accelerometer data

I still have say no (yet) to any spying monitoring device for insurance tracking / billing purpose. I hope it never become mandatory.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 06:58:26 pm »
For full details on data use of the device please refer to the CAA MyPace Terms and Conditions, or contact your CAA Insurance Agent.

The CAA MyPace program uses the device to record and bill for kilometres used by the enrolled vehicle.

The device also collects the following additional information:

Time and date
    Vehicle location (GPS)
    Vehicle speed
    Accelerometer data

https://www.caasco.com/insurance/auto/caa-mypace?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvLbosu316gIV14TVCh1buwnKEAAYASAAEgIyJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd do this....if I had a Prius.   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...