Author Topic: What Toy Would You Pick for <$20k?  (Read 42400 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: What Toy Would You Pick for &lt;$20k?
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2021, 09:01:57 pm »

Funnily enough, same for me. I took Snowy's out for the day and drove it pretty hard. It was OK, but nothing special. An S1 or S2 Elise is soooo much better IMHO, but I can't deal with Ron's constant kit car comments so I never say anything.

NO WAY!! The car that's lighter than an S2000 by like 1000 pounds feels more special? NO FREAKING WAY!!  Who'd have thunk it!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Well if you're using that as a comparison..no wonder.    :rofl: :rofl2: There are few (if any) cars from that era that compare in absolute handling feel with an Elise.  2ZZ Toyota engine is similarly high strung to the S2000 mill...which is cool.

It certainly depends what your benchmark is.

I still think the S2000 is fantastic....and shifter is still the among the best (the best?) I've ever sampled.

**EDIT**  Just read the Elise was $7,500 USD more than an S2000. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:12:31 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
Re: What Toy Would You Pick for &lt;$20k?
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2021, 09:16:51 pm »
Hmmmm, everything posted above has been great & I agree with it all. I'll 3rd or 4th the idea of a SLK-55 like mine so a R171 version. Mine is a 2006 & had 53k kms on it & I was right at your price point.

And I'll go back to my previous car... a 944 Turbo is a fun summer car with a small usable back seat.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: What Toy Would You Pick for <$20k?
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2021, 09:24:10 pm »
Older but no roof...

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/camaro/surrey/british%20columbia/5_48742322_bs200461513833/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=9_15_109&pc=J4B%200A3&sprx=-1

I've been lusting after this for months...So pretty. It's a really weird spec too, full jam base model convertible with a 5-sp and the TBI 305 (ugh...but the best engine available on the base model). Very weird that someone would order it this way and no just get an Iroc which would've been more or less the same money vs. how this was optioned. Interior is kinda rough, and the price is high for what it is...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:12 pm »
There's no way I'd want to do a 2+ hour trip in something like a Miata, S2K, 370Z, Z3/4.

Really? You wet lettuce.  :rofl2:

I drove through France and back in the Exige, not bother at all.

I've done it, commuted 3 hours a day in an SLK for a couple years, and grew up in a household where a freaking MGA was my moms primary vehicle for most of my childhood. I am just over it....Sitting on the highway for hours on end at 3500rpm, cramped quarters, arguing with the wife about what baggage to take. There's a reason why GT cars exist, so gimme one of them for those kind of trips. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2021, 10:55:33 pm »
There's no way I'd want to do a 2+ hour trip in something like a Miata, S2K, 370Z, Z3/4.

I've done it, commuted 3 hours a day in an SLK for a couple years, and grew up in a household where a freaking MGA was my moms primary vehicle for most of my childhood. I am just over it....Sitting on the highway for hours on end at 3500rpm, cramped quarters, arguing with the wife about what baggage to take. There's a reason why GT cars exist, so gimme one of them for those kind of trips.

I try to avoid highways if I'm in a nice car on a road trip.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2021, 11:24:22 pm »

I try to avoid highways if I'm in a nice car on a road trip.

Agreed.

Not always possible though....I mean, unless you have absolutely no timeline to follow.

But I agree..off the beaten path is the way to go.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2021, 12:04:14 am »
I agree too, but a lot of times that's just not practical. Last big trip we took in an interesting car was Cincinnati in the 85 T/A a few years back. We had a timeline so boogied it there all highway (401 and then straight down I75) in about 7 hours. On the way home we had less of timeline so explored a bit and took backroads back up though Ohio, but then it's still another 5 hours of highway to get home.
In the T/A, perfectly comfortable...Mrs.Firm went shopping at the outlet down there, no worries about fitting everything in for the trip home. Her passenger seat fully reclines so she could sleep comfortable for a portion of it. Road noise, drone, w/e are not an issue and the car cruised at 2000-2100rpm (3.23 gears, otherwise it would've been even more relaxed). Would do it again in that car in a heartbeat, and frankly a 35 year old Trans Am is a pretty shitty GT car by modern standards. I would not do that trip in any of the aforementioned buzzy 2-seaters unless I had no other options.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2021, 12:09:51 am »
I agree too, but a lot of times that's just not practical. Last big trip we took in an interesting car was Cincinnati in the 85 T/A a few years back. We had a timeline so boogied it there all highway (401 and then straight down I75) in about 7 hours. On the way home we had less of timeline so explored a bit and took backroads back up though Ohio, but then it's still another 5 hours of highway to get home.
In the T/A, perfectly comfortable...Mrs.Firm went shopping at the outlet down there, no worries about fitting everything in for the trip home. Her passenger seat fully reclines so she could sleep comfortable for a portion of it. Road noise, drone, w/e are not an issue and the car cruised at 2000-2100rpm (3.23 gears, otherwise it would've been even more relaxed). Would do it again in that car in a heartbeat, and frankly a 35 year old Trans Am is a pretty shitty GT car by modern standards. I would not do that trip in any of the aforementioned buzzy 2-seaters unless I had no other options.

I would easily do that in an MX-5 no problem, it's pretty nice inside, and has a decent trunk too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2021, 12:13:56 am »
^^I think so too, Bob.

It's pretty refined as far as sporty 2 seaters go IMO.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2021, 09:12:30 am »

So I assume this would apply to your British roadsters as well ?
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2021, 10:27:56 am »
An S2000 is much more iconic IMHO. The 370Z will just keep depreciating.

True about the 370Z depreciating -- esp. as the 400Z comes out.

S2000 is the most overrated car I can recall driving.  Hard no on those for me.

(Now that I've said that, fast-forward 3 months and that's probably what I'll have in the garage  :-X )

FWIW I found the S2000 to be really overrated as well.

S2000 would be a fantastic track car.  On the road at normal speed it feel like a civic.  If i kept my S2000 i would have eventually lost my license. Built like a tank though, so no question in that regard.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2021, 10:30:45 am »

100%; nice ride through the backroads and hills for an hour or two, perfect. Whipping around in the city, awesome. Road tripping any significant distance, pass.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2021, 10:35:08 am »

100%; nice ride through the backroads and hills for an hour or two, perfect. Whipping around in the city, awesome. Road tripping any significant distance, pass.

Have to disagree with you on the S2000.  It's a great car for road trips.  I had no issues travelling in that for 3 - 4 hours at a stretch.  No problem driving 130km/h on the hwy with the top down.  Had decent trunk space as well. 

Z3M not so good for long road trips because it's too small.  I'm good for an hour in that before i need to stop for a break/stretch.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:39 am »

Have to disagree with you on the S2000.  It's a great car for road trips.  I had no issues travelling in that for 3 - 4 hours at a stretch.  No problem driving 130km/h on the hwy with the top down.  Had decent trunk space as well. 

Z3M not so good for long road trips because it's too small.  I'm good for an hour in that before i need to stop for a break/stretch.

I guess everyone has a different tolerance. I've done a few stints in 'The Hires' S2K, including one run last summer where we crossed the GTA on the 407, top down and at a pretty urgent pace. We both agreed then that it's not a highway car.

For me, I like having the right tool for the job...which is probably why I've got a pretty wide range of vehicles in the fleet. There's an ideal format for every drive, and it sorta bugs me to drive something that's not 'right' for the task at hand.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2021, 10:44:56 am »

A friend of mine is planning a cross-Canada trip with his wife in a Miata in a few months.  They are going to update from a NB to a NC, make sure it has AC, but that's it.
Mr Pickypants

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2021, 10:50:56 am »

I guess everyone has a different tolerance. I've done a few stints in 'The Hires' S2K, including one run last summer where we crossed the GTA on the 407, top down and at a pretty urgent pace. We both agreed then that it's not a highway car.

For me, I like having the right tool for the job...which is probably why I've got a pretty wide range of vehicles in the fleet. There's an ideal format for every drive, and it sorta bugs me to drive something that's not 'right' for the task at hand.

Oh, man, how do people with a mere one or two vehicles do it?  My life must have really sucked when all I had was a Ford Ranger and I was using for everything from commuting to day-long road trips.   :rofl2: :P

Or that Hyundai Accent that didn't have cruise control, AC, or power windows. 

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2021, 10:51:12 am »
You can get used to anything (if you are willing to put up with inconvenience and pain!), I drove coast to coast on a motorcycle.

A Miata would like a Winnebago

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2021, 11:43:09 am »
You can get used to anything (if you are willing to put up with inconvenience and pain!), I drove coast to coast on a motorcycle.

A Miata would like a Winnebago

Of you could just rough it..... ::)