Author Topic: Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour vs. General AltiMAX RT43  (Read 2837 times)

Offline logic

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Sienna V6 LE FWD
Good day :-)

I need a new set of tires on my 2013 Sienna. Almost all of the driving we do is city driving, and we live in Winnipeg where it is winter 8 months of the year. I have been given some really quite decent quotes by a local establishment on a couple of tire options: the Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour and the General AltiMAX RT43.

I have been trying to decide on which to buy. The Google has told me that these tires are generally both highly-reviewed by people who have used them. The consensus seems to be that the Uniroyal tires are slightly nicer in dry conditions, possibly slightly quieter, but the General tires wear more slowly and have better traction in snowy conditions. The General AltiMAX tires are quite a bit cheaper than the Uniroyal tires. While this doesn't automatically mean anything about quality, I can't help escape the ingrained feeling of, "You get what you pay for" -- but the reputed winter handling of the AltiMAX tires is keeping me on the fence at this point. I have nothing other than these random Internet reviews to go on, so I was wondering whether there might be some educated opinions here that could guide my choice.

Does anyone have experience with these tires? Can anyone confirm or deny the information I found with a Google search? (I've heard of nasty tricks like people being paid to write positive reviews of products, so I'm not sure how much to trust. :-)

Thanks very much,

JDG

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
Re: Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country Tour vs. General AltiMAX RT43
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:18:20 pm »
The Tire Rack gives the Generals a good rating.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

Personally, if they come in the size to fit your vehicle I'd go with the Michelin Premier A/S.  They're an excellent tire.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:29:27 pm by 84im »
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:24:43 pm »
I would take General over Uniroyal any day.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:24 am »
I've been in an LS with the RT43. Very quiet, good impact absorption.

I'd personally get these tires.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:37:31 am »
General is a 2nd tier tire manufacturer (Goodyear, Bridgestone and Michelin being top tier).  Uniroyal is close to the bottom.

Go with the Generals.

Oh, and being in Winnipeg, seriously consider taking advantage of MPI's winter tire program in order to get yourself a good set of winter tires for your Sienna.  They make a HUGE difference in our climate. 

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:54:05 am »
Have had six sets of General tires over the years, including the RT43's currently on our Sienna.  Great value brand.  The only thing is maybe high road noise once they get a few years old.
However, I would never attempt to get through a GTA winter on the RT43's, if I understand your intent.
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:15:00 pm »
Maybe find a set of all weather tires if you only want 1 set of tires

Offline logic

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Sienna V6 LE FWD
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:40:31 pm »
Thanks so much for all the feedback!

If I could add another tire or two to the mix, how do you feel the General AltiMAX RT43 stacks up against the BF Goodridge Advantage T/A Sport? Or perhaps the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia?

The quotes I originally received .. accidentally .. omitted the installation fee. (Was specifically told they did include it, then later on, "Oops, I got that wrong, here's the real price!")

Thanks again,

Jonathan Gilbert