Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco  (Read 13801 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 10:21:22 pm »
You are welcome to purchase a subscription and verify them. A link will not work for those with no subscription. Around 20 bucks a year. Go for it.

No thanks.  My toaster is still doin the jobbie.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2012, 08:21:45 pm »
I am not impressed with this model at all. I liked the old one better.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:05 pm »
"Narrowed focus

Barra said she has worked with her global team over the past few months to narrow GM's electrification focus. In the past, GM sought to "cover the waterfront" by pursuing myriad powertrain technologies, but that approach is too costly and inefficient, she said."

"Through October, GM has sold more than 26,000 eAssist vehicles, Barra said. By 2017, GM expects to sell 500,000 vehicles a year globally with some form of electrification, from mild hybrids to pure electrics, Barra said. That would equal about 6 percent of the roughly 9 million vehicles GM sold globally in 2011."

I don't get what GM is trying to say here. We'll focus on the plug but will make whatever works, sells or does not... That's one hell of a strategy.
Why not develop or license a parallel hybrid powertrain from or similar to Toyota's and then gradually add kWhours of storage and a plug as Li-ion cells become more and more affordable? Just make use of what works and makes money, instead of being an old and arrogant self. Look at what the same Toyota did when they needed a good "compliance" plugin - they got Tesla make a new Rav EV. There is no shame in getting the best for your customer.
Instead, from the sound of it, for the sake of looking "green", GM will continue with the lame mild e-assist; heavy, expensive, not too efficient and subsidized Volt design; and finally a small city car with a limited range and prospects a.k.a. Spark.
Speaking of the latter, this should be the one to focus on in the long term as pure EV as simple in design and should be reliable, while the battery prices will inevitably come down and the charging infrastructure become more common. Meanwhile - diesels, light H.S. Steel and aluminum bodies and more efficient transmissions are the way to stay competitive on a budget.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Gardiner Westbound

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2012, 07:07:21 am »
I don't get what GM is trying to say here. We'll focus on the plug but will make whatever works, sells or does not... That's one hell of a strategy.

GM's electric car strategy is political. It's about making its benefactor, President Obama, look good. He has plowed billions of dollars into battery and electric car research with little to show for it. The Malibu-Eco gives the administration something to point at. Bonus: It diverts attention away from the Obamacar, the Chevrolet Volt. Every one of them sold has US$250,000 of taxpayer money taped to the hood. There is almost zero consumer demand.

"When you invent a better mousetrap the mice tend to get smarter." - Willie Gingrich

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2012, 09:46:13 am »
One wonders how much ecco there is in any of this when the overall extra manufacturing and polution there from and oil used to do it all is considered. I think that the ecconomy of the gas engine has long been reduced to it's max. Enough oil required to provide food for the population, is not there either. We continue to be creative to try and support the continued expansion of the ways of life when the very aspect of the expansion is the problem.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:55 pm »
The Malibu-Eco gives the administration something to point at.

E-assist was around prior to bankruptcy: Mailbu, Aura, Vue and Silverado.  It's still virtually unknown.

Bonus: It diverts attention away from the Obamacar

How are you holding up?   :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »

GM's electric car strategy is political. It's about making its benefactor, President Obama, look good. He has plowed billions of dollars into battery and electric car research with little to show for it. The Malibu-Eco gives the administration something to point at. Bonus: It diverts attention away from the Obamacar, the Chevrolet Volt. Every one of them sold has US$250,000 of taxpayer money taped to the hood. There is almost zero consumer demand.

The Prius program (all models) has cost roughly $9B since it's first year. Were all the development costs recouped in the program's first year?

The mild hybrid thing long pre-dates the Bush auto bailout. If the Republicans went along with the bailout, and came up with the initial idea, you can be assured that the situation was fairly apocalyptic. 

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1208/16740.html

Obama had nothing to do with the Volt development. It was in the works during the Bush administration. The first concept was shown to the public in 2007. GM is sticking with it for the same reason Toyota stuck with the Prius. It's an environmental halo car which may be a game changer over time.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2012, 02:50:18 pm »
The Volt was a concept prior to BK, but it became the poster child for the bailout. 

GM is sticking with the Volt because it has no other choice.  The minute the US government is no longer the majority shareholder the Volt will be history. 

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 05:44:19 pm »
The Volt was a concept prior to BK, but it became the poster child for the bailout. 

GM is sticking with the Volt because it has no other choice.  The minute the US government is no longer the majority shareholder the Volt will be history.

:censor:. The Volt was designed and approved for production before the bankruptcy.

They are staying with it because it is the best hybrid technology available, not only are they not moving away from it, they are expanding the Volt based fleet with two new vehicles, and are constantly refining and improving the basic Volt architecture.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/gm-offering-big-discounts-to-spark-more-volt-sales-1.967341

Some interesting Volt statistics. Surely with these kind of lease offers the car is bound to be a success.  ;)
Now GM will expand this miracle architecture to more models and quietly wait for the next bail out  ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2012, 06:58:40 pm »
The Volt was designed and approved for production before the bankruptcy.

On a table napkin.  ;D

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2012, 07:01:05 pm »
 ::)   with grease prints on it all the way to the White House..............Obamaharponi artic.... :rofl2: :stick: :banghead: :stfu:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2012, 07:33:32 pm »
http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/gm-offering-big-discounts-to-spark-more-volt-sales-1.967341

Some interesting Volt statistics. Surely with these kind of lease offers the car is bound to be a success.  ;)
Now GM will expand this miracle architecture to more models and quietly wait for the next bail out  ;D
Have you drove one?
It rides and handles very nice

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2012, 07:46:01 pm »

Have you drove one?

Eh. So does a SkyActiv Mazda3, and that's much cheaper than $40K. ;)

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2012, 08:08:41 pm »

Have you drove one?

So ???

I would not  touch a Mazda 3 , too small , too low, and what does a Mazda 3 have to do with an electric car?
What we  have here is another so called car reviewer with a website with no readership throwing in his 2 cents  in  ;D >:D

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2012, 09:58:11 pm »

Have you drove one?

So ???

I would not  touch a Mazda 3 , too small , too low, and what does a Mazda 3 have to do with an electric car?
What we  have here is another so called car reviewer with a website with no readership throwing in his 2 cents  in  ;D >:D

The 3 is not small or low and it gets the same mileage as a Volt (once it's charge is gone).  Sounds  like a good comparision to me.  It's also a great car to drive and it's affordable.  Perhaps you should try one.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:23 pm »

Have you drove one?

So ???

Electric car? Oh, you must have driven a different Volt than I did. Mine also had a gas tank.

Also, no readership? I think you should check your facts and try again. Analytics speak louder than words, my friend. :)

By the way, in my opinion, the Leaf, which is a TRUE electric car, is much more joyful (to drive and live with on a day-to-day basis) than the Volt.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 10:36:34 pm by vantage007 »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2012, 11:42:39 pm »
The Mazda3 is a pretty good car. So is the Leaf. What they can't do is commute for weeks without adding gasoline and still take the occasional road trip.

This site tracks Volt fuel economy. Median fuel economy is currently sitting at 198.06 mpg.

https://www.voltstats.net/

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2012, 06:56:14 am »

Have you drove one?

So ???

Electric car? Oh, you must have driven a different Volt than I did. Mine also had a gas tank.

Also, no readership? I think you should check your facts and try again. Analytics speak louder than words, my friend. :)

By the way, in my opinion, the Leaf, which is a TRUE electric car, is much more joyful (to drive and live with on a day-to-day basis) than the Volt.
You are not a very smart one, what drives the the electric motor on the Volt dumb ass?

The leaf may get power from nukes, NG, water , or coa,l same as a Volt , but the Volt also uses gasoline

Been to your website once , so has anyone else ? Another  waste of a space on the Internet

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:22 am »
The Mazda3 is a pretty good car. So is the Leaf. What they can't do is commute for weeks without adding gasoline and still take the occasional road trip.

This site tracks Volt fuel economy. Median fuel economy is currently sitting at 198.06 mpg.

https://www.voltstats.net/

How does it drive when the battery is depleted? My understanding is the gas engine will drone at a rather high RPM trying to charge the battery but I doubt the 1.3 will provide enough power for a safe passing maneuver especially when not directly connected to the drivetrain. Am I wrong?